Diabetes

ironsniper1

I know it's not spelled right but was wondering if anyone here can tell how fast someone can get it? Like say last week my fiancée drank a large coke and sweet tea from jack in the box and next day took two exzedrin yes typo and has now been diagnosed with it, which to me seems to quick

Usually, it is diagnosed on a 90 day average measured from the glycohemoglobin  A1C test, and not discrete spikes.

http://www.webmd.com/diabetes/blood-glucose

If she is just now diagnosed Type 2 diabetes, it can be controlled, by diet, exercise, and monitoring Random Blood Sugar (using the test strips). I brought mine under control by dropping 50 lbs & dropping a lot of carbs from my diet.

Glycohemoglobin A1c measures how much sugar (glucose) is stuck to red blood cells. This test can be used to diagnose diabetes. It also shows how well your diabetes has been controlled in the last 2 to 3 months and whether your diabetes medicine needs to be changed. The result of your A1c test can be used to estimate your average blood sugar level. This is called your estimated average glucose, or eAG.

Edited by R_Bert
Diagnosis of diabetes is typically made on a few lab results. One shows what your blood sugar is now, one shows what your average blood sugar is over 3-4 months (called your hemoglobin A1C). There's a little more too it, but you wouldn't be diagnosed with diabetes based soley on the "now" result, rather more likely what your a1c shows (you can take the a1c result and figure out what the average blood sugar is over that time frame). There's 2 types of diabetes; type 1 is where your body doesn't make insulin; type 2 where your body isn't "sensitive" enough to insulin, meaning that you make insulin, but it doesn't do it's job well enough. Type 1 will require a person to actually take insulin. Type 2 will typically be aggressively treated with diet and weight loss measures first (depending on the initial a1c number), or an oral agent to "sensitize" your body to insulin. There are a bunch of different medications that can help in type 2, but insulin supplementation is usually reserved for later in the treatment algorithm. Good news is, if its type 2, if diet management is good enough, many people may not require any medication. Sorry to be long winded. Happy to offer more info if you want. To shortly answer your original question though, it's more likely your fiancée has had elevated blood sugar for sometime now. Blood sugar is much like high blood pressure. Most people don't even know its high until they go to the doctor, or something REALLY bad happens (diabetic coma/DKA from diabetes, or heart attack or stroke from blood pressure).

Diabetes is a chronic disease. No one single binge of sugar will cause a non-diabetic person to suddenly develop diabetes. In the case of Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus, it takes years to develop, usually later in life (not sure how old your fiance is), although we are seeing it more in children and teens. If your fiance is not pregnant (gestational diabetes) and is not taking medications such as immunosuppressants, antipsychotics, etc. then if your doctor gave an actual diagnosis of new onset diabetes, confirmed by a HbA1c test of > 6.5%, then her blood sugar had been elevated for quite some time before this.

doctors can make a quick "warning" diagnosis off just a few blood tests --- my wife was given a "pre diabetic" warning diagnosis years ago and since then has reverted to normal.  Even if the diagnosis is not 100% accurate, unless she did her blood test within a few hours of chugging the stuff, consider it heavily as a wake up call for a lifestyle change --- get a second opinion and all that, but she may be able to go low carb or something and live a long healthy life from here ....

Much good info here.  Another thing to consider regarding your fiancee, an A1c reading of 7+ is considered "diabetic", but most folks won't "feel" anything wrong until they get to about 10 or so, thus she probably has had elevated levels for a long time, and the recent diagnosis is just now bringing the problem to light.  High blood sugar readings often lead to weight loss, so many people "feel" like their diet is healthy, they are basically eating whatever they want and are still slowly losing weight.  Some teen girls are known to purposely stop taking their meds, in order to lose weight.

.... So is obesity. Related? I think so.

Think? Hell, it's well documented damn near 1:1 correlation with Type 2 (80% or more).  It's not so much that "obesity causes diabetes" as it is that "overeating, especially carbs and sugar, causes both", and the two conditions then become synergistic.

Simply stated,  with vast over consumption of carbs and sugar, the pancreas just can't keep the insulin production up to regulate the resultant glucose, plus all the excess not used for energy is stored as fat, which makes the whole system less efficient in general and also changes body chemistry,  especially in the liver so that the existing insulin is less efficiently utilized.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1
Diabetes can be a strange cat and sometimes has to be inherited. For instance.... On one side of my family the disease is common whether skinny or fat, but the other side has little if any instances of it whether skinny or fat. However, heart attacks are very rare on both sides.....go figure.
  • 1 month later...

hey everyone, just wondering if anyone knows of a safe medicine one with type 2 can take for a headache? something i can just go to my local walmart or walgreens and get?

Tylenol (acetaminophen) or Advil (ibuprofen) at the stated doses are fine, assuming she's never had problems with them before.    (I'm not a doctor either). 

Caffeine withdrawal is known to cause headaches, and given her caffeine intake (coke + tea +excedrin), that's not a surprise.  Many years ago I got to where I couldn't really function without caffeine.  I decided that wasn't a happy place to be so I stopped drinking it.  The ensuing couple weeks weren't a great deal of fun, but I felt better after.  Now, the only caffeine I get is by drinking a coke maybe once/week plus whatever fractional amount is in decaf tea. 

i tried to get her to take ibuprofen but after reading different websites its bad to take it with the meds shes taking for her type 2, the one good thing from this if you can call it that is that i no longer drink soda, stopped cold turkey as it were and havent craved it at all, now i drink water and sweet tea non caffeinated of course

Edited by luke9511