HCP reminder from Knox Sheriff

When the letter says that if you lapse that you will have to re-certify do they mean that you will have to take the shooting portion all over again?

Here in MI if you allow your CPL to expire they can not force you to take your shooting segment over again although some misinformed county clerks will try and tell to that you do.

When the letter says that if you lapse that you will have to re-certify do they mean that you will have to take the shooting portion all over again?

In TN, you have a 6-month grace period past the expiration, where your permit is not valid but you can renew without having to re-take anything. After 6 months you have to start from the beginning.

Per www.tn.gov/safety/handgun/renewals.shtml

If the handgun carry permit has been expired greater than 6 months past the expiration date, the applicant will have to start the complete original application process. This includes completing a handgun safety course, paying the $115 fee, being fingerprinted and undergoing a background check.

Edited by NashvilleStage

I just put my renewal in the mail this morning. Hope it does not take to long even though my existing permit is good through 6/5/2014.

I renewed mine early and got it in about 2 weeks. You should have no problem getting it on time.

I have to be Johnny Raincloud here.

I am glad I am not a Knox County taxpayer.  Lets see the postal stamp costs $0.49 each.  According to this information, there are 23,139 CCW permit in Knox Co as of this story from WATE.  http://www.wate.com/story/17588612/more-people-in-tennessee-may-be-carrying-guns-than-you-think

So if Sheriff JJ Jones sent one of these letters to each, that is ~$11,338 and that does not include the labor to create and mail.  Thats a pretty good trick, use taxpayer money to fund a soft re-election campaign ad. 

Yep, my first thought was how is this kosher with the current sheriff using the HCP database, and especially for campaign purposes, what with the primary less than 60 days away. And I too wonder about the legality of this what with the fairly new law about that.

Incidentally, I didn't get one, but just got a flyer from his competitor today, Bobby Waggoner, who claims massive cronyism and overspending with regards to Jones' executive staff

County primary is is May 6th.

- OS

Knox county ethics complaint form Interestingly no anonymous complaints are accepted https://www.knoxcounty.org/ethics_committee/pdfs/knox_ethics_complaint.pdf

If I had a Twitter account and knew how, I'd put it on Waggoner's twitter feed along with link to this thread, probably get things stirred quicker:

https://twitter.com/wagg4sheriff

Can't find a simple email link on http://waggonerforsheriff.com

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

as far as I know Jones has gone by JJ forever.   The sign on the road pointing someone towards the jail has "Jimmy JJ Jones" on it as well. 

If not all of the rest of you Knox residents got the letter he may be sending it only to people like me who took their permit course through the sheriff's office program for HCP's.

I would guess they kept a database of people who took the course there.

as for the cost of mailing it is not 49 cents per piece.  The stamp is from a Pitney Bowes machine and is marked as presorted standard, cost 21 cents.

The only thing I found odd is that my permit does not expire for well over a year from now.

• Like 1

Just my opinion, nothing more...

It's a political office. Politicians run for re-election...

I know several officers from various counties (So) and towns (PD) that all speak highly of Sheriff JJ Jones.

As far as I know Sheriff Jones is a Pro Constitutionally Protected Rights individual.

I would rather have him, or any other politician, garner votes from Pro Gun folks than say, PETA or some other libtard group.

I don't know anything about Waggoner, but I'm willing to listen to opinions and will certainly look into his platform and history myself.

Again, just my opinion and worth exactly the cost of admission... :cool:

Looks like a reelection tactic to me, term limits will get him :)

Voting for term limits was probably the worst voting mistake of my life. It sounded like a good idea at the time, but in reality it removed the 3 or 4 really good county commissioners in Knox County and replaced them with zero good commissioners. I have no informed opinion on the current commissioners though.

Yep, my first thought was how is this kosher with the current sheriff using the HCP database, and especially for campaign purposes, what with the primary less than 60 days away. And I too wonder about the legality of this what with the fairly new law about that.

Incidentally, I didn't get one, but just got a flyer from his competitor today, Bobby Waggoner, who claims massive cronyism and overspending with regards to Jones' executive staff

County primary is is May 6th.

- OS

Don't have to use the database, just go to the Commercial Appeal site, it lists name and city and expiration date of your permit.