Bicycle Pump Nebulizer

So I was reading another forum, and some members were discussing how to stock up on asthma inhalers, which can be critical for some people.  They are specifically called meter-dosed inhalers.  Ever since they changed the propellant from ozone-killing to ozone safe, those inhalers have gone up in price tremendously, and it did not appear cheap to stock up on inhalers.

Someone mentioned a bicycle pump nebulizer, so I Googled it:  http://littledevices.org/2013/08/10/diyneb/

My son had to use a nebulizer when he was much younger.   We still have all the tubing, masks, and nebulizer pump.  To test out if it is a viable alternative, I connected a piston bicycle pump to the tubing (it came with an attachment for filling inflatable things that worked perfectly).  Instantly after the first pump, vapor started coming from the cup.  I was surprised because I guess I always assumed that nebulizer technology was more complicated.  If I pumped continuously, I could vaporize all the liquid in the cup.

I have researched the cost of albuterol ampules because we occasionally have cats come in with asthma attacks.  Since albuterol is an old drug, it appears to be relative cheap (when not in inhaler form), and thus could be stocked up if you had access or a prescription.  One person on the message board suggested that vets with breathing problems often get a whole bunch from the VA.

One of my veterinary pharmacy teachers (a PharmD) was talking about Xopenex vs albuterol.  My understanding is that the drug company convinced a bunch of pediatricians that Xopenex was better, but they basically have the same effect.  I think that I used an albuterol inhaler when I was young (some 30+ years ago).  We haven't had to use the nebulizer for years, but I'm pretty sure Xopenex cost a lot more than albuterol.

I just thought that I would share this with anyone who depends on an inhaler.  While not as portable and efficient, a human-powered nebulizer might provide a good back up to an inhaler.

Edited by dawgdoc
  • Like 4

Coincidentally, I actually used a bicycle-pump nebulizer today.  We had a cat come in who I thought was scared by the air compressor on the nebulizer.  I got out the bicycle pump and used that.  Turns out, she didn't like the hissing sound from the vapor with either method, so we went back to using the air compressor just so it could be done faster.