buying a truck, need advice

I have owned a pick up truck all my adult life buying my first one while a senior in High School and have owned a truck of some type ever since. Own one now but seldom drive it ad really don't know why I even insure it except for a time that my Jeep Cherokee may be in the shop and need to go to the lake with the boat to go fishing. I also will loan it to friends that may need to haul something if their truck is in the shop. It's nothing special. 1990 GMC 1500 Sierra with 4.3 Lt motor that gets great gas mileage with auto trans. Truck has 170,000 miles on it. 

Oh, I just figured that was attached to the "manly" part.

We also towed a fair bit with out 3.8L Windstar but that felt the drag a lot more than the Jetta and I think it may have contributed to the blown head gasket. Which is a little worrying as I believe it had the same engine as the F150 (?)

just because I have been known to wear a skirt does not mean I don't do it in a manly way.  ;)

My truck has a 3.7 v6, 300 hp.  Gets right at 19 mpg as a daily driver.  My old truck was a 4.2 v6 and got about 14 mpg with a good tail wind.  Now the more I drive, with gas savings I can pay for the newer truck.

Yep, my truck has nothing to do with penis size or aesthetics; it's all about functionality. I'll probably be driving a rice burner again if I ever go back to commuting, but I'll never get rid of my truck. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nice truck and looks to be in great shape. If you need to lock up stuff get one of these.  

http://www.consolevault.com/toyota-tundra-floor-console-2007-2011.html

If you want to add satellite or bluetooth streaming you can dice media bridge which interfaces with the factory stereo and works pretty well. 

Thanks and thanks for the info! The truck is in great shape. Whoever had it before me took really good care of it it seems, thankfully.

thanks. When I was looking around for this truck, I looked at a couple crew cab frontiers. Definitely more room than I had in my f150, but I was stuck on a full size. They are nice trucks though, the frontier crew cabs.

You're going to like the truck. Here are a few things I have learned:

1. The center console slides forward to be a better armrest. Grasp the handle like you're going to open it, and just slide it forward. Voila!

2. The mode button on the steering wheel will turn the radio/head unit on/off by holding it down.

3. There is a map holder under the center console. 

4. There is a cover for the long hole next to the cup holders under the center console. Drop enough stuff down there and have to remove the cup holders to get to it, and you'll probably leave it on there like I do.

5. As referenced in #4, you can remove the cup holders. Just pull straight up.

6. Don't try to do anything like setting a destination in the GPS or pairing with Bluetooth while driving. It's disabled because obviously a passenger couldn't possibly do any of those things. Thank you Toyota for protecting me from myself.

7. It's been mentioned before, but the rear seats slide forward and recline. This gives you a bit of extra room behind the rear seats for storage if you need it.

8. There is a 115v two-prong electrical outlet in the back, but you have to turn it on in the front using a button on the dash to the right of the steering wheel.

There's probably a few more useful tips that I can't think of right now. Enjoy your truck. I know you will. 

[quote name="LagerHead" post="1125782" timestamp="1395066414"]You're going to like the truck. Here are a few things I have learned: 1. The center console slides forward to be a better armrest. Grasp the handle like you're going to open it, and just slide it forward. Voila! 2. The mode button on the steering wheel will turn the radio/head unit on/off by holding it down. 3. There is a map holder under the center console. 4. There is a cover for the long hole next to the cup holders under the center console. Drop enough stuff down there and have to remove the cup holders to get to it, and you'll probably leave it on there like I do. 5. As referenced in #4, you can remove the cup holders. Just pull straight up. 6. Don't try to do anything like setting a destination in the GPS or pairing with Bluetooth while driving. It's disabled because obviously a passenger couldn't possibly do any of those things. Thank you Toyota for protecting me from myself. 7. It's been mentioned before, but the rear seats slide forward and recline. This gives you a bit of extra room behind the rear seats for storage if you need it. 8. There is a 115v two-prong electrical outlet in the back, but you have to turn it on in the front using a button on the dash to the right of the steering wheel. There's probably a few more useful tips that I can't think of right now. Enjoy your truck. I know you will. [/quote] Cool, thanks for all the tips! Im really liking the truck so far and am happy with my decision to say the least. I cant get over how much room is in the back! It has more room in the back than a lot of sedans.
Guest TankerHC

Wonder why Toyota puts vin number on all the windows? Ive never noticed it before

Security. My insurance company gives a discount for etched windows. Always have. Even back in 88 when I bought a new Chrysler i had the windows etched to get the discount.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2
[quote name="TankerHC" post="1126410" timestamp="1395162407"]Security. My insurance company gives a discount for etched windows. Always have. Even back in 88 when I bought a new Chrysler i had the windows etched to get the discount. Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2[/quote] Something i need to look into, thanks!

here in Knox, once a year the local sheriff runs a program where you can show up and get the windows etched.  The theory is that the glass then is no longer viable to a chop shop.

(like a chop shop would care about a mismatched vin on a stolen vehicle)

Guest TankerHC

Yep!

9a4a2e5a.jpgtagy4egy.jpg

Nice truck! (Looks familiar), might not have all of the whiz bang gadgets that Ford has, but the SOB will pull anything, just about. 

[quote name="TankerHC" post="1126830" timestamp="1395218313"]Nice truck! (Looks familiar), might not have all of the whiz bang gadgets that Ford has, but the SOB will pull anything, just about. [/quote] Thanks! Its a HUGE step up from my stripped down f150. As good of a truck as it was, this one far surpasses it. I told my wife its sad that i think im living good now because I have power windows and locks, and cruise control haha. I bought the truck on Saturday, and didnt even find out till Monday night it has a power sliding rear window too. And talk about storage. Im STILL finding storage compartments all over the truck! Needless to say im very happy with it, haven't found a single thing wrong with it yet.
  • 4 weeks later...

I like your truck, I want it!!

I'm thinking about a Tundra also. Basically the same thing you have. What year model is it and which engine, miles? Do you still like it, has anything unexpected turned up? And the big question, not to be nosy, but can you share a ball park price for such a fine machine? 

I've been looking. Had hoped to stay in the $16K range or less, but doesn't look like that will be possible on a '07 or '08