OK or lunacy? Range in your backyard in a residential area.

Guest TankerHC

Guest TankerHC

Ok, so I'm not posting this because I care that this guy set up a range in his backyard in a residential neighborhood. Although it is clear he is bringing negative publicity but whatever someone does in their backyard, if it is legal, who's to say he cant...or shouldn't? There are a lot of threads on here where people say "Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should". But even in my neighborhood which is semi rural even though its on the outskirts, there is a farm a block away and a mountain on the other side, I could walk 60 seconds and shoot, legally, but don't. This is a built up area the other two directions, kids AND adults play here all the time, plenty of cars driving by, so I drive the 4 miles to the range. But in fact, at night I do hear gunshots and plenty of times during the day. Right up on the top of the hill a few months ago they had to take out a pack of Coyotes and I have no idea what the other shooting is for (Coons?). But I am curious as to what you all think about this, because according to the article, plenty of rational shooters are not too happy about it.

http://news.yahoo.com/florida-mayor-fights-backyard-gun-ranges-gunshine-state-160945847--sector.html

Edited by TankerHC

Far be it from me to tell someone he can't do something on property he/she paid for BUT when you cross over the safety line I think it's a good idea for someone to step in. That being said, they need a VERY clear definition of what the safe/unsafe line is because if left up to individual discretion it could run a muck. One anti gun LEO or public official armed with personal discretion is a recipe for disaster so i'm not sure what restriction they could put in place that would keep idiots like this from shooting across a canal where his wife has to play crossing guard but would not hinder another man from setting up a safe shooting environment because each cituation will be different and I've already given my opinion about things being left up to an individuals personal discretion. This guy and others like him are in the process of making the shooting lives of safe respectful shooters a major pain in the ass. A 7'x7' backstop is no where near sufficient in an area that there is a possibility of someone cruising by behind it much less somewhere that folks regularly cruise by behind it. I think an argument could be made that the canal, since used as a motor vehicle (boat) route, is essentially the same as a roadway and since a bullet may not pass over a roadway technically he would have to give up his dangerous redneck range. 

I love the law that protects folks right to shoot and I love even more that it has a very sharp set of teeth to it but asshats like this guy will get the law repealed or amended in such a way that responsible folks will be the ones to pay the price. Like you mentioned Tanker, just because something is permissible doesn't automatically make it wise. This might be an opportunity for responsible gun owners to speak out against an idiot and give everyone a glimpse of the good (true) side of the shooting community because as it stands right now it seems to be showing a 100% negative side.

I am 2 miles past BFE and my neighbor got in trouble for a range on his own property. 60+ acres, a backstop, h*ll he even dug out his own berm,lol.

But one nagging neighbor down the street didn't care for the noise so he was reported for "noise pollution".

Point is it can happen anywhere.

The "its his property and he can do what he wants on it" approach simply is not valid.   I live where guns are not to be fired due to city limits, but I cannot, for example, expect to be able to put a concert quality set of speakers out in my yard with a gigawatt amp on em and crank up the tunes at 2 am complete with flashing disco ball floodlights and more.    Because that is annoying and unfair to everyone else on the block, assuming they do not like my taste in music.  It would even be questionable to do this on a *regular* basis during daylight hours.  Once for a party, they might laugh it off, but every day from noon to 3 would soon have some complaints.  

It has long been true that excessive noise (gunfire qualifies), lights, etc are not appropriated in neighborhoods.  Because *everyone* paid to live there, and bubba's right to blast cans all weekend does not trump the cranky old guy down the street's right to sleep all day.  

It has long been true that excessive noise (gunfire qualifies), lights, etc are not appropriated in neighborhoods.  Because *everyone* paid to live there, and bubba's right to blast cans all weekend does not trump the cranky old guy down the street's right to sleep all day.  

What about leaf blowers, lawn mowers, construction machinery, etc?

