Want to buy a handgun for home protection,,,,,Need Help

Guest AgentWilliam

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest glockkiddo

It is hard to beat a Glock 9mm. They get they job done without alot of bells and whistles and I have found them to be great for both men and women. Keep in mind...if she has any type of hand or joint issues a revolver will be extremely painful to shoot and she won't want to practice with it. I know that On Target Inc. in Murfreesboro have a rental program so that you both can go try some different guns to see what you like...thats the best way to make a decision.

Edited by glockkiddo

I keeep a 44 mag revolver in the nightstand and a mossberg 12 guage pump under the bed on the old ladys side if you have children dont put one in the pipe. you should really look into the short barrel pump action shotguns they are affordable and very lethal with the right ammo. i carry an xd40 and an xd45 compact but not at the same time :devil:. in a revolver if you dont like recoil get a 38 and load it with ratshot (light recoil and wide spread).

I keeep a 44 mag revolver in the nightstand and a mossberg 12 guage pump under the bed on the old ladys side if you have children dont put one in the pipe. you should really look into the short barrel pump action shotguns they are affordable and very lethal with the right ammo. i carry an xd40 and an xd45 compact but not at the same time :drool:. in a revolver if you dont like recoil get a 38 and load it with ratshot (light recoil and wide spread).

I would advise against that...ratshot will not kill much of anything...unless you blind your adversary with a shot to the eyes your gonna be in for a world of hurt. :devil:

Maverick 88 , short barrel, 12 guage, pump and way cheaper than any of the sporting shotguns. Maverick is just a less frilly Mossberg 500 with a military type safety and black epoxy instead of bluing or camo. I use handgun (revolver)for house gun and I EDC with a TN HCP, but even the revolver takes a lot of practice to really be safe and efficient with it. I have also been shooting handguns for 51 years! Shot gun is best used from a fixed position in a safe room. Don't try room sweeps or wandering around outdoors looking for bad guys! Anybody jumping you out of dark will probably get the shotgun away from you. Get behind bed, aim shotgun across bed at door. Easy drill, awesome results!

I would advise against that...ratshot will not kill much of anything...unless you blind your adversary with a shot to the eyes your gonna be in for a world of hurt. :devil:

just stating that if you didnt like the recoil and didnt want to miss that is an option. I know a few officers who carry the ratshot well thats what i call it they call it 38 cal buckshot in their backup gun they load three rounds of it and three rounds of regular ammo.(i wouldnt want to be shot with it myself i doubt if anyone breaking into a home would either ,can you imagine how bad that would burn):drool::D:D:D

Edited by jdavis
Personally, for home defense, I use a double barrel sawed off to the legal length, in 12 ga. It kicks like a mule, but it's simple to use, and it will pretty much fill the room, like they said, you can't miss. As for a handgun, I'm an auto guy, but I agree, revolvers are easier to use, and less likely to fail in a pinch, you can also tend to pick them up cheaper (my charter arms .38 undercover was $300 brand new, vs my glock and beretta were both $375 used). If you want an auto handgun, and its strickly for home defense, I would go for a full size, and I personally would point you toward glock for reliability, ease of use, and lack of recoil, but thats personal preference. If you want to carry it also (I see you made mention of that earlier) then a compact would perform perfectly well for both uses. I have a glock 17 (full size 9mm), and a glock 30 (compact .45) and to tell the truth the 30 actually seems to shoot better, and has about the same recoil even being a smaller gun with a larger bullet. Depending where you are, I'm open to taking you to the range and letting you try out a few things too if you are located around the Murfreesboro, manchester, mcminnville area.

I would NOT wish a glock on an untrained novice. not in a million years.

they have only 1 safety. chances are, if she's excited shes going to have an nd. that's not good when you're in your house with a stranger.

Glocks have been shooting their owners since 1986..they are NOT a safe pistol for a novice.

the lack of recoil is due to the size and caliber of the pistol..not because it's a Glock..glocks don't magically dissipate recoil energy due to Gaston Glocks' name being on the pistol.

