500 yard shot with .22LR pistol

Guest TankerHC

Seriously? I wont "call BS on that one", Ill just say I'm thinking it. 

Relooking, that is a pretty good size target. 

Edited by TankerHC

Seriously? I wont "call BS on that one", Ill just say I'm thinking it. 

Relooking, that is a pretty good size target. 

You wouldn't be the only one. He pulls off a lot of amazing shots with a .22, and there is definitely plenty of folks who think he's using some kind of trickery or fancy editing. He's a good 'ol boy from middle Tennessee, so  I want to believe him.

Edited by TripleDigitRide
Guest TankerHC

You wouldn't be the only one. He pulls off a lot of amazing shots with a .22, and there is definitely plenty of folks who think he's using some kind of trickery or fancy editing. He's a good 'ol boy from middle Tennessee, so  I want to believe him.

I have personally seen people make accurate 250 yard shots with a 22, but they were using $3000 rifles and weighed ammo to do it. 

Guest TankerHC

Explain how, on flat land, he shot with his gun position nearly parallel to the ground then hit a Target 500 yards away that "did not appear" to be much lower than the ground he was standing on....with a Pistol no less.

I need to know what kind of .22 ammo he has that can shoot nearly flat at 500 yards so I can get me some. 

Edited by TankerHC

Explain how, on flat land, he shot with his gun position nearly parallel to the ground then hit a Target 500 yards away that "did not appear" to be much lower than the ground he was standing on....with a Pistol no less.

I need to know what kind of .22 ammo he has that can shoot nearly flat at 500 yards so I can get me some. 

I'm thinking they edited the first shot (when the barrel is parallel) with his sixth shot (when he finally hit the target), but that is an assumption on my part. He'll be the first to admit that many of his trick shot take several attempts, and aren't easily repeated.   

that's over 40 ft of drop with the published muzzle velocity.  Im not sure what the velocity would be out of that pistol barrel, but i am assuming there is a noticeable drop in velocity and therefore a noticeable increase in bullet drop.  so somewhere between a 41 ft and a 47 ft hold over with a lot of luck with the wind.  Heck of a shot.    

• Like 1

You wouldn't be the only one. He pulls off a lot of amazing shots with a .22, and there is definitely plenty of folks who think he's using some kind of trickery or fancy editing. He's a good 'ol boy from middle Tennessee, so I want to believe him.

I know that guy. I promise you his shots are authentic. And that pistol has alot of money invested in it. The first time I seen him make some of those shots I was blown away.
  • Like 1
Guest theconstitutionrocks

well, (without exhaustively researching the issue) standard .22 LR 40 grain drops around 750 inches at 500 yds SOOOO if you hold over about 62 feet off target you should, in theory, be able to hit it. I find it more impressive however that he is able to acheive sufficient stability at that range to maintain proper sight alignment

Had to refresh my memory of trigonometry a bit, but calculated that if there was a drop of 52 feet it would require an upward angle of 2 degrees. There is some elevation drop to the target as the target is near the water level. You have better eyes than I if you can see 2 degrees or so from horizontal. Also the time for the bullet to reach the target and the sound to return is just under 3 seconds, which is what would be expected. I would say this shot is real.
I don't necessarily doubt it either. That wasn't a golf ball he was shooting at; it was a sizeable steel plate. 6 tries is probably quicker than I could walk that in, but I believe in the realm of possibility. Edited, probably. Impossible, probably not.

I have a penchant for pistol punching golf balls at further than normal distances. I usually use a S&W 19 4" when I do. Many times the top of the barrel itself is visible above the rear sight to get them out there, but it's doable.... and a LOT of fun! I think many folks who have never tried something like that with a pistol are quick to dismiss this kind of thing.
Guest theconstitutionrocks

Not to brag but I've busted a clay at 100 yards with a Bersa Thunder .22.  It's doable, not necessarily repeatable, but doable.

Well, a .22 lr, standard 40 grain or 36 grain HP will drop about 6" at 100 yds depending on your sight in distance...it's simply a matter of hold over

Sounds legit. I know people that have done that same shot at 300 yards w/ pistol. Got to have a good handle on your drop and hold over.

However, you would need a really calm day to do it. We shoot long distance .22 rifle often and at 500, even 10 MPH wind will push you 8-10ft off target.

I'm also one of those weirdo's that weighs .22 rounds!   :)