• Like 2

The "its his property and he can do what he wants on it" approach simply is not valid.   I live where guns are not to be fired due to city limits, but I cannot, for example, expect to be able to put a concert quality set of speakers out in my yard with a gigawatt amp on em and crank up the tunes at 2 am complete with flashing disco ball floodlights and more.    Because that is annoying and unfair to everyone else on the block, assuming they do not like my taste in music.  It would even be questionable to do this on a *regular* basis during daylight hours.  Once for a party, they might laugh it off, but every day from noon to 3 would soon have some complaints.  

Which is why there's noise ordinances....   Like I said, if this place doesn't have one now, it will soon thanks to this guy. 

What about leaf blowers, lawn mowers, construction machinery, etc?

Such things rarely go on day in and day out for years on end.   If I hard a range I would be out there 3 or so times a week and my neighbors would  be ready to boil me alive within a year.

A noise ord is a good solution.   Certain hours are off limits,  guy gets to shoot sometimes, everyone wins.  

Edited by Jonnin
  • Like 1

I have had the cops called on me several times. They showed up and we let them pull the trigger on our toys. I have officers at my place regularly.

As it stands right now I try to shoot something at least once a week. When the weather warms up I will be shooting probably 4-5 days a week. I am aware of when my neighbors work and I try to keep my shooting between 10am and 2pm. I do have one neighbor though that has tried to start crap. He doesn't live on the property, just visits from time to time. I was showing some kids how to shoot and he came on my property cussing like a fool. After we had a "discussion" I gave him my number and told him to call me anytime he was coming to visit his property. I told him I would not shoot any day he called and that he would never hear another gun shot. His response was I should not be shooting and that he should not have to call. I told him I would still shoot then and he said he was going to call LE to tell them I have illegal machine guns.

I have had the cops called on me several times. They showed up and we let them pull the trigger on our toys. I have officers at my place regularly.

As it stands right now I try to shoot something at least once a week. When the weather warms up I will be shooting probably 4-5 days a week. I am aware of when my neighbors work and I try to keep my shooting between 10am and 2pm. I do have one neighbor though that has tried to start crap. He doesn't live on the property, just visits from time to time. I was showing some kids how to shoot and he came on my property cussing like a fool. After we had a "discussion" I gave him my number and told him to call me anytime he was coming to visit his property. I told him I would not shoot any day he called and that he would never hear another gun shot. His response was I should not be shooting and that he should not have to call. I told him I would still shoot then and he said he was going to call LE to tell them I have illegal machine guns.

My response to that would be "go for it. I'll be sure to return the favor by letting them know who filed the false report."
Guest 6.8 AR

Residential neighborhood is a little ambiguous. Typically, outside the city limits and reasonable responsible shooters should

be able to do what they please. There are things known as property rights and in the city limits the city usually takes excessive

advantage of their power to restrict. I wouldn't want to be shooting and interfering with my neighbor if he's very close, but a little

politeness and notification plus being responsible should be enough.

There are too many different versions of the word safety out there to suit me. Some folks are a bit emotional.

Guest TankerHC

Residential neighborhood is a little ambiguous. Typically, outside the city limits and reasonable responsible shooters should

be able to do what they please. There are things known as property rights and in the city limits the city usually takes excessive

advantage of their power to restrict. I wouldn't want to be shooting and interfering with my neighbor if he's very close, but a little

politeness and notification plus being responsible should be enough.

There are too many different versions of the word safety out there to suit me. Some folks are a bit emotional.

Unfortunately there has to be, because there are too many people out there like this person doing dumb stuff like not wearing seat belts. I know, I see them all the time.

omg-seatbelt_thumb_zps2c488516.jpg

Guest PapaB

Unfortunately there has to be, because there are too many people out there like this person doing dumb stuff like not wearing seat belts. I know, I see them all the time.

omg-seatbelt_thumb_zps2c488516.jpg

Do you need a seatbelt when you have your own airbags?

Since when did they start using wood in center consoles ? Looks like she's mad cause someone left a fingerprint on it!
If I had 60 acres and built all that to shoot, and had a nuisance neighbor, I'd start tuning chainsaws for a hobby

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 of course it ate my spelling.