93 rare Dodge Vipers ordered destroyed by Chrysler

Guest TankerHC

Guest TankerHC

Donated to schools and other organizations. Some kids had taken a couple out for joy rides, considering no safety and no registration and not governed, capable of producing 600HP, Chrysler says they are now a liability. So has ordered them all destroyed within 2 weeks, including one of the prototypes that could bring a quarter of a million right now. 

Ill bet a dollar to a donut that a couple of them turn into barn finds 40 years from now.

http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/chrysler-orders-93-rare-early-vipers-to-the-crusher-170043330.html?vp=1

Edited by TankerHC
Just saw this on the morning news and wanted to vomit !!

I wasn't concerned when I heard it yesterday because I assumed they were all GT models, which while still a Viper, doesn't get me as giddy as a GTS. Then what do I see getting scissored into pieces by the mouth of an excavator.... a GTS !!!

I like this, if for nothing else, it's a nice check on the schools to remind them they don't own the world.

The story I heard said FIAT was having them destroyed . Sounded like they were just covering their a**,lol.

Especially with GM's decade lapsed blunder of forgetting to tell owners about an ignition "key falls out and you die"  issue !

And whatever you do don't mention "the children" . Otherwise they'll be saved, then auctioned off, only to see that money go to a third world country where Angelina just got back with 2 more adoptee's :stunned:

CYA is exactly what they're doing.  The value of those cars is nil in comparison to the expense of lawsuits should some moron hurt themselves in one of the cars.  They don't meet federal safety or emissions standards and are a huge liability because of that.

I dealt with a handful of prototype cars during my time in the auto industry (a Viper was one of them).  The vast majority of those cars were complete basket cases and a total nightmare to do anything with.  Simply registering them (even in TN!) was a major PITA because of all the paperwork involved.  We had a BMW Z3 that the local dealer refused to work on.  After a few years, most all of them got scrapped. 

And while I think the Viper is a really cool car... the early one's were complete POS's.  It's a parts bin car with a big motor, zoomy bodywork, and a huge price tag.  They were rattle traps, rode horribly, and generally just fell apart with any real use.  Later versions were/are much better cars. 

So are all cars a liability because someone can steal them and have a wreck? Another thing that is good dies over the threat of a lawsuit.

Agreed.

I would have no issue with driving a blemished GTS !

Guest semiautots

Sad to see these destroyed.  The Viper is an iconic American car that has pushed the rivalry with the Corvette to new highs.  The Corvette and the Viper would not be where they are today without each other.

Chrysler really wants the schools to train kids on ford pinto's and pt cruisers. no money in luxury car work. on another note, anyone w basic Chrysler knowledge can wrench on a newer maserati, they wreak of chrysler. Long live the judge and super bee!

Guest 6.8 AR

That's just asinine. If it has anything to do with liability, it is even more ridiculous. Take them back and auction them off

to someone who wants them, not be stupid and destroy them.

That SRT truck?

One of my sons friends, his grandpa is a Dr, I've sat in his G2 2002-GTS-ACR and before viper shut down production I heard he bought a G4 couple/ACR but I've never seen it, I thought after the G3 they stopped building roadsters, that's why I asked about your yr, I should have paid more attention to the hood..

The trivia question: nope... 5yr run 97,99-2002 Prowler, I have a Black 99.

To me Vipers have been turds up until 2004, especially the 93's with zip up windows.  They have the same interior as the Chrysler Town and Country, just like Corvettes had/have Tahoe interior.  Now this doesn't mean they can't be fun.  Especially with a blower :)

Hopefully the newest one takes SRT (I know the C7 does) into a better class, haven't had a chance to be in one yet.

Since Chrysler/Fiat needs money.... why not sell them?

Probably because they'd lose even more money doing so.  Manufacturers can't sell vehicles that don't meet current safety and emission standards.  Dealers can - manufacturers can't.  Besides, there's undoubtedly a tax advantage in scrapping them.

Edited by enfield
Guest TankerHC

The Prowler. What'd I win?

loved the look of that car. Too bad it was an underpowered pos. Kinda like the 79 TA i had. Couldn't even sell that thing because of its engine reputation.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2