Untangling The Contender Barrel Fit Delima.

I have an older TC Contender...it's not a G2, so I guess it's the earlier model. I have a .22 Hornet barrel on it, that will handle small game and varmints. I'm looking to purchase a larger caliber barrel that would fill the bill for larger game...up through deer, and give me longer range at the same time. I'm thinking nothing smaller than .223, and probably something like .30-30, .30-06, .35 rem, or maybe a pistol round like a .357 Mag...and a 14" barrel.

Now comes the confusion! I've spent countless hours on specific forums trying to educate myself on exactly what barrels will fit my earlier Contender. Some say this is very restrictive, on the earlier model Contenders. Others say many of the barrels will fit the older Contenders. I know some barrels have a one piece bolt lock, and some have a split bolt lock. Which ones will fit my early model Contender...I want a longer barrel, so will a Super 14" barrel fit my gun. What is the difference in a regular 14" barrel and a "Super 14" barrel? Any help is greatly appreciated.

• Like 1

I know of somebody with a late 1960s TC Contender.   It was purchased with .357Mag and .22WMR barrels, so .357 is definitely GTG!  They've also got a .222 Rem (purchased new with the gun),and a .410/.45LC.  All of that being said, I'd go for a .357/.44, the frames can handle it, they're easy to reload for, and EXTREMELY accurate, and I wouldn't hesitate to take a shot (at a reasonable distance) with a .44Mag!  

As for the split lock/one piece lock, I'd have to go dig mine out and check, but I "think" that all of mine use the single piece.  If I remember right, I did quite a bit of research and found that the split lugs came along as TC started doing the Easy Open conversions on the G1 Contender frames (NOT advised to send it in).  

I know of somebody with a late 1960s TC Contender.   It was purchased with .357Mag and .22WMR barrels, so .357 is definitely GTG!  They've also got a .222 Rem (purchased new with the gun),and a .410/.45LC.  All of that being said, I'd go for a .357/.44, the frames can handle it, they're easy to reload for, and EXTREMELY accurate, and I wouldn't hesitate to take a shot (at a reasonable distance) with a .44Mag!  

As for the split lock/one piece lock, I'd have to go dig mine out and check, but I "think" that all of mine use the single piece.  If I remember right, I did quite a bit of research and found that the split lugs came along as TC started doing the Easy Open conversions on the G1 Contender frames (NOT advised to send it in).  

WK05, thanks for your reply. I can't remember, but I think my contender is around a 1979 year model. Mine does not have the "easy open" frame, as the pivot pin is all the way forward. If it's closed with any force or speed, it's a bear to get to open! More questions...there seems like there always is...can the longer barrels (16" or longer) be put on the earlier TC Contenders to make a carbine in rifle calibers? Some have said that the "split locking lugs" would make my Contender open much easier...any thoughts on that?

I see a ton of barrels, in all calibers, on eBay. But, I'm worried that some of the hotter calibers, like the 220 Swift, 22-250, and some others may have been shot out...especially if hot hand loads have been shot through them. Have you encountered any TC Contender barrels that were shot out?

I was hoping that I could find a barrel locally...that I could actually put on my frame, to make sure it would fit properly. How do you tell if the barrels don't fit properly...will the gun just not lock up, or is there something else to look for? Thanks again for your help.

You are limited in caliber to what you can put on a Contender. With an Encore, almost anything goes. The rifle calibers you have mentioned, 30-06, 220Swift, 22-250, are not Contender calibers.

For deer sized game, the Contender can handle the 30-30 and 7-30 Waters, both are factory loadings and plenty of power for anything in the South.

Edited by Westwindmike

Mike hit the nail on the head for the caliber selection.  I think a .30-30 barrel, or any of the magnum handgun calibers should do the trick with a longer barrel length.  Also, check out JDJ Barrels if you really want to make it something unique.  Lots of caliber choices, and they'll make it to your specs, and ensure it will be safe with your frame.  

Westwindmike & wk05, thanks for your information. I have a .223 barrel inbound until I can find the right deer barrel, probably a .30-30 as I have other guns in that caliber, and can reload for the round. If a .357 Mag shows up in a 14" barrel, I'll probably go that way for the same reason I mentioned on the .30-30...I can reload for it. I'm trying to keep my calibers inline with guns I already have in the same calibers.

the 60's, 70's and 80's barrels will fit the same frames.  that is what i got.  for the 90 and up i don't know.  there were some changes in the late 90's.  all of my tc guns are the older frames and barrels.  super 14 barrels make for a good shooter.  the 10 inch bull barrels are good shooter too.  come to think of it all of my tc's are good shooters.  the 7 tcu is one of the best. 

