Saw a shady deal at Academy- with pic

I was killing time this morning so I decided to go in for my dose of dissapointment of not getting 22. I went back to the gun counter and a saw 50rd boxes of 22, 2 box limit but hey 100 rd for $5otd. I asked the guy at the counter if that was all the 22lr they got in, He said "yeah we haven't seen bulk 22 for a while". I took my 100rd and started looking at some guns and 2 guys walked up and started chatting up the guy behind the counte like they were old friends. I didn't think anything of it until I heard one of the guys asked "do you have it back there" they were wispering as to hide what was going on. Then the guy behind the puts up a Bucket o Bullets and a box of 1000rd box of M-22. I heard the tal on make a comment on how much these get online and the all got a laugh from that. I got pretty pissed right then and there so I snapped a pic of the guys he was talking to(see below)The tall one in Green and the girl in the . he handed them over the counter they walked up front. I went and found the manager and told her what happened and she seemed pretty upset about it and immediately went back to the gun area. I don't know if she actually talked to them or if anything will come of it but I think I might stop spending money there for a while. It is 4 hours later and I am still pissed. I will say I don't know if they came in before me and it was being held behind the counter for them but I suspect if he was lying to my face that was probably not on the up and upI am sorry if these guys are members here but this is more of a bad mark for Academy.  I blurred the face of the guy that had nothing to do with this.

36f29808-9835-4505-a38f-43ab303280fc_zps

• Like 8

I'd post it on Armslist...but then I can be an ass-hole.  

Done! http://www.armslist.com/posts/2769304/knoxville-tennessee-ammo-for-sale-trade--22lr-bucket-o-bullets-and-1000rd-m22

Figured putting it up without bashing them in the title would get more view, and maybe these guys will see this and know there pic is out.

Edit: Fixed, thanks CZ

Edited by LI0NSFAN
  • Like 6
  • Moderators

Done! http://http://www.armslist.com/posts/2769304/knoxville-tennessee-ammo-for-sale-trade--22lr-bucket-o-bullets-and-1000rd-m22

Figured putting it up without bashing them in the title would get more view, and maybe these guys will see this and know there pic is out.

Ummm...yeah. You put http:// twice.

http://www.armslist.com/posts/2769304/knoxville-tennessee-ammo-for-sale-trade--22lr-bucket-o-bullets-and-1000rd-m22

I am on the fence on that, I get all the families shoes there, they seem to the best price and always seem to have my size.

It was the Knoxville location

That's the price you pay to stick to your guns.   I've not and will not be back in Dick's even if they are giving stuff away.

• Like 4

I had the same exact experience at the Rivergate Academy. Told me they were out of the Buckets and so I look around as I was mostly killing time. Some older guy comes up and he starts talking low with the counter attendant. The salesman not thinking I could hear them or was watching them points at me and tells him to be quiet as he pulls TWO buckets from under the counter and the older guy shields them from me with his body. Pretty crappy and it ate me up as I went home.  

I called back and spoke to the store manager and he assured me they do not hold ammo for anyone and seemed to be concerned about the practice. I could care less about getting the ammo as I didn't need any and wasn't really going to buy any, but how he treated me when he thought I couldn't hear or see him was really infuriating and I let them know.

• Like 1

I don't think your going to find a brick and mortar chain store anywhere that sells ammo that games like these are not going on. Management doesn't care as long as it does not effect their bottom line and as long as the ammo is sold at the store price to the scalpers and rung up on the registers they could care less who gets the ammo and who gets mad................jmho

Edited by bersaguy
  • Like 1

Phone call to Corp offices and was given a Reference # and was told that this situation is being emailed (per my request) to the regional, district, and loss prevention managers and I will receive a call from some one in a day or two to let me know what they find out. So we will see what happens.

• Like 13

I'm sure the folks behind the counter are getting a kickback for their trouble. 

I should say that in my case I know many of the folks who work the Rivergate firearms counter and they are decent folks. They come down to our store quite a bit and we share info to some degree. The only problems I've had are with the youngerish guys that work the counter.

Phone call to Corp offices and was given a Reference # and was told that this situation is being emailed (per my request) to the regional, district, and loss prevention managers and I will receive a call from some one in a day or two to let me know what they find out. So we will see what happens.

Keeps us informed. Not that I have a dog in the race, seeing I'm over here on the other side of the state, and no Academy.

But I like what you did.