buying a truck, need advice

here is the link to the tundra I'm  looking at. I was in the neighborhood earlier and drove by the lot where its at and slowed down to look at it, I couldn't stop because I had my 4 year old with me and its too cold out today for her to be standing around in it while I looked at the truck. It looks sharp in person. The only thing I'm  kinda turned off about is the factory Toyota wheels being painted black. That's not a huge deal though, because I could get the paint off of them, or buy some aftermarket wheels, which I probably would do anyway. The truck has Nitto Mud Grapplers on it, with what looks to be a lot of tread left. If I got the truck the next set of tires would be a good set at A/T's though. Anyway here it is.

http://www.zmotorschatt.com/2007_Toyota_Tundra_Chattanooga_TN_224486562.veh

My only advice is to pay cash and make it a Ford.

Unfortunately, Im a young workin man. Im not at the point in my life yet to where I can pay cash for a nice vehicle. I will have a decent amount for down payment though

Unfortunately, Im a young workin man. Im not at the point in my life yet to where I can pay cash for a nice vehicle. I will have a decent amount for down payment though

But you are at the point of going into debt?

I won't argue with you but before you sign that contract look at the bottom line and see what you will be really paying for the now 4 year older dream truck at the end of contract.

Good luck.

• Like 2

There are a lot of flooded vehicles on the market.  Make sure you put it on a rack and look at the underside metal.  Focus on the nut & bolts and inside the frame, where it's hard to wash out.

You also may want to look inside the truck for dirt and rust on metal parts up under the dashboard as a better indication of possible flood damage. That is what my son does when someone brings a car into his repair shop to be checked out before buying and he has found quite a few that had water up in the dash systems with  dried mud still caked on the wires up inside the dash.................jmho

• Like 1

I'm a ford man myself, don't get me wrong. That was my first choice till I found this tundra. Im still not dead set on the tundra, but as I've said I've always wanted one since the first time I saw the 07+. If I don't get this tundra, or another tundra like it, I will most definitely be getting a ford.

I was looking for a Ford when I found my Tundra too. I assumed the Ford would be less expensive, but for the options I wanted I couldn't find a Ford anywhere close to the price. After I bought the Tundra a mechanic friend of mine, who is also a TGO member said I made the right choice. He said he sees way too many of the (I think) 5.4L F150s in his shop. As with all things car related, YMMV. I, however, am forever a Toyota man now. At least when it comes to trucks.

• Like 1

But you are at the point of going into debt?

I won't argue with you but before you sign that contract look at the bottom line and see what you will be really paying for the now 4 year older dream truck at the end of contract.

Good luck.

thanks for the advice. Ive already got all that figured out when I went and got my preapproval at my credit union. I have good credit, so I'm getting a 2.89% interest rate. At $20,000 and 2.89% interest, its under a grand in interest over the life of the loan. But im not going to spend 20k, so its going to be even more negligible. I wish I could pay cash, unfortunately I just cant.

Guest TankerHC

I'm a ford man myself, don't get me wrong. That was my first choice till I found this tundra. Im still not dead set on the tundra, but as I've said I've always wanted one since the first time I saw the 07+. If I don't get this tundra, or another tundra like it, I will most definitely be getting a ford.

I have owned 06, 08, 12 and 13 Tundras. The Fords could not even come close. I say if your buying a used truck, definitely a Tundra. If your buying new, definitely a Tundra unless you like technological advancement then you can barely tell the difference  between the Fords and the Tundra's until you climb inside, then there is a major difference.

The only thing I would change, is if you are spending upwards of $65-$70,000, then Ram Laramie with the Rambox option, which is what I would have liked to do, I just could not see spending 65 grand for something that I could get basically  the same thing (Without the Rambox) for 25 less, plus way less with incentives and trade in.

One thing I will say, is if Toyota is offering a giveaway incentive, dont believe it for a second that you will see it anytime soon. They said within 30 days on a thousand dollars worth of power tools. Six months later, they still had not shown up. Call after call, the dealer "Not our responsibility, it  is a Toyota incentive, have to call Toyota". Have called Toyota 100 times. First couple of times, we will get it to you, we are so backed up we dont know when it will be. That was months ago. December, we are getting it out, 4-6 days, didnt get it, they call me back. Still backed up. Called yesterday.10 months down the road and I am still waiting on that $1000 incentive.

When I bought the truck, towing capacity was best in class, no longer. Ford. One of the selling points was their frame construction. According to J.D. Power, it was, 10 months ago. Now they say things are moving so fast that toyota needs to play catch up. Far lighter frames are out, especially Ford, and Toyota is still manufacturing trucks with their old style frames.  Another selling point, only truck that could legally claim "Made in America" based on parts manufactured in the US and 100% assembled in Texas. no longer, Ford holds that top spot. 

I love my Tundra, and liked all of them even the mid size 06. For the money, next time it will be a Ford unless Toyota imporves on something that makes it a must buy. Otherwise like moving from a 12-13 for towing capacity (4.7 vs 5.7), it will be the same Truck as the 11, 12, 13, 14. Other than bigger (Crew Max) and the 4x4 switch in the cab, it is the exact same truck as my 12 SR5

Guest TankerHC

better start a tire replacement fund for that thing.  Them mud tires might not last very long on pavement.   Big ass truck tires ain't cheap.

