How accurate is Blue Book of Gun Values?

I look at it this way...a gun is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Books only offer ideas in my opinion, and my opinion only. Me personally? I don't buy blue books of no kind! The internet is somewhat cheaper than a book and probably more up to date

Dave

Blue books are a useful tool, but they only tell part of the potential value which can vary at any reason at any time and even regionally. I've found that for guitars anyway most dealers are happy to look up a value or let you do it in store. Especially if your buying something already.

I'd like to buy Colts, Smith and Wessons, and 99 Savages at blue book prices. There are several other brands that I'd like to sell at blue book prices. All in all, however, it is as good a general guide as anything else in print. I buy several copies every few years. Some as gifts, and one for myself.

I view books as directional guides only.  Classifieds here, Armslist, Gunbroker, is the real market.  I mean the items that actually sell, not the asking prices.  I am sure most folks run across that occasional gun that they have no idea what its worth.  The book will get you in ballpark, but the market is actually what a buyer is willing to pay. 

I have always read the classifieds of guns, and just about anything else for years.  Not always to be looking for something, but to understand and try to have a memory of certain things.  So when I come across something at a yard sale, a gun show, a flea market, or just a buddy, I can spot a deal if I see one.  My problem is I do find deals, and I do buy.  I really don't need it, and I usually don't sell it.   :screwy: