.22 LR needed for William Blount shooting team

Howdy to all - I saw a facebook post for the shooting team. It is made up of youngsters learning to shoot. They seem to be having problems finding .22LR as most of us have.

They asked for donations, but are willing to purchase the ammo for a fair price.

I AM NOT affiliated with this group - so I checked out there Facebook page to ensure they are real. In this world of distrust and lies it is unfortunate that I had to check.

Anywho, if you have an extra ammo that you can part with - you can contact a guy by the name of John Robert Hipps on Facebook.

I will be donating some ammo for the team since I have 53 millions rounds and can spare a few for the kids. :)

Y'all have a great day

Semper Fi

Joe

I went to their FB page looking for pics of the team doing some 22 shooting. Found only pics of them shooting shotguns, sporting clays, and duck hunting. I'm all for helping kids to shoot, but I can't find anything on there documenting their "Shooting Team" status.

Here is their "Mission".

Mission

To Teach kids of all ages how to be safe and have fun with Shotgun Sport.

Edited by Westwindmike

I contacted them through FB and was told they are going to shoot the "Steel Challenge" with pistols. Was told they have over 30 shooters and each one shoots 200 rounds per practice session.

If they practice once a week(not really enough), then they are shooting 6000 rounds per week!

I think they picked the wrong time to get into shooting .22's with the current ammo shortage. They should stick to trap and skeet.

I contacted them through FB and was told they are going to shoot the "Steel Challenge" with pistols. Was told they have over 30 shooters and each one shoots 200 rounds per practice session.

If they practice once a week(not really enough), then they are shooting 6000 rounds per week!

I think they picked the wrong time to get into shooting .22's with the current ammo shortage. They should stick to trap and skeet.

Be at Bass Pro in Sevierville tomorrow.  Its a well kept secret.  My dad has scored every Friday for many months now.  Its kept behind the gun counter at the register. 

Runco, that's a long drive for Mike to make ammo run ;) Very cool that your dad has been able to consistently find ammo there though!

Runco, that's a long drive for Mike to make ammo run ;) Very cool that your dad has been able to consistently find ammo there though!

If this is the same William Blount that is in Blount County, then a 40 min drive one way is not too much.  I live in Vonore, which is 20 minutes south of Maryville.  I drive that way often, and it is exactly 1 hour door to door from my home to BassPro.  So if you live in the area of William Blount High School, you are 20 min closer than me.  Now if 40 min. is still too far, probably really not wanted or needed.  Handouts are a different matter. :2cents:

If this is the same William Blount that is in Blount County, then a 40 min drive one way is not too much.  I live in Vonore, which is 20 minutes south of Maryville.  I drive that way often, and it is exactly 1 hour door to door from my home to BassPro.  So if you live in the area of William Blount High School, you are 20 min closer than me.  Now if 40 min. is still too far, probably really not wanted or needed.  Handouts are a different matter. :2cents:

I think you missed what I meant. I was joking because Westwindmike commented just above you and I thought you were pointing the Sevierville Bass Pro to him. 40min is definitely not to far to drive if you're in need of something.

• Like 1
Great to hear that these kids are shooting so often in this club. No doubt learning a lot about the shooting sports, becoming pro 2A supporters (future voters), and I'm sure the competition is healthy for them as well. I make it a top priority to support similar organizations, and as an instructor I start dozens of new shooters every year, many of them women and kids. I eagerly donate my time, supplies, equipment, gas, vacation days, and much ammo to the cause. Yet I wouldn't encourage donations of 22lr for shooting clubs like this during our current shortage, and I'll tell you why. Most competition clubs are going to have the same shooters shooting over and over again, for frequent practice and matches. Thus this one group of kids will burn through a large amount of a relatively scarce precious commodity that could otherwise be used to benefit many more shooters of similar age and circumstance. So rather than this club gobbling up 270,000 rounds in a year (30 shooters X 200 rounds per week X 45 shooting weeks per year), I would much rather see that same ammo be given out to 540 new shooters who would each get a full brick to get started shooting and have at least 3 or 4 normal shooting sessions. For clubs and competitive shooting I think they should focus on using ammo that is cheap and readily available, switching to airgun or reloading center-fire cartridges if needed to fuel their high volume shooting without taking away precious ammo from so many other new shooters. The appleseed rifle clinics are a great example of starting new shooters with just one brick per student, and believe me it makes a huge impact on those kids (and adults) who participate, so I would recommend saving donations of scarce 22lr for programs like the appleseed classes.
  • Like 1