A Case for the Full-Size 9mm Handgun

"Next time you go to the range, do all your usual shooting and drills with the little gun. Shoot at point-blank range and all the way out to 50 yards or more. Shoot from the ground, shoot weak-handed, shoot one-handed, and see how difficult it really is. If you still want to fall in with the ranks of the gun shop warriors and keyboard commandos who always rattle off the old “all you need is a 2-inch J-frame ‘cause all fights happen at close range” mantra, go right ahead. However, if you are willing to look at things objectively and really think it through, you’ll see it’s better to have the bigger gun with you."

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/ccm-columns/case-full-size-9mm-handgun/

Edited by daddyo
I agree to the logic, but it isn't always possible to carry a full size pistol. If for whatever reason your lifestyle prohibited you from carrying anything larger and your only interest in guns was carrying one for defense, I'd say its fairly reasonable that a pocket pistol might just be all you need.

Now the concept if only needing one gun may seem strange, I'll admit it has me baffled, but for some out there who have to choose between a little gun or no gun, its an easy choice.
  • Like 4

I have a CZ-75 SP-01. It's a full size all steel 9mm and I love it!  It's my favorite range gun and nightstand pistol.  It would be a "go to" pistol in a SHTF scenario.  I have not carried it concealed yet but I do have a pancake holster that holds the pistol and an extra 18 round magazine.

Edited by Will Carry

It is not always possible to carry the full-sized handgun. Of course they shoot more effectively in extended fights and in distance shooting. That is a given. Only time I can conceal a full-size is in the winter with a big coat on. I'm a small guy. Sometimes these article writers don't take into account that people come in all different shapes and sizes and also have different limitations given where they must travel to, work, etc. If it was practical to carry a 300 BLK SBR suppressed, I think many of us would do that....but it isn't practical.

When was the last time you saw a self defense shootout happen at 50 yards? Heck, 25 yards is a pretty decent distance too, but my SR9c can nail a target with 1 MOA less accuracy (and that's probably me, not the actual gun) than my full size 9mm. I would be more concerned about amount of ammo than I would be about barrel length. 

This. The article closes with ". . . you'll see it's better to have a bigger gun with you" and course in terms of accuracy and firepower, the author is correct. That said, I'm probably not going to walk around with a FAL or PTR. To steal another quote from the article, "What the hell is this guy thinking?" 

I suppose if your career involves firearms and firearms training, as it appear the author does, it makes sense to carry a full size "fighting gun," but for the vast, vast majority of folks who carry, it just doesn't make sense to carry a full size pistol. 

I guess I miss the point. Of course a bigger gun is better. A rifle is better yet. Artillery is yet another step, though it's kinda heavy to carry around all day. I wouldn't dream of shooting my .380 at 50 yds, that's not what it's for.

I'll reverse part of my statement above... I would shoot my .380 at 50 yds on a range. I'm not sure if I could hit the broad sign of a barn at that range, but it would be fun to find out.

But shoot at a person defensively? Only if I didn't have any choice.

I have shot my full size 9mm off hand at 200 yds. It took about 10 rds and a spotter to dial in in the Kentucky windage, but it was surprisingly accurate.... roughly 24" group which I thought wasn't bad.
Guest Lowbuster

When was the last time you saw a self defense shootout happen at 50 yards? Heck, 25 yards is a pretty decent distance too, but my SR9c can nail a target with 1 MOA less accuracy (and that's probably me, not the actual gun) than my full size 9mm. I would be more concerned about amount of ammo than I would be about barrel length.

25 yards may be close, but if I have 50 yards chances are you can hide or get out of dodge. If situation gives me the chance, I will run from a .22 just as fast as a .45. As op says, a full size will be better, and I'm sure we all agree but I'm not wasting ammo at that distance with any handgun if I can leave the threat.
Jmo

And an icbm can kill the guy from even farther out.   And I need to be fighting at 50-100 yards about as much as I do at 500-1000 miles in any realistic scenario.   For some folks, 50 yards might be useful, can't deny that.  But it wont be inside my house, inside my workplace, or inside the walmart, or any of the places that *I* frequent.  

• Like 2
Guest Brutnus

Just curious. If you had to engage at 50+ yards, would you want a 9mm or .45 and why.

The difference isn't that much to make a difference. The most important factor would be the number of bullets because your chances of hitting someone at 50 yards that is shooting back are about zip to none (with pistols that is).

Guest Brutnus

Also to add my 2 cents to the original post.

In Tennessee you realistically can't shoot at someone @ 50 yards unless they are shooting at you (as far as the laws go**) and if they are engaging me from 50 yards then they would be using a rifle in which no matter what pistol i had i would be out gunned.

** what i mean is, the law says the only way you can shoot someone is if your life is in danger and you would go to jail for murder if you shoot someone 50 yards away and they didn't have a gun.

I use my carry gun (G19) when I play at 3gun shoots. I would feel good with it if I ever need it and it is comfortable for me to carry IWB. I definitely prefer to carry the biggest gun I can get by with, and G19 is usually it. However, there are certain times that I can only get by with a tiny gun, and I am reduced to my P3AT or nothing at all :( Edited by Batman

Not ALL instances of defensive use of a pistol are inside 3 yards. And under TN law you ABSOLUTELY CAN use lethal force in defense of a third party (someone else). 

I know of 2 cases of defensive use of a pistol IN TENNESSEE that were 37 yards and 20 yards respectively. Also you have the Fairchild AFB shooting where Andy Brown shot the AK wielding gunman with his Beretta 92 from 70 yards away. Remember the Aurora theater shooting?  How long a shot might that it have been if someone in one of the back rows had been armed and decided to try to stop James Holmes?  

A bigger gun simply gives you more options. That does not mean small guns are useless...it simply means that a bigger gun gives you more options. If I ever found myself in a situation where a 25 yard shot might stop a mass shooting I'd MUCH rather have a Glock 17 (or even a 19) than just a J frame. On the other hand what are the odds of us ever being present when a mass shooting event kicks off? Who knows?

If you need to carry a tiny gun then carry a tiny gun. That is much better than having NO gun.  If you can make it work for you to carry a bigger gun then you simply have more bases covered. 

Edited by Cruel Hand Luke
  • Like 3

I am a believer in carrying the largest gun you can conceal, that you are proficient with.  In general, this means more bullets, better accuracy and easier weapons manipulation. When possible, I carry a full size gun.  If not, than my Glock 19.  I like having the 31 rounds. Sometimes, all I can carry is a lightweight .38 spl, or a Shield 9mm. While not my ideal choice, it beats a pointy stick. Which in turn beats nothing.  But I only carry those when I have to.

i prefer carrying a full size gun (G22 in either a Remora IWB, or a Galco shoulder holster) as well, but there are some times it just isn't practical since its so darn hard to hide (summer, carry around liberal family members, work, etc.). My G27 and LCP become my primary carry weapons at that point, because IMO its better to carry a little gun than not carry anything at all.