I have 30,000 on mine, I had it in for service a few weeks ago. They checked the tires and said, like new. I had them filled with nitrogen, the were changing pressure too much when the weather changed, they do not change at all now and all the refills are free.

But you right, if I have to replace the tires on mine with the same tires. $350 per tire. Hope mine dont go any time soon. 

[quote name="Mike.357" post="1123764" timestamp="1394661502"]better start a tire replacement fund for that thing. Them mud tires might not last very long on pavement. Big ass truck tires ain't cheap.[/quote] If I got that truck, after those tires wore out I would definitely not put something like that back on it since it will live 99.9% of its life on road
Guest TankerHC

If I got that truck, after those tires wore out I would definitely not put something like that back on it since it will live 99.9% of its life on road

I looked at cheaper road tires for mine to see what they would run. Cheaper mean $300 instead of $350 each. For big mud tires, on mine I need an additional 2 inch lift or a leveling kit. 

Guest TankerHC

Ill throw a couple of other things in here about the Tundra, you may already know but this is from my recent personal experience and based on comments above.

If you decide on the smaller V8, dont expect to buy a bigger trailer later on and be able to tow it. The motor wont handle much over 4000 pounds, my trailer is 30 foot long, weighs 10,000 pounds. I was told "no problem, people tow with that with the 4.6 (or 7, whatever it was), all the time.

1st problem. Towing capacity includes the truck and anything in the truck along with the trailer and of course anything inside of it. The smaller V8 Tundra is not made for that. The engine doesnt strain...a whole lot. But the brakes are not made for heavy tow. Neither is the frame. Coming down the road the first time, hit the brakes and kept on rolling. Right through a red light. Took me 300 feet to stop at the speed limit. To tow a larger trailer required the most towing capacity I could find.

2. The brakes, if you go with a any of the Standard SR5's, to tow anything heavier than about 4500, you will have to upgrade the brakes, your looking at another 3 grand for that. Along with new shocks and struts.

3. Of all the trucks I looked at, which was all of them,, and I dont know if Toyota changed it for 2014, but Tundra is the only truck that did not come with a built in Electronic brake controller. On both of mine, I had to buy the controller, about $130, drill holes in the dash and the controller connection is behind the left panel on the drivers side, so you have to run your controller wire around it. No plug in access until you unspool the controller wire. On everyone else's Trucks, its built in and the controller buttons are right on the dash. 

4. Everything on the SR5 Crewmax is extra heavy duty. Nothing on the standards is heavy duty and towing really is limited regardless of what the salesman says. To upgrade to tow heavier, to get everything up to standard from the standard SR5, will run an extra 12 grand easy. And you can buy it already done, with a TSS, for just an extra 5000. 

Just a thought. 

One thing on an above comment, you cannot buy a V6 in a Tundra except for special order now. You rarely find them on the lot. Reason being the small V8 since 12 gets the same gas mileage as the V6, more power and as Toyota told me, no one wants them. 

Edited by TankerHC

I too have always been a Ford guy, but I had owned examples of all domestic trucks over the years.  A few months ago I bought an '04 Tundra crew cab.  Same reasons as you, family.  I don't ever see myself going back to a domestic truck.  Mine had a little less than 130K on it but it is tight.  Way tighter than any Ford I've seen with that mileage.  I love everything about my Tundra except the gas mileage leaves a little to be desired.  But it drives great and has plenty of power, tows good to and is comfortable even in the back seat.  There is something lacking though, it just doesn't have "truck character" to me, not like my old F-150 did.  It just seems more like a car with a bed, that has its good side too though.

• Like 1
TankerHC, if your truck won't pull 4klbs something is wrong. Without looking the towing capacity of the 4.6 and 4.7 in the 2nd generation is about 8500lbs with the proper equipment. It will be the GCWR(about 13,000lbs.) minus the curb weight(4500lbs.). This gives you the actuall towing capacity. Also, your trailer should be equipped with brakes strong enough to stop the truck and trailer. The Fords F-150's I drive at work do not have built in brake controllers either.

I can hit the manual actuator on my dads truck and stop a 5,000 lbs. trailer within just a few feet from the distance I can if just hit the brakes at 55mph. Edited by Patton

here is the link to the tundra I'm  looking at. I was in the neighborhood earlier and drove by the lot where its at and slowed down to look at it, I couldn't stop because I had my 4 year old with me and its too cold out today for her to be standing around in it while I looked at the truck. It looks sharp in person. The only thing I'm  kinda turned off about is the factory Toyota wheels being painted black. That's not a huge deal though, because I could get the paint off of them, or buy some aftermarket wheels, which I probably would do anyway. The truck has Nitto Mud Grapplers on it, with what looks to be a lot of tread left. If I got the truck the next set of tires would be a good set at A/T's though. Anyway here it is.

