i think it is time

mudstud

I have always wanted a AR . I want to build one I don't know anything

about the steps but I love the idea of building my own. Any info on some

lower kits and upper kits would help like a base line starter kits.

THANK YOU

TGO

Go to the Brownell's site and look for their video series on building your own AR.  It's broken into many segments, each dealing with a particular step in the sequence, from making decisions as to what options there are in building, to testing a new rifle at the range.  These videos are also posted on Youtube.  This channel has all 52 videos listed:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLa6yB5pDvYiiR1KVxS1yrjYr9u9SL31RLhttp://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLa6yB5pDvYiiR1KVxS1yrjYr9u9SL31RL

Palmetto State has daily deals that are tough to beat! You have to check everyday as the deals change but they had lowers a while back for like $49 which is going to be all but impossible to beat. My best bit of advice would be to spend some time figuring out exactly what you will use this rifle for, shooting beer cans in the field, plinking at the range, serious training, hunting, etc... Knowing that will really help in building your parts list (the hard part for me) because it sucks to spend a bunch of money going one direction only to decide you really wanted "that" handguard rather than the one you bought and now have to sell and take a hit on it. If you can find a member in your area that's willing to come lend a hand when the parts all come in that would be awesome.

• Like 1
Building ARs is addictive, so watch out. As soon as I finish one all I do is think about another build. I generally go for blem uppers/lowers as I always end up painting them myself with rattle can or having them cerakoted.
OK I have been looking around and I am going to do a AR pistol. Thinking
Of a 7.5 barrel in 5.56 I have found a few different lowers and uppers but I
Am thinking about starting with a cmt lower and upper. When I get ready for
To buy my barrel what would be a good twist rate for all around shooting.
  • 1 month later...
My advice... buy a basic, complete upper and lower (or whole rifle) and shoot the piss out of it until you notice improvements that can be made by changing out parts for reliability and ergonomics. I promise that within a couple years (or less) that rifle will be part of you... then, you'll know what you want to build. Sounds like a lot of time invested, but that's way better than spending a ton of money on a setup that doesn't work, or fit you, before you are accustomed to the platform.
  • Like 5

My advice... buy a basic, complete upper and lower (or whole rifle) and shoot the piss out of it until you notice improvements that can be made by changing out parts for reliability and ergonomics. I promise that within a couple years (or less) that rifle will be part of you... then, you'll know what you want to build. Sounds like a lot of time invested, but that's way better than spending a ton of money on a setup that doesn't work, or fit you, before you are accustomed to the platform.

That's the best way to put it that I've heard.
Absolutely spot on advice from MLTN, as usual!

That's pretty much exactly what I did for my first 3 ARs. They are all a little different and serve different purposes. (But mainly are all there for when the Zombie Apocalypse happens)

I am going the full custom route with my next one, however. I ordered the guts (lower, stripped upper, upper parts kit, and a basic trigger for now) from a crazy PSA deal earlier this week. This will be a basic but solid varmint style gun with probably a 20" fluted stainless heavy bull barrel and some high powered optic.. probably a Vortex from what I've been looking at so far.

TrickyNicky's comments/suggestions are inline with Eddie's philosophy of starting with a mostly put-together gun. Just slap the halves together and shoot! Tons of fun!

Welcome to the addiction. ;-)

That's what I did. I bought a Bushmaster Patrolman Quadrail Carbine. I got well aquainted with it, and found a few things I didn't care fo on it. This gave me ideas for exactly what I wanted to build. The result is a rifle I'm 100% happy with, and put together by me. Very good advice.

Brownells has some great video on how to.

As for the Pistol with the CMT, I have two of the billets upper and lowers, they seem a bit heavy to make a pistol out of. Great uppers and lowers, just seem a bit on the heavy side.

Good luck with it, and its like a lego set, its all for the most part just plug and play.

FlyBoy

At first I was going to build something along the lines of this:

M16A2_-_AM.016070.jpg

Then, slowly, it turned into this:

BCM-URG-Mk12-1%20RAS-5.jpg?1334734642

But now, I'm more of an ak guy, so I am slowly gathering parts for this and my new ak at the same time. IF you look around, you can find some really good deals.

Edited by that_guy
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...