First handgun?

that_guy

32 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you recommend?

• Kimber Custom II
    • Beretta 92fs (made in US)
    • other (please comment)

[quote name="that_guy" post="1122824" timestamp="1394482992"]ummm...bad experiences with Kimber don't make me feel very comfortable..... Anyone ever had bad experiences with Beretta?[/quote] You can hear bad experiences about every company if you listen long enough man. I consider Glock the most dependable brand of firearm made based on personal experience but if you look you'll see people that have had problems from theirs. ANY gun will fail if ran hard and long enough, I don't care how much money you spend. As James Yeager says, if you have a gun that hasn't malfunctioned, you have ran it hard enough

ummm...bad experiences with Kimber don't make me feel very comfortable..... Anyone ever had bad experiences with Beretta?

Other than it feeling like a brick in the hand...no. I've got a 92FS Brigadier and it shoots great. Very little recoil with such a large frame and the heavier slide.

I think you should take your time and look around. The Beretta 92 and the 1911 are almost completely opposite ends of the spectrum. Go to some gun stores and fondle everything they have. I'm not sure I would tell you to get a 1911 at this point. For a first handgun, the 1911 needs to be the only the only option on the table if you are considering one. God forbid you have an issue with it out of the box and you'll become a hater like some of the others on this forum.

Take a look at some of the handguns from FN. They make a fine double stack weapon as well.
  • Moderators
[quote name="MrBrian" post="1122840" timestamp="1394485650"]Just buy this and stop worrying about it lol [url="http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/76885-glock-19-gen-3-w-12-night-sights/"]http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/76885-glock-19-gen-3-w-12-night-sights/[/url][/quote] Hey I like that one! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

.. and if it absolutely comes down to not being able to choose between two guns... flip a coin

the coin flip is a sacred ritual. At this point it is a last resort option. if the handgun has not been chosen by 7:00 local time. I will flip it. It shall be a two out of three, Heads being Kimber and tails being Beretta. Wish me luck. lol

the coin flip is a sacred ritual. At this point it is a last resort option. if the handgun has not been chosen by 7:00 local time. I will flip it. It shall be a two out of three, Heads being Kimber and tails being Beretta. Wish me luck. lol

Wow. Well that's one way to go about it.

ummm...bad experiences with Kimber don't make me feel very comfortable..... Anyone ever had bad experiences with Beretta?

You will hear good and bad about any gun you choose. I would say that since you are talking about two manufacturers with top of the line reputations; it won’t be an issue.

However, one of the guns you are looking at is used. Don’t ever pay near new price for a used gun. What if Bubba had it? What if he “tweaked” the trigger, fitted a new safety, polished the feed ramp with a Dremel tool, dry fired it 5K times while watching TV, or shot a bunch of junk steel case ammo through it? You already said you budget was higher than the extra hundred or hundred and a half it would take to get new. Even a Glock or an AK can fail to fire after Bubba has tweaked it.... and you will be blaming the mfg. biggrin.gif

$620 seems a might high for a Beretta.  They are good dependable firearms, but they are awfully large for the caliber and not as concealable as a 1911, though neither is much fun to carry concealed.  If you like the 9mm round, then look at a Glock or a CZ75. If you love the .45, then buy a Rock Island and spend the extra cash you save on ammunition and a range membership. If you want to go a little higher end the look at a Springfield or a Ruger, Government model.  No need for special tools for takedown. The spring and plug were just fine in 1911s until someone got the brilliant idea to install guide rods in them.  Personally, unless you are able to shoot the ass off a gnat anyway, they don't make much difference to the average shooter. That being said, I own a Springfield Loaded with a full length guide rod in it, but it's not because some great shot.  It came on the gun. :)

I like good quality and information on what I am buying before I impulse buy something.

My kind of guy.  Does his homework, researches the issue, asks for advice and opinions, then decides with a coin toss ...

• Like 1

The coin toss, once again a sacred ritual only to be performed in time of need, has shown me the ways. I flipped my lucky dollar coin with a president of which has the same first name as me, therefore making it my lucky dollar coin. The coin has told me to go with the 1911 and purchase the Beretta a little bit later. Or I may not get the Beretta and go with something such as a GLock.

My :2 cents:

Go pickup the gun the coin chose. While you're there and before you fill out any paperwork or open your wallet, go put hands on everything else in your budget and some stuff $100. - $200. over.

If you still want the Kimber then grab it. If you get a good one you'll learn the valuable lesson that buying used guns is a good way to save money.

If you buy a bad one you'll learn that sometimes it's better to pony up the extra $$$ and get something new w/warranty. Especially when it's something you don't know much about.