• Like 1

the 60's, 70's and 80's barrels will fit the same frames.  that is what i got.  for the 90 and up i don't know.  there were some changes in the late 90's.  all of my tc guns are the older frames and barrels.  super 14 barrels make for a good shooter.  the 10 inch bull barrels are good shooter too.  come to think of it all of my tc's are good shooters.  the 7 tcu is one of the best. 

Frank, that's good news! Do you know if they make the earlier "60's, 70's and 80's  barrels in the 14" length? For some reason, I got the idea that a Super 14 barrel was a later model barrel. If so, did they make the .30-30 barrel in a 14" barrel...how about the .223? It would be nice if there were a chart that showed what barrels would fit what frames.

My apologies to Dolomite. I wrote your number down on something, and now I can't find it.

I've got a 14 in both .223 and 7mmTCU and they are tack drivers. The 7mm would be a great deer caliber. I've taken varmints out to 150 yards with the .223 and it could easily stretch on out there. The split bolts I believe were the second generation but I think both the solid bolt and split bolt work on the same frame.

i only got one super 14 barrel and it is in 223.  the rest of my barrels are 10 inch bull.  i remember seeing the super 14 barrels in the early 80's. but we did not buy them, no body used them in pistol matches.  10 inch barrels was what everybody used in small bore hunter pistol, hunter pistol and long range pistol matches.  when tc hit the market they made lots of rifle and wild cat rounds barrels along with just about every major pistol cal.  i wish i kept the 9mm tc barrel that i had.  but in the 70's and early 80's no body wanted a 9mm.  the only 9mm ammo in those days were overseas war surplus ammo.  not like it is today.  the 9mm did not take off until the army went over to it.  

It looks like most Contender owners have more than one barrel, to flesh out the utility of the gun. Mine came with a .22 hornet, which should fill the lower end of the varmint and small game category. Like I said, I have a .223 barrel inbound, which should push that range out there a bit. I haven't been deer hunting in years, so I guess I have plenty of time to work on finding that .30-30 in a Super 14 barrel. My other guns, chambered in .30-30, have a bit of recoil. How is the Contender in recoil with a .30-30  barrel? Of course, with reloading, I can manage a lot of that with the loads.

I have heard the 30-30 can be a bit stiff, especially as a pistol.

How long of a .30-30 barrel would fit on the early model Contender? It seems to me that a longer barrel would add more weight to help with the recoil. Is the 16" barrel the longest you can put on a pistol? Where do most Contender shooters transition to the regular stock...barrels longer than 16"? I'm thinking if it has a regular stock the barrel has to be at least 18", right? I know the Contender is versatile... but just don't want to get my rear in trouble here!

many mango season ago in west texas i shot several different tc cals in the search to find a backup pistol for my xp-100 in long range silhouette matches.  i tried 30-30, 35 rem, 44 mag, 7mm tcu, and others.  i went with the 7tcu.  what a round.  great knock down power and kicks too.   fun to shoot, just hold it as far away from your face as you can.  during a three gun match one day i was shooting a tc in 22lr, a xp-100 in 7mm-308, and the tc in 7tcu.  at the second set i just finish with the 22lr and move to the 7tcu set.  well as things goes, i hold the 22lr close to my face to get a good sight picture. a tc in 22lr does not kick.  i used the same aimpoint system on all of the different silhouette pistols.  so up on the firing line with the 7tcu. i load and pull the 7tcu up to my face like it was the 22lr.  well you can guest what happen next.  i pulled the trigger and broke my shooting glasses and open a big cut on my forehead.  i was the talk of the day during the match.  but i did know down the ram.

many mango season ago in west texas i shot several different tc cals in the search to find a backup pistol for my xp-100 in long range silhouette matches.  i tried 30-30, 35 rem, 44 mag, 7mm tcu, and others.  i went with the 7tcu.  what a round.  great knock down power and kicks too.   fun to shoot, just hold it as far away from your face as you can.  during a three gun match one day i was shooting a tc in 22lr, a xp-100 in 7mm-308, and the tc in 7tcu.  at the second set i just finish with the 22lr and move to the 7tcu set.  well as things goes, i hold the 22lr close to my face to get a good sight picture. a tc in 22lr does not kick.  i used the same aimpoint system on all of the different silhouette pistols.  so up on the firing line with the 7tcu. i load and pull the 7tcu up to my face like it was the 22lr.  well you can guest what happen next.  i pulled the trigger and broke my shooting glasses and open a big cut on my forehead.  i was the talk of the day during the match.  but i did know down the ram.