This isn't a personal attack CBW, I realize that you're probably well trained in the use of your pistols...you take the time to do that.

I don't know if you remember NOT being trained on a firearm...therein lies the rub.

This female has to become competent with a firearm in a very short period of time. also she has to be able to not only hit a target, but DISPATCH the target. a pistol is NOT the preferred weapon for cqb...believe me. it's been tried. have you ever heard the phrase "a pistol is what you use to fight your way to your shotgun"?

Thats' not hyperbole.

the shotgun is her best bet. an automatic or pump shotgun. it's simple, very effective and while you still have to aim it, it has a fudge factor that's better than a pistol.

Guest mikedwood

I'll chime in with my idea. I think for a 1st handgun a 9mm Glock is a great starter. A G19 or G26. I prefer the G26. Smaller and shoots better with the extensions.

Why?

9mm bullets are cheap (relative to other ammo) and common, plentyful to boot (Does not include .22 or 7.62x25)

You can't walk into a gun store without seeing Glock mags, glock holster and Glock this and that and the other.

Glock is not a fad or if it is it's almost a 30 year fad.

Glock's are pretty tough and very reliable.

Becareful though cause they have been known to shoot their owners in the buttocks. A small price to pay for perfection.

All that said I carry a .38 revolver day and night.

Shotgun is the best but recoil may be a problem for the wife. Nothing easier to use than a .38 revolver. That is what I have for my wife. Autos are problematic for people who aren't used to handguns. The ranges and instructors seem to push autos. I've seen them sell to women with arthritus who can't rack the slide or load the mags.

Like I said earlier, I'd go with a .38 revolver or a Glock 9mm for handgun choices. I really don't understand why some people say Glocks are so dangerous for the novice shooter. IMO If you have ANY gun in your hand with the safety off, a round ready, and your finger on the trigger, it's dangerous. In a high stress situation, you basically have just as much chance of accidentally squeezing the trigger on a Glock as any other gun, including a shotgun. Yes, I realize that a Glock has a lighter trigger pull than a revolver.....but not if that revolver is cocked....and as far as shotguns go, my shotgun triggers don't feel any harder to squeeze than my Glocks. Bottom line, if you like the Glock and it feels good, go with it. Just be sure that you and your wife shoot it at least a couple hundred rds. before you put it into home defense duty.

That being said, if you want a weapon just for home defense, I'd go with a shotgun. Depending on your wife's size and physical condition, I'd get either a 20 guage or a .410 pump. Double barrels are cool, but you only have two shots before you have to reload.....not good IMO. You can take any shotgun and change out the stock to a pistol grip, shorten the barrel, and get an extended mag tube. Then you can outfit it with whatever you want.....a light, laser, sling, side saddle, etc.....to make it the perfect home defense tactical shotgun. My mother is 78 and I got her a Mossy .410 pump that she keeps right beside her bed. I let her shoot it and even though she's very weak and has osteoporosis, she had no problem whatsoever hip shooting with it.

Have fun deciding what you want! If I were you, I'd take up some of the offers to go shooting and try out a few different types of guns. Nothing like trying them out before you buy :rolleyes:

If you go with the shotgun, stay away from the pistol grip. Very hard to learn to shoot well and the recoil is an absolute bear.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on that, from experience too, not just hearsay. I have a 12 guage with a pistol grip and it's really a pleasure to shoot. I have arthritis pretty bad, and I still don't have a problem with it. It's just a matter of getting used to it I think. If I were to stiffen up and try to hold it like a handgun when I shot it, I guess it would kick pretty hard. The trick is to not lock up your arms, keep it down beside your hip, and let it ride back a bit on the recoil. A 20 gauge has much less recoil than a 12 and a .410 is a breeze.

they have only 1 safety.

