Toilet Paper

In the Memphis area, we can use the Commercial Appeal. Nashville and other cities will likely have a liberal source of paper as well.

Only if you get them. I gave up on the Tennessean several years ago. Since then we get frequent calls offering to give us the daily for s number of weeks if we subscribe to the Sunday.

Back in the day, they used to take the Sears & Roebuck catalog in the outhouse with them. For two reasons.

My grandparents had an outhouse. In the house they also had an old sears calatog...with a lot of missing pages.

Guest RebelCowboySnB
When Sears started using shiny pages in the catalog people stopped using them an used it to start fires.. They went back to boiling corn cobs to use...

I think this has a lot to do with why Sears lost popularity. People didn't look threw the catalog as much by the fireplace as they did in the outhouse...

I figure there will be cloth for the rest of my life.  A good rag, and nasty as it is, wash them if you do not have enough for a disposable supply.  Hopefully you have a crank operated or something washer of some sort. 

With any luck, you will have plenty of disposable though,  a single empty home probably has 5 years worth in old clothing, rags, bedding, etc. 

• Like 1

you can all ways find something to use.  times have gotten easy, but when it comes down to it, your hand will work.  if it get that bad you will have other things to worry about. 

I'm with TMF on this one. In an emergency that could work but there are SO many bacteria's found in feces that can kill you, like he said, I'd use bits of my clothes or even foliage before I'd try and use my hand.

I'm with TMF on this one. In an emergency that could work but there are SO many bacteria's found in feces that can kill you, ..

Actually, there aren't that many that are particularly deadly at all. certain strains of E-coli, giardia, and cryptosporidium are probably the big three, but not necessarily present.. Can kill, but generally not. Not that you want to be out of commission with an infection from any of them of course.

Cholera would almost certainly become prevalent during a complete SHTF once sanitation services are gone, but of course if you have that, you might not be  wiping your own arse for a few days, depending -- all but one strain of it is 99% survivable if you know the simple treatment, but about 50% fatal if you don't. Probably some other of the traditional world wide killers would emerge over time too.

On the other hand, urine, at least from a healthy individual, is relatively sterile.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

Actually, there aren't that many that are particularly deadly at all. certain strains of E-coli, giardia, and cryptosporidium are probably the big three, but not necessarily present.. Can kill, but generally not. Not that you want to be out of commission with an infection from any of them of course.

Cholera would almost certainly become prevalent during a complete SHTF once sanitation services are gone, but of course if you have that, you might not be  wiping your own arse for a few days, depending -- all but one strain of it is 99% survivable if you know the simple treatment, but about 50% fatal if you don't. Probably some other of the traditional world wide killers would emerge over time too.

On the other hand, urine, at least from a healthy individual, is relatively sterile.

- OS

Now you've got a hand washer too!

[quote name="Ted S." post="1113446" timestamp="1392840224"]Toilet paper is one of the things that makes this country great. I know it's a luxury, but when SHTF, who says you can't have nice things?[/quote] if the "SHTF" you will need more than toilet paper afterwards, probably a shower.... lol Edited by glowdotGlock
  • Like 2

- OS

For those that don't know how to deal with Cholera:

http://www.who.int/cholera/technical/en/

Always begin treatment immediately, preferrably with safe water. If water is potentially unsafe - rehydration takes precendence.

• Like 2