Frank, thanks for that shooting story. You're not alone when it comes to people with little circular scars in their eye brows! Ask me how I know! I got my "scope scar" when I was about 21 years old...shooting a cannon in Alaska. Now, I'm an old cuss, and don't want to have to put up with too much recoil on my Contender, but want a round that will take a deer down with a clean kill. I know shot placement is the ticket, and that many deer run after they're shot, but I want to hear them crash before they run too far. I'm thinking that I might also want to be able to whack a wild hog with the same round. I do reloading, but wanted to be able to buy a common round...at a reasonable price...as I'll kill far more paper and tin cans than I will deer and hogs. So, I'm looking for a barrel that will fit my early model Contender, in Super 14, in a caliber that has decent knock down power, but won't put any more scars on this old noggin. What do you guys recommend? Oh yea, being an old cuss means price is an important factor too. So, it needs to be a reasonably priced barrel (can't afford some exotic special built barrel) and the ammo needs to be a round that won't break the bank. Thanks.

if you are going to use it for hunting i would look for a super 14 barrel in either 30-30, 35 rem, or 44 mag.    it has been a long time since i seen a reasonably priced barrel.  gone are the days of $65.00 barrels.  we use to buy and swap barrel around on a whim.  not anymore.  a full tc gun these days brings a good price.   

if you are going to use it for hunting i would look for a super 14 barrel in either 30-30, 35 rem, or 44 mag.    it has been a long time since i seen a reasonably priced barrel.  gone are the days of $65.00 barrels.  we use to buy and swap barrel around on a whim.  not anymore.  a full tc gun these days brings a good price.   

I just got a barrel in this afternoon that I bought. It's a 10" factory bull barrel with a target crown, and Hi Vis open sights on it. I didn't get a chance to shoot it this afternoon though...maybe tomorrow. I imagine the muzzle blast is going to be pretty loud on this barrel. I was trying to find a reasonably priced Super 14 in .223, but didn't have any luck. There's a fellow that wanted to sell me a 12" .35 Rem ported barrel, but it was more than I wanted to pay. Also, I was a little worried about the recoil on my Contender...I have the same concerns about recoil on the .30-30 barrel. If I were to shoot either, I may not be worried, but right now they're a mystery to me. It should be fun shooting this .223 and my .22 Hornet on my Contender.

I have a Contender .223 Super 14 barrel and I have only shot factory loads a few times through it. It shoots a flame about 3 feet long and pushes my eyeballs back with the pressure. Not much fun for me. Good for clearing the range.

I started loading my .223's down a bit using Blue Dot powder and 45-52gr bullets. There is some good info online for BD and .223. There are some cautions though. You could easily double or triple charge a case as you are using very little BD. The result of using BD and lighter bullets is very little recoil, blast and noise. The accuracy is very good too. I think that BD is not to be used below about 40 degrees if I remember correctly.

Here is link to some of the best info. There used to be more online, but "Rocky's Reloading Room" website is now gone.

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-446724.html

Hope this helps.

Westwindmike & Others,

Thanks for the information. I appreciate the  sharing of knowledge with a Contender newbie.

I went out and shot my Contender, with the new to me .223 bull barrel, and it was not as bad as I had expected. I shot it with ear plugs and North Gun Muffler ear muffs, and it was quite comfortable. I tried it with the sponge type ear plugs only, and it made my ears ring! I put about 10 rounds through it, but only two without the nice Gun Muffler ear muffs.

Didn't have enough room to set up targets and shoot for accuracy, mostly at soft drink bottles. But, hope to try it out at 100 yards next time. The barrel has a target crown on it and Hi Vis open sights, so it ought to do pretty good. Maybe good enough to lullaby a yote to sleep!

It's fun for now, but I'll keep looking for a longer barrel, then I'll probably let someone else play with this one.

Quick question for you yote hunters...when you're on stand with a gun that has a loud muzzle blast like this, what do you use for ear protection, that allows you to hear the coyotes talking? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have an original Contender that I bought sometime around 1975.  I wrote to TC and asked the same question.  Customer service told me the G2 and Encore barrels will NOT fit and function properly on an old style frame.