Agreed. I'm a big Glock fan, but a complete novice who is getting a gun to have, but will not practice or get any training, has no business with a Glock. On the other hand, a novice who gets quality training and shoots/practices routinely will be fine.

the lack of recoil is due to the size and caliber of the pistol..not because it's a Glock..glocks don't magically dissipate recoil energy due to Gaston Glocks' name being on the pistol.

Not necessarily true--a Glock's relatively low bore axis makes it a bit more gentle than, say a SIG or an XD.
Guest superdrew4000

William, I know you've done alot of research online, but have you shot anything?

When I was looking to buy my first handgun a few months ago, I poured over forums and websites, but it wasn't until I went out and rented a few different guns that I felt comfortable laying some cash down on the counter.

Everything is great in theory until you get out and put some rounds downrange. Personally, I was sold on the Glock 22 as my first pistol (still want one). That is until I took the M&P .45 out for a 'test drive'. Felt good, shot accurately even with my bad eyes, and made me feel confident.

Going out to the range tomorrow, sending you a PM with the details. You're absolutely more than welcome to come along and do some trials. :biglol:

Edited by superdrew4000
Where do you live?

If it is in the Nashville area, my wife and I or perhaps some of the other regulars, would undoubtedly be willing to meet you and yours at one of the many gun ranges nearby and let you try out a few different handguns.

Sometimes just a little "time behind the wheel" is all it takes to make a better decision.

I would also be willing to let yall try some of mine out! I have everything caliber wise mentioned here;9mm's,45auto,38sp,and a 12 gauge w/pistol grip and m4 stock!

I'm in Chattanooga if you're near by.I will also be in Polk County shooting this weekend if thats closer to you.

If not then simply ask everyone publicly,and I'm sure at least one will be more then happy to help!

If you go with the shotgun, stay away from the pistol grip. Very hard to learn to shoot well and the recoil is an absolute bear.

I also disagree! I find a pistol grip easier to use as long as its also got a stock.Same for thumb hole stocks!

they have only 1 safety. chances are, if she's excited shes going to have an nd [negligent discharge] . that's not good when you're in your house with a stranger.

Glocks have been shooting their owners since 1986..they are NOT a safe pistol for a novice.

+1 Glocks technically only have one safety,but thats not really a safety considering its located on the trigger.That means it is deactivated once the triggers pulled,intentionally or un-intentionally.Thats baaad juju for an inexperienced shooter!

There are many more possibilities for firearms that are safer,that are just as easy to use,and just as fail safe reliable!

I'm not even sure an XD would be a good choice for a beginner since it has no manual safety,although it would be much better then the Glock still!

Guest coldblackwind

Actually towerclimber, as I said, I use a shotgun, I'm all for shotgun for home defense, I was talking about handguns because the original poster said he was looking for an auto handgun, not a revolver or shotgun. My prefered is my mossberg 500 pump 12 ga, but as I have a kid who wants to get into everything, and people who are terrified of seeing guns laying around, I use the double barrel because it looks like decoration hanging on the wall (definitely a plus to a double barrel!). As for the glock reccomendation, we took a glock 17 and a s&w....429? 9mm auto to the range, S&W was heavier, but still had probably twice the recoil of the glock, so the design does seem to cut down on recoil over some other guns (not all obviously, my beretta 92 is about the same), and glocks are pretty much going to fire, its more or less idiot proof when it comes to that, so someone who doesn't know much about taking care of a firearm, when they go to use it, it will almost definitely go bang, compared to some more finicky firearms. Given the lack of an external safety is an issue, but on the other hand, if someone isn't used to the firearm, and fumbling in the dark trying to find a safety, that could be just as bad. I know if you put a gun in my hand I don't know in a dark room, I'm gonna take a second to find the safety, and I at least have a general idea of where to look! Basically, any gun is going to have pros and cons for any given use (revolvers are more reliable than autos, but hold less ammo, and are slower to load unless you practice a lot, shotguns are easier to use with the adrenaline pumping because of the spread of the shot, but they are very noticeable standing in the corner, and far harder to keep out of the reach of children, and can be intimidating to a new shooter, not to mention the collateral damage to your walls!), and the best possible reccomendation is to go out and try as many possible, and see what works the best for all parties involved. There are quite a few very generous offers on here to take them out, and show them a few different types of guns, and give them a few pointers on safe and effective use, and that would be my reccomendation, would be to take one or more of those offers, at least as a good starting point.