If I bought a used gun I could identify a broken firing pin (as an example) as an issue, most likely could find a new one and fix it myself too. Same with a lot of the small "minor" parts that guns don't tend to work too well without.

I also know when to box something up and take it to someone more knowledgable than myself when needed. That's another good lesson a used gun can teach you.

I don't mean to rain on your parade or come across as preachy, just want you aware of some of the pitfalls when buying used. Do you have a friend who is knowledgable who can go with you to look it over?
  • Like 1

Please explain why you need a tool to remove a 1911 barrel bushing. The only time a bushing wrench is nice is if you have a full length guide rod. If you find that a tightly fitted bushing is hard to get out you are not field stripping the gun properly. High end guns need a different procedure. Pull the slide back to the takedown notch and remove the stop with everything still intact in the slide, recoil spring parts and all. Catch the recoil spring and remove it. Now you can push the barrel forward and remove the barrel and bushing as a unit (now with the bushing positioned away from the muzzle). A tightly fitted bushing shouldn't be removed with the barrel in full battery position. Twisting and grinding on the parts that need the most precise fit is a good way to ruin a match bushing/barrel job.

Also, what is annoying about a grip safety? It's just a good safety feature that naturally works when you grip the gun.

You need a tool when it won't come out without one  --- as is the case on both of mine (a colt and a para).  And yes, I use the above procedure of taking the stop out first.  It still takes a lot of force to rotate it for removal.  It does not just push out on these, it is keyed and has to be rotated about 45 degrees to remove.  This is where the tool is needed, it will NOT rotate by hand.  I am sure it does move easily in some models, it varies.  But on these it is tight to the frame and tight to the barrel and you have very little to grasp.  It is a part that could easily be eliminated (and has been, in every other semi auto pistol design).

The grip safety is annoying because it moves and you can feel it -- and it is totally unnecessary.   My sig 938 lacks this "feature" (actually it lacks both the bushing and grip safety!) and is just fine without -- actually this is a better design, and I would love a full sized 45 version of it for the range.

Edited by Jonnin

Did you buy your first handgun yet?  If so, what did you get?

the 1911 was my choice (or the coin's choice, whatever). The 1911 of choice was in the classifieds, ex-race gun. We have decided to meet up soon to transact our commodities. I will post an update when I have shot a few mags out of it.

Guest tangojuliet

If you are not going to carry, a full sized 4" or 6" revolver  in .38 spl would be my suggestion. Otherwise go Glock!

yes on the revolver, NO ON THE GLOCK !!!  but i will stil say go for the 1911 

[quote name="tangojuliet" post="1124217" timestamp="1394748441"]yes on the revolver, NO ON THE GLOCK !!! but i will stil say go for the 1911 [/quote] You buy a Glock and the illness will start. Next thing you know you will own many Glocks with the uncontrollable urge to buy more.
  • 1 month later...

You asked for opinions, so here goes...Jonnin has made the best case for this so far.

Pick you purpose. Pick one that is comfortable to carry and use within that stated purpose. Try rental guns to find out how each fit you. Then make your own decision based on those criteria.

Now for my opinion...get a Glock for your first gun as a semiauto. (Personally, I believe every person's first should be a good 4" revolver. Once you have achieved a degree of comfort and ability with it, go to a semi. But that's just my opinion. That's how my father, who was a competitive shooter for 20 years or so taught me. And it's worked for me.)

Glock 19. Good caliber, weight is acceptable for easy carry and concealment, makes a great house gun, a good range gun as well. Parts are readily available, easily cleaned, ammo is reasonably available and cost effective for sport and home defense.

That's my take on it.

Don't want to hijack the thread, but I'm also considering getting my first handgun.  Leaning toward getting full-size before eventually getting compact for carry purposes.  Feel like I have a lot to learn before I carry.  Just curious, what revolver would you recommend for a first handgun?  I've been looking online at the Smith and Wesson 686 4", but they seem to be hard to find.  Also, even though the .38 would be manageable, not sure about the .357 magnum.  Again, don't want to hijack the thread, just saw your response and wanted to pick your brain.  Thanks!

My first proper handgun was a Beretta 92F, with which I took my permit class in 2003, so I'm partial to a full size 9mm as a first pistol. You'll shoot more, plain and simple. If a Glock, get a 17... If a Sig, a P226... if a Beretta, a 92 will treat you right... If a CZ, get a 75... If a S&W, an M&P full size... If a Springfield, an XD9 Tactical. etc. Start with that short list and see which one fits your hand best, manipulate the controls and see which feels natural, then buy it and a couple cases of ammo, and shoot the piss out of it.