Discounts for C&R License Holders

Apologies in advance if there's an up to date thread here that I've missed in my searches. 

I've searched the interwebz for lists of e-tailers that offer discounts / dealer pricing to C&R license holders but haven't found anything that looks reasonably up to date (mostly circa '06-'07).  I've taken from the tone of a few posts here that fewer companies offer such a discount than in the past.  Specifically seem to remember mention that Midway no longer does so.

I've contacted Brownells and was told that they do offer such discounts.

Anyone else?

MA

Midway stopped at the first of this year but Brownell's still discounts for C&R. Make sure you have an account already set up and email a signed copy to Rebecca.osterloh@brownells.com. Include your contact info and username, and that should get you set up. Most parts are discounted, but some speciality items are not - like a Geissele trigger that I just bought, regular price on that. Brownells almost always has a $10 off $150 coupon that you can use too.

I didn't know about Graf's. I'll look into that since I need to order some Dillon parts.

I guess I don't see what's in it for a retailer to offer a discount for this in the first place? Perhaps if you're about the only one doing it, you figure you'd get a larger proportion of that demographic than other retailers, maybe?

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

I guess I don't see what's in it for a retailer to offer a discount for this in the first place? Perhaps if you're about the only one doing it, you figure you'd get a larger proportion of that demographic than other retailers, maybe?

- OS

In the past many retailers lumped C&R FFL's in with regular FFL's and offered the same discounts.   Kinda like a professional courtesy I guess...your LGS does not always call up some wholesaler to provide all their inventory, they buy it from places like Midway, PSA, etc., etc.

• Like 1
[quote name="quickbiscuit" post="1123930" timestamp="1394681357"]Midway stopped at the first of this year but Brownell's still discounts for C&R. Make sure you have an account already set up and email a signed copy to Rebecca.osterloh@brownells.com. Include your contact info and username, and that should get you set up. Most parts are discounted, but some speciality items are not - like a Geissele trigger that I just bought, regular price on that. Brownells almost always has a $10 off $150 coupon that you can use too. I didn't know about Graf's. I'll look into that since I need to order some Dillon parts.[/quote] Google Brian Enos as well... http://www.brianenos.com/store/home.html His prices are sometimes better, but I can often save money on his shipping method vs Dillon's shipping. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Google Brian Enos as well...

http://www.brianenos.com/store/home.html

His prices are sometimes better, but I can often save money on his shipping method vs Dillon's shipping.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Brian's a heckuva guy! That site he has put together is an amazing resource for Dillon reloaders. I bought my 650 from him. I'll order my caliber conversions from him if I can't get a better deal from Grafs with the C&R discount.

- OS

I think it's probably a competitive advantage issue in general.  If you're the only one that does it, you have an advantage.  If everyone else does it, maybe you have to as well to keep up.  I'd suspect as a group C&R holders probably spend more than non-licensees, making them an attractive demographic.

I suspect most of the discounts are fairly small but human behavior is such a funny thing.  Small courtesies sometimes affect us disproportionally.  If you look at most of the retail loyalty programs and crunch the numbers the payout is usually nominal.  You spend how much in groceries to save a few cents per gallon of gas.  I suspect the retailers come out way ahead given the effect it has in training the consumer.  The ultimate example had to be the old "green stamps."  For those of you under 40, if memory serves me, retailers (mostly grocery stores) gave out little stamps you collected in books that you could trade in for merchandise at the redemption center.  I bet if you could crunch the return on those it must have been in the tenths of a percent. 

Contacted Southern Ohio Gun and was told that they accept C&R licenses and that all their pricing is dealer pricing.  They do sell non-C&R firearms as well and of course you can't purchase those with your C&R.

Thanks for the responses.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

Graf's booted me off my dealer account a couple of years ago because I didn't spend over $2K per year with them.

I still use my Brownell's dealer account frequently and can still use the discount coupons with it.

ETA: Haven't bought a C&R firearm in a few years though.  I haven't seen much new being imported.

Edited by mike_f
Added noted text.
7 hours ago, mike_f said:

Graf's booted me off my dealer account a couple of years ago because I didn't spend over $2K per year with them.

I still use my Brownell's dealer account frequently and can still use the discount coupons with it.

ETA: Haven't bought a C&R firearm in a few years though.  I haven't seen much new being imported.

The days of "much" being imported are over.  There are some occasional shipments trickling in, mostly from private sales overseas to locators for bonded importers, they make a lot of treks around Europe seeking out old milsurps for sale on the private market and when they have enough stockpiled to make a shipment, they send them over.  Apparently a very small shipment of Mosins made it in from Ukraine last year, and a few similar rifles from the former Yugoslavia states and Albania have also made it over in the last 2 or 3 years, but it's a tiny trickle, at best ...

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 7/22/2019 at 12:04 AM, No_0ne said:

The days of "much" being imported are over.  There are some occasional shipments trickling in, mostly from private sales overseas to locators for bonded importers, they make a lot of treks around Europe seeking out old milsurps for sale on the private market and when they have enough stockpiled to make a shipment, they send them over.  Apparently a very small shipment of Mosins made it in from Ukraine last year, and a few similar rifles from the former Yugoslavia states and Albania have also made it over in the last 2 or 3 years, but it's a tiny trickle, at best ...

That’s why I let my C&R license lapse...just wasn’t enough use for it anymore. 

• Like 1
On 8/18/2019 at 9:45 AM, LCPfraTN said:

That’s why I let my C&R license lapse...just wasn’t enough use for it anymore. 

There's still plenty of opportunities to use a C&R, but it's in the secondary markets now.  There are a lot of collectors out there buying many guns per year off their 03 license ...

18 minutes ago, No_0ne said:

There's still plenty of opportunities to use a C&R, but it's in the secondary markets now.  There are a lot of collectors out there buying many guns per year off their 03 license ...

Oh, I’m fully aware of that, but I got most of the C&R guns that I wanted through the surplus market years ago. The prices in the secondary market have gotten pricey, and many sellers don’t want to accept C&R licenses, so they force you to go through an FFL in order to buy from them anyway. I just got tired of messing with the hassle of it given the few purchases that I made after my last renewal, so I decided it was easier for me to just let my C&R license lapse. There’s not much that I want that I don’t already have that is C&R eligible, and if I find something from a local individual, I don’t have to worry about any of it (currently) in a face to face transfer between TN residents.  

• Like 2
  • 5 weeks later...
On 7/21/2019 at 4:35 PM, mike_f said:

Brownell's is the only place I know still offering a C&R discount... but discounted Brownell's prices = regular retail prices everywhere else.

I have a C&R still but I probably wouldn't miss it if I let it lapse.  I don't have much interest in C&Rs anymore and (aside from mail order), I've only ever had one regular FFL know what a C&R FFL was and sell to me.