Disrespect at military funerals

Spots

Westborough Baptist Church has the monopoly on class less idiots at military funerals right? Wrong. The national guard seems to have their share. This solider posted pictures of posing around a casket with the caption "We put the fun in funeral" and a pictures suggesting the cold weather was reason for them to do a sloppy job folding the flag. Here are the pictures usat-2014-02-18-wisconsin-guard_zps32b48WisconsinNationalGuard1_zps05d60844.jpg Heres the full story http://my.chicagotribune.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-79355296/ They need to fry these people. Bad conduct discharges. This is complete bullshit and makes my blood boil. Maybe someday it will be one of their friends in that box, and then they will understand. A respectful military funeral is the least we can do for those who pay the ultimate sacrifice, and these nasty shitbags need to pay dearly for this disrespect. Tapatalk ate my spelling

Edited by Spots

There is NO excuse for sloppy folding of an american flag that's just doing a bad job.

As to the honor guard goofing off with the empty casket that's actually more common that you might think, though sharing it publicly was a terrible misstep. Humor is many people's way of coping with death. I see it often in funeral staff, coroners, and even our trauma docs. Though it should never be allowed to disgrace a person's funeral.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2009-02-25/news/0902230153_1_humor-deputy-coroner-sense

• Like 2

Any group or person who publically disrupts or disrespects anyone's funeral for any reason, including Jane Fonda's future internment, IMO, is of the lowest moral character and is reprehensible.

Our American flag is a symbol of our great nation and our loved one's who have fought and died, got disfigured and maimed for life to protect our freedoms, loved ones and posterity. Either you respect it's symbolic meaning for which it stands or you don't.

Speaking as a veteran, I've fought for other's freedoms I don't necessary agree with, but non-the-less contrary to popular belief, freedom and individual rights are not free. If I were in attendance at a military veterans funeral and the flag was not draped correctly, I would immediately be the first to correct it and admonish those responsible. God forbid, if I were in attendance at any funeral where intentional disrespect and disruption were openly shown by individual(s), especially a veteran or loved one... It would be my duty and my honor to serve out the punishment twelve of my peers might impose on me in a court of law.

If these groups of clowns believe they have the "moral right" to disrupt or disgrace a military funeral or veterans funeral, sooner or later they're going to run into a veteran with an attitude on such.

If you can't tell, I may not like many of our politicians or the direction our nation is heading but... I'm damn proud of our military, our veterans and their loved one's. I'm especially proud and indebted to those that gave their last measure of self, suffer life long emotional and physical trauma and their families.

I'd like to see an accurate poll of Americans who think Veteran's Day is more about bar-b-que  than those that served our nation?

Rant / Off

Edited by Dennis1209
  • Like 3

There is NO excuse for sloppy folding of an american flag that's just doing a bad job.

As to the honor guard goofing off with the empty casket that's actually more common that you might think, though sharing it publicly was a terrible misstep. Humor is many people's way of coping with death. I see it often in funeral staff, coroners, and even our trauma docs. Though it should never be allowed to disgrace a person's funeral.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2009-02-25/news/0902230153_1_humor-deputy-coroner-sense

Also, I don't think the Soldier was saying that they were going to intentionally "jack up" the flag, just that the weather may prevent them from doing a perfect job like normal. Some details do more than one funeral a day unfortunately.
I'm not defending what they did by far - like stated above, if this was to happen to one of my Battles or someone I did a mission with and I was present then who knows how I would react. I know I hope my kids would not be there to see it.
I see young naive undiciplined Soldiers with probably minimum supervision from NCO's - my first reaction was to introduce my fingers around their neck but I too have done childish and very stupid stuff as a kid. Hopefully this will be a huge wake up when the COC handles this.

someone answer this, the whole group is in camo. why would a group in camo be hanging around a flag draped coffin when the detail would be in a dresss uniform, and the end of the casket just looks too short.something doesnt look right... i get clowning around dealing with death, everyone has their own way of dealing with death, but I have no tolerance for disrespecting a fallen warrior.....if the scene is real, w a body in the casket, it should have been cordoned off to deter stupid #### like this. The Abu Grahib circus was stupid, this is right there if not a gag or something...

Edited by Dustbuster

I have a son that is in the marines and was stationed in Washington at 8th & I, he was involved in quite a few military funerals and I have seen a lot of videos of different branches of the armed forces, before and after funerals at Arlington National Cemetery. I know there is good and bad in all branches of services. But there were a few concerning the Army which I found appalling, playing frisbee and grab ass before and after the ceremonies while family and friends were present.

Guest TankerHC

I have been on the rifle squad of over 100 Military Funerals. One of the Units I was in, 2nd Squadron, 6th Cav was a TR Unit, Drill Sergeants, OPFOR, AOC, AOB, Command Course Instructors, that sort of thing.

One of our duties was to have, on call, 24/7, 3 Funeral Details. We conducted Military Funerals in Kentucky, Tennessee, Virginia, Indiana and if needed anywhere we could drive within 24 hours, the Troops and Companies rotated the detail, but when we had the detail, you keep the details together, because if you F'd up a Military Funeral, your career was over. I have seen it happen.

At every single funeral that I helped Conduct, there was ALWAYS a full Colonel who would arrive at the grave site. Not always the same one and he could not be from your command, reason being he was critiquing the conduct of the detail and under the "then" regulation he had to be completely impartial. Standing there with a pen and clipboard writing down every move we made. One wrong move and at the very LEAST you were getting an ass chewing from someone wearing two Stars and at the worst the next day your career was over. One that I participated in didnt even take until the next day, an NCO and a 2LT were through, 5 hours later.

While on detail you  practiced, everything move had to be perfect. When we were on detail, we practiced and fired so many blanks from M-16's that our fingers nearly bled, those three volleys  HAD to each sound like a single shot. The flag could not have a wrinkle and had to be folded PERFECTLY, those Colonels would be looking to see if even one millimeter of the wrong color was showing in a flap. Of everything I did in that Unit, (I was a Sheridan Commander in that Unit) nothing was more important than a Military Funeral. General Wagner was Fort Knox Commander at the time, and  everyone knew, he took Military Funerals so seriously, that he could and would have you packing your bags within hours of fing up a Military Funeral. This is a complete and absolute disgrace and every last one of the scumbags in this photo should be Courts Martialed, regardless of what they did while serving anywhere,I notice a few are wearing patches on that right sleeve.. They came back to act like real fing douchebags, the person in the Casket did not or did and is now gone and deserves more respect than this.

And even if it is practice, which I suspect it may be, it is disrespect to our flag,  our uniform, and to every single American who  has ever had that Flag draped across their Casket. I hope this scum has taken pride in their stupidity, it would seem like it.  And that comment by that fricken idiot in that right photo makes it ten times worse, no deference AT ALL. 

I dont know what the final result of this will be, but I am emailing this crap to Leanord Wood to General Websters office and to General Meigs, but I suspect someone else is going to get to them first, there is a LOT of po'd people in and out right now who are commenting all over about this. 

Edited by TankerHC
I think the issue is these are immature Guardsmen/women that don't have the mental maturity to understand their role in this very significant event. These kids are from the me generation. My best friend's uncle retired from the Air Force and when he passed away they sent the funeral detail from Eglin AFB. The group showed up very late, didn't seem squared away, and was unapologetic. They claimed to have gotten lost on the way. I remember hearing another family member (Korean War vet) tell them Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

someone answer this, the whole group is in camo. why would a group in camo be hanging around a flag draped coffin when the detail would be in a dresss uniform, and the end of the casket just looks too short.something doesnt look right... i get clowning around dealing with death, everyone has their own way of dealing with death, but I have no tolerance for disrespecting a fallen warrior.....if the scene is real, w a body in the casket, it should have been cordoned off to deter stupid #### like this. The Abu Grahib circus was stupid, this is right there if not a gag or something...

The casket was empty. They were conducting rehearsals.

Doesn't matter. The disrespect is the same. I don't care that they're young and have never been in a combat zone. They should f'ng know better, and if they don't they should have never put a uniform on in the first place. There aren't too many things that made me lose my mind and go full NCO nut-crusher while I was in, but if I saw this it would be off the scales if these were my troops or if these clowns were within choking distance.

If idiots like these end up carrying my body some day I swear I will haunt their sorry asses until the day they die.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 4

For the life of me I can't understand why they would do this.

Because they're entitled little shit stains with no discipline and no sense of honor. Pretty much, no one has ever punched them in the mouth before. That is a big thing missing from our younger generation.

Some of my most proud moments occurred during my last year of active service in 1973 with the 101st Airborne Div., 2/17th Air Cav. That year I had volunteered and was selected for burial detail for veteran(s) funerals.

Attention to detail, precision and military conduct were paramount. My class A uniform was flawless with ribbons and attire worn correctly. We spent hours spit shining our jump boots (on our personal time) to a mirror gloss. For some reason the command didn't allow a relatively new military offering, the Patten leather jump boot.

The three of us spent many hours practicing the 21 round drill, military movements, marching, etc. The blanks we used and how undependable they cycled and continuing the salute as if everything was still in order. Meticulously folding the American flag and presenting it to the widow, mother or family member and internally reminding yourself not to let your eyes water or show any emotion, you represent the Army. The honor I felt being a small last part of a fellow veterans internment and the gratitude of the veteran's family still fills my heart.

I believe during that year I participated in around a dozen or so burials. I don't remember a time where the family members didn't invite us to the American Legion, VFW or their own homes for drinks and a meal. As a representative of the uniformed service, with appreciation and respect we naturally had to decline.

• Like 1

Over blown. Empty casket and I doubt seriously any flag was folded with any less care than normal. Besides, even if it were real I would hope my funeral wouldn't be sob fest. Filled with jokes and laughter is much better way to be remembered IMO.

This isn't just a box with a flag on it.  You won't understand and imagine you never will make the attempt to try.

• Like 1
Too cold my butt, My dad died in January and we had to bury him on a holiday as well. Because of the holiday there was no rifle team available for the VA cemetery, but two soldiers showed up and they did their jobs perfectly and the flag was properly folded and they acted with complete professionalism. With all the stupid things soldiers have gotten themselves in trouble for, because they decided to share pictures of them doing it. Why have they not learned to keep this garbage to themselves.

While I get what you are trying to say, it is still just an empty casket. I have had quite a few family members in the military, some that OPTED for the military funeral and some who didn't.

You however have no sense of humor and I imagine you never will.

When you see one of your brothers in a Flag draped casket then you might understand what it means and why this was beyond disrespectful.  Until then you have no damned idea.

[quote name="TMF" post="1114420" timestamp="1392989339"]You obviously just came to this thread to troll. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/quote] This. If you don't understand, then there is no way to explain it to you. Them being solemn and respectful isn't only the right thing to do for the hero in that box, its the right thing to do for the family who is burying a young son or daughter who gave everything for this country, and its the right thing to do for the guys who are still alive and watching a friend and a brother being lowered into the ground. Until you've seen a friend who was young and funny, someone you've loved and hated, trained with, ate with, slept beside, who you know had your back, and you had his, lowered into the ground because he was the one that got hit with an IED, then you can talk. Until then, you can shut the fuck up, because you will never understand. Tapatalk ate my spelling

Yeah because I stated my opinion on it being overblown. No actual body = No actual disrespect. No actual jacked up flag = no actual disrespect. And they you want to be smartass about my opinion and make an underhanded personal attack. GFY again.

Actually both of you can shut the #### up because you know nothing about me. I did put my brother in a hole. And not your bull#### brother in arms, my blood. I still have his flag and know what it means to me. A flag over an empty box doesn't mean ####. So again when you know me you can say what I have seen and what I understand then both of you can go #### yourselves.

Two things.

First, my "bullsh*t brothers in arms", as you put it, are my brothers. It is something, as I said before, you will never understand.

Second, based on your past nature to troll threads I don't see how this should be any different. Perhaps I'm gonna come off as a dick to many who haven't seen your past behavior, but I'm calling bullshit, and I think you need to go.

• Like 1