Actually towerclimber, as I said, I use a shotgun, I'm all for shotgun for home defense, I was talking about handguns because the original poster said he was looking for an auto handgun, not a revolver or shotgun. My prefered is my mossberg 500 pump 12 ga, but as I have a kid who wants to get into everything, and people who are terrified of seeing guns laying around, I use the double barrel because it looks like decoration hanging on the wall (definitely a plus to a double barrel!). As for the glock reccomendation, we took a glock 17 and a s&w....429? 9mm auto to the range, S&W was heavier, but still had probably twice the recoil of the glock, so the design does seem to cut down on recoil over some other guns (not all obviously, my beretta 92 is about the same), and glocks are pretty much going to fire, its more or less idiot proof when it comes to that, so someone who doesn't know much about taking care of a firearm, when they go to use it, it will almost definitely go bang, compared to some more finicky firearms. Given the lack of an external safety is an issue, but on the other hand, if someone isn't used to the firearm, and fumbling in the dark trying to find a safety, that could be just as bad. I know if you put a gun in my hand I don't know in a dark room, I'm gonna take a second to find the safety, and I at least have a general idea of where to look! Basically, any gun is going to have pros and cons for any given use (revolvers are more reliable than autos, but hold less ammo, and are slower to load unless you practice a lot, shotguns are easier to use with the adrenaline pumping because of the spread of the shot, but they are very noticeable standing in the corner, and far harder to keep out of the reach of children, and can be intimidating to a new shooter, not to mention the collateral damage to your walls!), and the best possible reccomendation is to go out and try as many possible, and see what works the best for all parties involved. There are quite a few very generous offers on here to take them out, and show them a few different types of guns, and give them a few pointers on safe and effective use, and that would be my reccomendation, would be to take one or more of those offers, at least as a good starting point.

that's an excellent idea!

as for the collateral damage to walls...I'd happily spackle my walls as long as I know my loved ones were safe.

as for the recoil and intimidation. have you seen the 1/4 sized rounds for 12 gauge shotguns? those things are NEAT!

as for the glock. I can't get behind putting a novice on one. If it comes to having a negligent discharge and taking an extra midge to find the safety..I'd have to go with a safer pistol or a pistol that was safer for a novice to use.

notice that the 1911 has no less than 4 mechanical safeties on it...yet in order to fire it you need only disengage 1 safety.

how many 1911's do you see in the news, that went off accidently because of an ND?

LOTS fewer than a Glock...if you have to go with a pistol, then make it as stupid proof as possible...

I won't comment on the number of law enforcement officers that have shot themselves with a glock, or a pistol that contained it's only safety in the trigger mechanism.

how many 1911's do you see in the news, that went off accidently because of an ND?

LOTS fewer than a Glock...if you have to go with a pistol, then make it as stupid proof as possible...

I won't comment on the number of law enforcement officers that have shot themselves with a glock, or a pistol that contained it's only safety in the trigger mechanism.

I'm sorry Tower, but I have to put in my .02 on this one.

Do you know why you hear of more ND's with Glocks than with 1911's? Because the vast majority of LEO's carry Glocks, not 1911's. I'm not positive on the percentage of LEO's that carry glocks, but isn't it over like 80%? What's the percentage that carry 1911's? Of course you're going to hear about more ND's with Glocks than 1911's. And most of the ND's you hear about are with LEO's.....because they train and shoot more than anyone else. It's all in the numbers....not the guns.

Edited by PackinMama
spelling