Does it seem 22 shortage is getting worse?

I have not been able to pick up a box at Walmart in three months. Same family seems to buy every bulk box that comes in........ I wounder how much money they have made reselling. I bet they make $400-$450 every time they hit Walmart. I can understand keeping 5000- 10,000 rounds  if you are a hoarder but darnit . I bet they have made $20,000-$30,000 reselling. This seems to be a full time job for some folks. I guess I'll just have to wait till 2017.

Edited by urdubob

We currently have federal boxes of 50 at 2.99 and 4.99 a box (2 types). Limit 3 per person

-Daniel

This. The ammo is out there, just need to break yourself from the bulk box mentality. You'll pay more than you would have in 2011 for it, but its still the cheapest way to shoot.
  • Like 1

This. The ammo is out there, just need to break yourself from the bulk box mentality. You'll pay more than you would have in 2011 for it, but its still the cheapest way to shoot.

Ummm, actually it's not for me under the current circumstances, 9mm is cheaper.

There's no .22LR ammo to be found around my neck of the woods, period. When you occasionally find it at a decent price there's always a limit of 1-3 boxes, then you add on shipping. If I lived closer to a major city I would be getting some on occasion maybe.

Looks like it is going to be a long wait just to get Mexican made .22LR: Got this today from CMP.  I used to buy Aguila from LGS.  If CMP is having difficulty  then I don't stand much of chance.  Looks like it is going to be a grim year or two yet in .22LR land:

AGUILA .22LR AND .30 CARBINE AMMO PRICE INCREASES. For the past seven years CMP has purchased Aguila ammunition from Centurion Ordnance, Helotes, TX. Centurion Ordnance is no longer the U.S. distributor for Aguila ammunition. The sole U.S. distributor for Aguila ammunition now is Texas Armament & Technology (TX-AT) in Houston, TX. Yesterday we received new pricing from TX-AT and adjusted our selling prices accordingly. Prices now are as follows:

Aguila Standard Velocity .22LR, 5000 rd case, 
CMP item number 419ASVSE, increase from 
$260 to $305 per case.

Aguila Target Golden Eagle .22LR, 5000 rd case, 
CMP item number 419ASVGE, increase from 
$385 to $445 per case.

Aguila .30 Carbine FMJ, 500 rd case, 
CMP item number 438A, increase from 
$210 to $225 per case.

CMP regrets that we have to pass these increases on to our customers and understands that some of our customers will now wish to cancel their orders. Please email cancellation requests to custserve@thecmp.org.

AGUILA .22LR DELIVERY STATUS. The Aguila ammunition distributor, TX-AT, has informed CMP that due to the massive nationwide Rimfire shortage deliveries to CMP will only be a few hundred cases every 4-6 weeks and it may take another year to receive all the .22LR ammunition we currently have on order with them. When this ammo is received, customers who had orders already placed with the CMP will be contacted to determine if they wish to pay the increased price per case or if they wish to cancel their orders. Customers with oldest orders will be contacted first. Until all existing orders have been filled, CMP will not accept any new orders for Aguila .22LR.

"Looks like it is going to be a grim year or two yet in .22LR land:"

Yes.  This year's production is already pre-sold, as the CMP alert implies.  Next year's run will go to fill backorders, and perhaps begin to slowly replenish distributor supplies, assuming orders don't continue to pile up at the rates of 2012-2013.  I think your estimate of 2 years wait on easier availability is pretty conservative, I also think price increases are in the very beginning stages for rimfire ammo.

Need to get an air rifle and just get shed of this issue for several years/

You are right. I had an older Gammo that I gave to a neighbor last summer.

I liked it, but it had the most gosh-awful trigger on it I've ever felt.

Now I kinda regret it. But...now I can look for one with a clean conscience. Edited by hipower

I have pretty much stopped shooting because of the volatility of the ammo market in general. I haven't tried to buy any .22 or anything else for that matter. I have a couple of bricks but I don't want to take the chance of not being able to replace it.

It sucks.

Guest theconstitutionrocks

TN Gun Country in Clarksville usually has 50 rnd boxes (couple of times a week) was in there abt a week ago...must have had well over 5000 rounds, limit is 3 bxs/day. What they had was Armscorp (never shot it personally) at 2.69 a box, (works out to a lil over 5 cents a round or about 27 bucks for a 500 round brick,,,not too bad considering)

Put a bucket on order at Midway and when they get it in, they'll send it to you.

I am still backordered from MIDWAY from 6 months ago. I reestablish backorder every 30 days. All of my .22 rifles and pistols are greased and packed away, they are dinosaurs, collectors items only. Grandkids are shooting Air Rifle (RWS).

Edited by wjh2657

I don't know if it's getting worse but it damn sure isn't getting better. Until I can walk into my local wal-mart to find the shelf full of .22lr and 9mm I won't be happy. 

The strange thing is that in certain parts of the country som calibers are readily available while being non-existent in other parts. 

In central FL, 9mm .22lr and .380 and extremely difficult to find. .40 .45 and 5.56/.223 are usually in stock.

I don't know if it's getting worse but it damn sure isn't getting better. Until I can walk into my local wal-mart to find the shelf full of .22lr and 9mm I won't be happy. 

The strange thing is that in certain parts of the country som calibers are readily available while being non-existent in other parts. 

In central FL, 9mm .22lr and .380 and extremely difficult to find. .40 .45 and 5.56/.223 are usually in stock.

I don't buy much factory ammo now, but as far as I know, those calibers are somewhat scarce everywhere, if you are talking about on the shelf available for immediate purchase.  9mm is readily available online now, occasionally some .22lr pops up as well, I don't know about .380 as I've never owned one, but with the proliferation of pocket and compact pistols sold in the last few years I wouldn't be surprised to learn that it's hard to come by as well.

You might want to reconsider your definition of "happiness" (Wally shelves stocked full), otherwise due to the current conditions, you may be a very unhappy camper for a long time ... ;)

Edited by No_0ne
  • Like 1

I don't buy much factory ammo now, but as far as I know, those calibers are somewhat scarce everywhere, if you are talking about on the shelf available for immediate purchase.  9mm is readily available online now, occasionally some .22lr pops up as well, I don't know about .380 as I've never owned one, but with the proliferation of pocket and compact pistols sold in the last few years I wouldn't be surprised to learn that it's hard to come by as well.

You might want to reconsider your definition of "happiness" (Wally shelves stocked full), otherwise due to the current conditions, you may be a very unhappy camper for a long time ... ;)

They don't have to be full, just not empty  :up:

It's really frustrating for me - my boys and I have a .22 rifle and a .22 pistol that we've never shot because we can't find any ammo. 

I'm not going to pay ripoff reseller or gun show prices, and I have a weekday/daytime job, so I can't be at Walmart or other stores to stand in line for the little they're getting.  I'd order online, but the sellers I've checked all say that they're out of stock/no backorders...  Aaaaaargh!

(Sorry - just had to vent there a little.)