Car AC Repair (East TN)(Oak Ridge)

vontar

Any certified AC techs in East TN here?

The AC unit in my wife's car went out. 

Very sure it is the clutches on the front that engage/disengage as with the motor running, it is very noisy and if you turn on the AC the noise does go way and comes back intermittent as it tries to engage I guess.

I figure worse case I am going to just need everything related to the AC.

I got a parts list from Advance a few minutes go with about 450 dollars with of stuff, not including the R34 and oil.  (don't hang me if I put the wrong R number, the key to the operation you know.)

It is on a Ford Taurus 2007.  I believe SE, 3.0

The AC unit appears to be in a hard to get place.  A repair manual said 2hours labor.  I guess if you know what you are doing that could be about right.

Other then the noise any danger/risk to driving it for a week or 2 until we can get it repaired?

I figure a shop is going to cost me an Arm and Leg for sure.

(big thing if  someone here is able to cut me a deal that works in this area, we can't be with out the car for any length of time.)  Hate to say it but would need at least same day.

I am also checking some other resources I have, trying to contact one family friend that works in AC, but I haven't seen him in about 10 years.  He did my last car so I have been though this once but now the time issue is because it is my wife's car.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I am going to take the rush pressure off myself on this and get her a rental for a week until I can deal with this.

When it rains it floods.

This is just the Cherry on the big pile of crap finishing off the major unexpected bills that hit at the time time my insurance is due.

Just have the clutch replaced. Your system is new enough that no other major repair should be required. Now if your compressor has any kind of internal failure then your looking at some serious dollars. I'm retired ASE mechanic so dont let your local shop try to hang you. Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

My Toyota truck did this a long time ago.  Fortunately it had a separate belt on the AC.  A pair of pruning shears took care of the problem. 

I got recently got auto AC for the first time in over ten years.....in a new (to me) Nissan.

My suggestion....swap vehicles with your wife.  You can take a bit o warm.

I still drive the Toyota.  No one cares to cut off a redneck in a beater hoopti! ("Hey Bubba, hold my beer a minute, will ya....")

Edited by R_Bert