Help me start turkey hunting

Looking for pointers.  My son and I want to start turkey hunting.  We are in Greene County.  We're as green as they come, so give us some schooling.  We have WMA available and maybe a couple of fields we can get permission to hunt.  We've got  turkey chokes, camo, and a box call.  Thanks in advance.  

Pattern your guns! I like Hevi Shot #7's in 12ga and the MagBlends in 20ga. There are lots of good expensive turkey loads, but if money is tight, just get some cheaper lead turkey loads. #6 is large enough in lead, #5's if your nervous. Don't bother with #4's, you don't need that large. Find a load that give a good pattern out to 40 yards and don't worry about shooting past 40. There are guys out there killing birds at 60 yards. For me, 40 is max, even through I have confidence in my gun to 50. 

My daughter killed two birds last year with her 20ga, shooting 3" Magblends. If you get the right choke, it's perfectly possible. However, most 20ga shots should be within 30 yards. 

Get a slate call. That box call will work fine, but you can call softer on a slate. Use the box when it's windy and the birds aren't close. Learn to cluck and purr on a slate. 

I like decoys and use them in most set ups. The blow up decoys are fine. Get a hen and that's all you need to start. Add as you can, as you learn. 

Camo up everything and learn to sit motionless, in bad positions for very long periods. :)

Set up is key. Set up is key. Set up is key. Yep, it's that important. If you set up well, get hidden, have good shooting lanes and don't have to move to shoot, then the rest is a lot easier. 

Call much less than you think you should. This is especially true once the gobbler has answered you. Call softly at first, then work up to a louder sound. 

Don't be afraid to move your set up, but don't move unless you know there isn't a turkey on his way to you.

It's a cat and mouse game. Enjoy that aspect. Most hunters can ambush a turkey if they see it and have cover to get in front of it. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but I much more prefer to set up and call and convince a bird to come to me. 

Get a good paying job, at night. Spend tons of money on equipment and hunt all day. :) Seriously, there isn't a bad time to go turkey hunting. Hunt morning, mid day, late afternoon. 

Get some bug/tick treatment for your hunting clothes and treat them ahead of time. Use OFF anyway. Apply often and heavily. Ticks, chiggers and seed ticks ruin the experience. 

Get a vest with a good seat, or just get a good seat. If you're like me, my butt needs comfort in order to sit on the ground for hours. I hunt off a stool sometimes too. I often set up early morning with a decoy set up, on a stool with lots of cover around me. If I don't shoot early, then I ditch the stools and decoys and switch to run&gun. 

Every bit of what I have listed is optional. You can go with nothing more than what you have and kill a bird. The other stuff will just help you be successful or comfortable or both. 

• Like 2

Whiskey covered it about as good as it can be. And if hunting public land, ALWAYS, ALWAYS and ALWAYS be prepared for another hunter to get between you and your bird and killing it while you are calling it in! Or you setting up on and calling a Turkey that someone else is working!

SAFETY! SAFETY! SAFETY!

Dave

Edited by DaveS
  • Like 2
[quote name="safetyfast" post="1116508" timestamp="1393355676"]Thanks all. What should we look for in terms of where to find them?Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote] Scout early March. Look for scratching in the leaves, but it's easiest to go at day break and listen for gobbles. Check fields early and late and watch for where they fly up to roost. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

All of the best advice has already been said, so the only thing I would add is to have a lot of patience, especially on public land. There are times on public land where it seems like I'm much better at calling in other turkey hunters than I am at actually calling in turkeys. My best education came from a few years of watching the birds and how they reacted to my calling before I actually learned how to really work one in close enough for a shot. Almost all of the fun of it for me now is in the calling, even if it's for someone else to take the shot.

I too wanna start hunting turkey, mostly for good meat. Watched too many documentaries about food, chemicals and such. Main reason I deer hunt also. Too many family members and friends with cancer that I'm trying to change my lifestyle concerning food. Thanks for the information y'all gave.
  • 1 month later...