1st USPSA Classifier Match - Music City Tactical Shooters

I made C and close to B. It really amazes me that I can classify higher in USPSA than the guys who beat in overall. I'll be the 1st IDPA Expert/Master to get beat regularly by Marksmen!

USPSA and IDPA classifiers are a distillation of some of the skills necessary to compete successfully.  Classifiers tend to focus on draws, reloads, and transitions between targets, while standing still.  Those skills can't hurt you at a match, but what wins a match is stage breakdown, speed, efficiency of motion, and physical fitness, most of which are not factors in most USPSA classifiers.  It is a bit like calculating a golf handicap based only on a driving distance. 

In USPSA, match scores at major matches where 3 or more GM's shoot in your division can count as classifier scores.  Those are the only classifier scores that truly reflect match performance across the entire skill range. 

The above are opinions, your mileage may vary.

• Like 1

John if you haven't ever shot a USPSA match be ready for a eye opener, there a lot of fun but totally different. In IDPA everyone pretty much shoots the stage the same way and reloads in the same spot but in USPSA very seldom does anyone shoot it the same. I've only shot maybe 5 or 6 matches and I'm still struggling just trying to figure out how to shot a stage much less be competitive.  

I can't be there because like Chandler I'll be in AL.

A little friendly advise for those who care to hear. Shoot the classifiers in complete control and I believe your classification will be close to reality. I made a point to do that as I went from C to B etc… and I always felt I could be in contention of at least a 1-3 class placement at major matches.

I agree with most everything Aaron said, but as someone who is fat and woefully out of shape, fitness can and will absolutely help, but it's down on the list for me.  I've seen first hand extremely overweight and out of shape guys who will KICK YOUR A%#!!! That being said, getting in better shape is still on my list of things to do. LOL :-\

• Like 1

Update on the match. I was out at the range today and found there was no way to get the long range standards in, just too much mud down range. I will replace it with CM99-10 Times Two. John I know that breaks your heart, however I did leave the hardcover stage in on Bay 7. CM99-10 will go in bay one in the morning, the rest are ready for sticks and targets