hornady classic reloading kit

Hornady classic reloading kit . Good , bad or what ? I will start reloading this month. I want to start off simple so I can see what each step is doing . I dont want to start off with a giant reloading press that does everything in one push of a lever , HAHA . I just want to start reloading 9mm first . Then 45acp when I get to where I know how to do it good then maybe 30-30 . 

Edited by tercel89

That press will work great.  That or the RCBS Rockchucker.  Lots of info on presses in some other threads.  You will get a 1000 opinions for every question, but in general, it will no doubt serve you well.   The Rockchucker at Cabela's is probably a better deal right now.  On sale for $300 plus a $50 rebate.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/RCBSreg-Rock-Chucker-Supreme-Master-Reloading-Kit/1324071.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Drcbs%2Brock%2Bchucker%2Bsupreme%2Bmaster%2Breloading%2Bkit%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=rcbs+rock+chucker+supreme+master+reloading+kit&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

Or if you want is asap, Amazon also has it for $300, although now you will have to pay tax.  I would go Cabela's.

Edited by Hozzie
If you are loading pistol calibers, may want to consider the RCBS Turret kit. It will save you some time by not swapping dies constantly. For example, set your sizer die and expander die up, size a piece of brass and rotate the turret to expand. Rotate back and grab another piece of brass.
You may hear/read that a turret press does not make as accurate ammo as a single stage, but unless you shoot rifle long distance competition it doesn't really matter.
I also didn't look at the prices today, but I know at one point the price difference was not too far off. If you decide to stick with the single stage either the Hornady or RCBS Rock Chucker will serve you well.

I'm going through the exact same dilemma! I'm also wanting to do it on the cheap but...

After watching a Hickock45 Youtube reloading video where he compares the Rock Chunker to a Dillon progressive, I'm leaning towards spending the extra $100.00 or so for the Dillon?

I can just see myself down the road reloading 9mm / .45 and thinking, "why didn't you spend a little extra money on what you wanted the first time"?

That's just me.

[quote name="Dennis1209" post="1111975" timestamp="1392569964"]I'm going through the exact same dilemma! I'm also wanting to do it on the cheap but... After watching a Hickock45 Youtube reloading video where he compares the Rock Chunker to a Dillon progressive, I'm leaning towards spending the extra $100.00 or so for the Dillon? I can just see myself down the road reloading 9mm / .45 and thinking, "why didn't you spend a little extra money on what you wanted the first time"? That's just me.[/quote] I went through the same dilemma too, more than 20 years ago. I had almost no money but I splurged for the Dillon and I don't regret it. You will have a Dillon machine for life and be able to hand it down to others after you are done, and they have a no-bs lifetime replacement policy for parts, plus the speed and quality of loading is so much better. When you spread the additional cost over the 20+ years of use, it is a no-brainer to get the dillon.

I would say get both a progressive and a single stage.

I have a Dillon 550 I purchased in the late 1980's and it has served me extremely well. But I picked up what amounts to the Lee Anniversary Kit a couple of years before the Dillon and learned the mechanics on it.

I still use the single stage all the flipping time. That old Lee just won't wear out. I've been sizing cast bullets with it recently, but use it for load development all the time...then set the Dillon up for volume.

I would love to have an RCBS...I'm still waiting on that Lee to wear out so I can justify the purchase to myself. :cool:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/423081/lee-challenger-breech-lock-single-stage-press-anniversary-kit

I don't have any experience with the Hornady but it sure has a great rep.

I just need to learn the basic things I think before I go all out and get a big unit . 

Good choice.  In my opinion, everyone should start with a single stage until they truly understand the process and issues that can occur.  My single stage would be my last press to go if I ever had to give any up. 

• Like 1
[quote name="tercel89" post="1112595" timestamp="1392670441"]Will this Kit be able to reload pistol ammo right off the bat or will I need different things ? I know I may have to buy different dies and different brass case holder but what else ? I am all new to this .[/quote] If you want to drop powder directly from the supplied powder measure into a pistol case, as opposed to weighing each individual charge, you'll need a pistol drum. The measure comes setup from the factory with a rifle drum which is designed to throw much larger charges. I have not personally verified this, have just seen it in print.

If you want to drop powder directly from the supplied powder measure into a pistol case, as opposed to weighing each individual charge, you'll need a pistol drum. The measure comes setup from the factory with a rifle drum which is designed to throw much larger charges. I have not personally verified this, have just seen it in print.

That is one nice thing about the Hornady Powder measure.  You can buy just the metering assemblies (like $11 a piece) for rifle or pistol and they easily swap out.  You can also set the measurement each time, but if you find a load you like, it's easy to just remove the meter and keep it with your dies.  The standard meter will go to as low as 5 grains, so if you need lower than that, you will also want to get a pistol meter which goes down to 0.5.

Edited by Hozzie
Titegroup will work for 9mm and it doesn't take a lot. Check with David (dlm37015) as he will have the best price. He can also help you with powders for other calibers. There are a lot of options, but certain powders are hard to find right now. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I'm a big fan of Alliant Unique as well for 9mm and have used it for many years.

I've also had success with Winchester 231 and Alliant American Select.

Locating powders has been a challenge for most folks over the past year, and actually forced me to seek out and try new powders...which I probably should have done long before now.

I know some friends have had success with Cays and e3.

Guest warhorse

I an ultrawith a Lyman T-Mag and actually love it so I kept it. You set all your dies per caliber and leave them. Just change the head and you rotate them as you go. Makes life simple if you are starting. 9mm I use 5 gr of Winchester Autocomp or Bullseye from Alliant both work well and are quite forgiving. Buy a good scale and powder measure. I had the lee powder measure to start with but wore it out after 5k rounds loaded. Buy the Lyman 55 to start with and you won't have any issues plust it meters exceptionally well. Use the crimp in the lee die kit but leave it light and snug. Lee dies are fine for starting out plus they are carbide so you don't have to lube the cases. Buy an ultrasonic cleaner at Harbor Freight they work the same and actually are the same as the Lyman but a 1/3 of the cost but use the hornady ultra sonic cleaner solution in it.

I have the Hornady Press and bought Lee Carbide dies. Anyone know how to explain how to set this up in plain english ? I watched a couple of youtube videos. I am kinda confused on how to "set" the dies to where the seat the bullet and crimp it at the right depth and all that . The directions are kinda vague and I have screaming kids running throughout my house :rant: