.22 MAG Auto-loader ?

HvBikeWlTravel

• Admin Team

The KelTec PMR is probably the most "reliable" of the .22 mag autoloaders.  Whether it's reliable enough to be considered trustworthy is a toss up.

The only other .22 mags I remember other than the AMT were the Grendels.  Neither of those were worth much in terms of reliability.

• Like 1

I've owned one for several years.

Pros    I love it. Light, easy to hold and shoot. Loads of fun at the range.

Cons   A pain in patootie to load the mags. Does have a tendancy to double feed occasionally, has been known to not fully go back to full battery after every round. Has a lot of people hating them for these reasons, and because it's a Keltec product.

And 22 mag is not really easy to get at the moment. I bought enough for my use when they were running around 10-12 per 50 rounds. and that was 2 years ago.

Now, all that being said; not every one does those things.

For mine, the more it's shot the smoother it gets. And the fewer problems it seems to have.

Is this the best available 22 mag? Maybe not.

Is it a carry gun? Dependable and certain enough for that? Maybe not.

But it is a fun plinker.

But this is my stone cold honest opinion. I like it. It's not the best firearm I've ever owned, but far from the worst.

Edited by hipower
  • Like 1

Thanks for the responses. I wouldn't consider this as a carry weapon, but would like to confident enough in home defense situation that it would function. Yes I have several other options(at home), but sometimes the last gun I was plinking with gets left out and might be the closest firearm at hand in a surprise situation.  I knew not to leave that AMT out because it would fail to cycle that first round if clip left in overnight. Take it and load in the field and it was really pretty dependable. Very strange quirk.

The PMR is still kinda new and therefore a bit hard to find the gun.   The gun also has some growing pains, not sure how many have been resolved, including extremely picky about ammo and some very early structural integrity issues.   Might research it before you go there.   Last time I looked at one, I hesitated due to the issues, but that was maybe 2 years ago give or take?

If you can get one that works reliably with at least one brand of available ammo, it would be an ideal self defense gun IMHO.   Light recoil, ultra high cap, good penetration and firepower, all in a light 9mm sized frame with an acceptable combat type trigger.    One site that I visit scores guns by recoil, capacity, caliber, size weight/etc and some other variables and the pmr 'on paper' (that is, assuming it is flawless) comes out with a very, very high score. 

If it had a target trigger, I might have bought one, but the combat trigger was a no-go.  Kel tec gun testers must all be a group of hefty fellas.

Excel Arms I shot ran fine. I fully expected it to choke. But by the time I was at the end of the 50rnd box I was surprised.

I will say I have only shot 50rnds through it so as far as reliability in the long run, I can't say.

They even made on in 17HMR, but it FAILED and they discontinued it.

Here is link to an article about it.

http://www.gunblast.com/Excel-22Mag.htm

Edited by TnShooter83
I have one, love it fun gun to shoot and plink with. Mine is pretty reliable I don't think any rimfire is 100% but I have had very few FTF.
In a defense situation the best gun to have is the one you have when the need comes up. 30 rounds of 22mag should be enough to take care of about any problem you may have. Very light weight. Very loud shoots a hell of a fire ball out the end too. I would not carry it to a gun fight but if one broke out I would be glad to have it.

Jason
  • Like 1

Other than Kel-Tec's semi-auto, I don't know of any new pistols. I have a Ruger Single Six with the 9.5" barrel. It really brings out the power of a 22 magnum. With the right ammo you can get a little over 2000fps out of a 30 gr bullet, with muzzle energy approaching 300ft/lbs. (according the ballistics by the inch). I have thought about using it as a back up home protection handgun, but I just can't do it.