Going through a major lifestyle change.

mav

My cutter sat me down and had a heart to heart with me prior to having my knee replaced.  Between my age (58 at the time) and my tobacco use (2 packs a day for way too many years), he wanted to alert me to a few facts.

Said as he was going to be dragging a saw through my leg twice, and the surgery was fairly long, he had to really put me under.  Opined the chance of a serious stroke with the smoking as a causal agent were substantial, but, if I kicked for a couple of months prior to, I could reduce that change by 50%. (plus suggested cold turkey on a freshly sawed leg was going to be a little problematic)  Said if my dumba** wanted to pick it back up on the other side, I could, but, the smart money was on putting them down that day.

Best decision I ever made.

Every time I step out of a restaurant and smell a Marlborough I want one, and always will, but I have it beat.  I convinced the wife I should be able to spend the savings on shooting stuff, has worked out pretty well.

• Like 1

My cutter sat me down and had a heart to heart with me prior to having my knee replaced.  Between my age (58 at the time) and my tobacco use (2 packs a day for way too many years), he wanted to alert me to a few facts.

Said as he was going to be dragging a saw through my leg twice, and the surgery was fairly long, he had to really put me under.  Opined the chance of a serious stroke with the smoking as a causal agent were substantial, but, if I kicked for a couple of months prior to, I could reduce that change by 50%. (plus suggested cold turkey on a freshly sawed leg was going to be a little problematic)  Said if my dumba** wanted to pick it back up on the other side, I could, but, the smart money was on putting them down that day.

Best decision I ever made.

Every time I step out of a restaurant and smell a Marlborough I want one, and always will, but I have it beat.  I convinced the wife I should be able to spend the savings on shooting stuff, has worked out pretty well.

Good for you.

I used to smell a cigarette and stil crave them, but I swear the cigs today smell more like ass that tobacco. Must be the crap they put in them to keep them from staying lit.

If I still smoked I'd have to roll my own.

Good luck.

Good job, Mav.

Every time I go in to the gas station, buying a can if dip crosses my mind. Of course it's easier to resist now that early on, but the desire is still there. It gets easier, stay strong and find a vise to otherwise soothe your jones

I'm with you but I'm not so sure it gets easier...  Been quit for 9 years and getting a can of copenhagen crosses my mind every time I stop at a gas station too.

Good job, Mav.

I'm with you but I'm not so sure it gets easier...  Been quit for 9 years and getting a can of copenhagen crosses my mind every time I stop at a gas station too.

It's only the first 15 years that are tough.

• Like 2

Good for you.
I used to smell a cigarette and stil crave them, but I swear the cigs today smell more like ass that tobacco. Must be the crap they put in them to keep them from staying lit.
If I still smoked I'd have to roll my own.

Good luck.

This is the reason I quit. Whatever it is they added to these cigarettes to make them fire safety made me sick.I started to notice I was getting nauseous after I lit up, especially after I ate. I ignored it for a while but then someone said does the side of the box have a fsc on it, I said yeah. That's when I found out about that by a certain date all cigarettes in TN had to have this. I wrote one of the company's a e-mail and was told nothing added to the cigarette for fsc would be making me sick. That was the last pack I ever picked up. Hell what's the point of smoking a cigarette if you can't enjoy it anymore. If I get a hard craving i pick up a cigar and take a few puffs and im done. That fsc crap was a blessing in disguise for me.

Good to hear so many fellow TGO'ers have kicked one BAD habit. 4 years for me coming up next week.  And just for giggles look up all those lovely ingredients in smokeless tobacco. I did after I quit just to see what I did to my body. WOW , lots of stuff in there I couldn't even spell or pronounce,lol.

• 4 weeks later...

Just finished day 46, and I am still tobacco free.  :)  The cravings are pretty easy to fight at this point, but I am surprised that I still crave it everyday.  In the end I think all I am doing is switching the tobacco habit for a gum and Jolly Rancher habit.

I started smoking when I was 16 and I just turned 25. I was smoking about 1 pack a day. I decided about two months ago that I wanted to cut back on smoking. I bought a vaporizer to use as a substitute. I really had no intention of quitting, I really enjoyed smoking, I just wanted to save some money and I knew cutting back would be better for my health.

I found that I really enjoy the vaporizer more than cigarettes. The first week I smoked 1-3 cigarettes per day until I finished the pack. The second week I had basically quit. The third week was a stressful week mostly because of work and I went out and bought a pack and smoked 5 that weekend.

I still have the rest of that pack and it has been almost a month and a half since I smoked. I don't crave them really at all. The vaporizer produces a much more satisfying "smoke". Even at first when I felt cravings and would smoke one, I realized it was the habit that I was craving not the cigarette.

When I got the vaporizer I told one of my coworkers, my brother, and my mother about them. All three of them have either cut back to just a few or done the same as I have. If anyone is thinking of quitting smoking I HIGHLY recommend getting a vaporizer.