http://www.zmotorschatt.com/2007_Toyota_Tundra_Chattanooga_TN_224486562.veh

After looking at the truck you may want to spend some extra time looking at under carriage. People don't put those kind of tires on a truck like that unless they are going to do some serious off roading. I had tires like that on my old Dodge Ram Charger except about two sizes bigger and also had 6 inch lift kit on it but I had it for some serious off road fun back in my younger days. Just be on safe side and look her over good before taking it home.............jmho

• Like 1
Guest TankerHC

TankerHC, if your truck won't pull 4klbs something is wrong. Without looking the towing capacity of the 4.6 and 4.7 in the 2nd generation is about 8500lbs with the proper equipment. It will be the GCWR(about 13,000lbs.) minus the curb weight(4500lbs.). This gives you the actuall towing capacity. Also, your trailer should be equipped with brakes strong enough to stop the truck and trailer. The Fords F-150's I drive at work do not have built in brake controllers either.

I can hit the manual actuator on my dads truck and stop a 5,000 lbs. trailer within just a few feet from the distance I can if just hit the brakes at 55mph.

Tow capacity, max to gross capacity equals weight of the vehicle, passengers, fuel, cargo and vehicle being towed. Take the curb weight and tow capacity (Crewmax, 10,000 pounds) and deduct the load weight (Maximum 1555), fuel (170 pounds) and depending on whether you have a weight distribution hitch (I do) that knocks the crewmax down to a max capacity for safety of around 6500 pounds. The small V8 Sr5 is less. My trailer weighs 10,000 pounds. Real capacity on the towing is less, not 10,100. Rated at 9800. With a fully loaded truck, with fuel and passengers, the truck weights over 10,000. Then the trailer and hitch and extras as well as what is in storage takes that over 12,000. That is over 22,000 pounds. But I can do it, because of an overly expensive weight distribution hitch. You cannot pull my trailer, safely with a small V8 SR5. 

The reason not safely, the trailer picks the front end up too high, even with the torsion bars on the hitch, you have sway and a loss of positive control, on a slick road you can end up with a trailer going one way and the truck going the other due to loss of traction and positive control on the front end. The Good Sam and Winnebago club people both say the same thing, forget what YOUR doing, your putting others on the road in danger. 

I tried it, it don't work. 

One other thing, your not going to stop, safely, 22,000 pounds of truck and trailer with the brakes that come on a stock SR5. I tried that too, it dont work either. 

One thing I forget to mention. I am not saying you cant do it. I know you can. But you cant do it safely. Your putting other people on the road lives in danger. 

Those electronic brakes. Good assist. Too little and they are about useless. Too much and your dragging your trailer down the road every time you touch the brakes. Only time they will bring that trailer to a dead stop is when that disconnect cable pulls out of the socket. Do I trust them, yes. Do I trust them in an emergency. no. 

Edited by TankerHC
Guest TankerHC

08 crewmax here. Bad gas mileage (avg 14.7) and not enough headroom for anyone over 6' with the sunroof model. I have to lean my seat back. Otherwise good.

13 Crewmax. 12 MPG, 4 - 5 MPG towing. 

i would go with a ford.  i would go with the f250 diesel.  with the diesel you get better mpg.  i get around 21 mpg with my f250 diesel driving 75 plus on the freeway.  around town i get 19 mpg.  drop a 20 foot  trailer behind the truck and i can not tell it is there.   yes i know diesel fuel is higher than gas, but i get better mileage.  my f250 get better mileage than my f150. 

Tanker, I am having a hard time understanding what you are trying to say. What is the GCWR(not the GVWR) of your truck? If it is the 5.7 it should be 15000. Take the curb weight(probably 57000lbs if 4wd) add the occupants and cargo (say 500 lbs.) and subtract that from your GCWR. This scenario it would be 8800, more if you have less cargo or you are 2wd. So yes, a 10,000 lbs trailer is too much. If you say that your truck is too light for a 10k lbs trailer I believe you. In fact I believe the 4.0 Tacomas are overrated, 6500lbs for them is way too much.
Also I am almost for certain that all 2nd generation Tundras have the same brakes, even the brochures and parts catalog indicate that they do.

My friend swapped a 4.6 F-150 for a 4.6 Tundra because the F-150 was just to weak. He seems to be pretty happy with the Tundra. He was a big Ford guy but his mechanic strongly recommended against the 5.4 in the Ford and the deal on the 4.6 Tundra was too good to pass up.
[quote name="frankmako" post="1123921" timestamp="1394679545"]i would go with a ford. i would go with the f250 diesel. with the diesel you get better mpg. i get around 21 mpg with my f250 diesel driving 75 plus on the freeway. around town i get 19 mpg. drop a 20 foot trailer behind the truck and i can not tell it is there. yes i know diesel fuel is higher than gas, but i get better mileage. my f250 get better mileage than my f150. [/quote] Have you got the famed 7.3 diesel, the 6.0, or the newer 6.4? The 6.0 diesel they have had a ton of problems out of with heads warping or something like that. I know it involves the heads in some way. In a lot of f250 ads that have the 6.0 they will state that an egr delete and arp head studs have been put in, which solves the problem i guess
  • Like 1