Anyone know a good, reliable source for fish mox, etc.?

Like the thread title says, I am looking for a good, reliable, trustworthy source for nonprescription fish mox (aquatic pet amoxicillin) and perhaps similar items.  I keep reading how they are available in pet stores but have checked all the pet stores of which I am aware in this area and have yet to find any.  Anyone know where I could find some locally (Knoxville area) or a good, reputable site for ordering online?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Lester Weevils

A few years ago I bought several different types from Lambert Vet Supply. The bottles appeared to be re-labeled human pharmaceuticals, same dose, brand name on the pills, etc. Each bottle had an expiration date printed on it, a couple of years past the purchase date. They went out of date and were discarded and I haven't re-stocked yet.

Dunno if these things come from "out of date for human use" stock and get re-labeled for fish, with a new expiration date-- Or if they get turned over from human pharmaceutical stock ahead of the expiration date, or what.

I think a wise person MIGHT keep some for SHTF, but not take them except in the sad unusual circumstances that a doctor is not available. The added risk of self-diagnosed use of the pills, IMO, is not worth the money saved on a doctor visit.

Have used em on pets before, would go to the vet and sometimes the vet would say it was OK to use the pills I had rather than buying the pills from the vet. That vet was an aged country vet, who has since retired. Dunno if the current vet I use would offer the same opinion.

Another thing might be to google prescribing/use info for the various antibiotics, and print off the data to keep with the bottles in case of SHTF. So after the comet hits and civilization has ceased, if somebody happens to get pneumonia or a flesh infection or dysentery or whatever, the data sheets could be studied to try to guestimate the best med and dose to try.

http://www.lambertvetsupply.com/Antibiotics_c_25.html

A few years ago I bought several different types from Lambert Vet Supply. The bottles appeared to be re-labeled human pharmaceuticals, same dose, brand name on the pills, etc. Each bottle had an expiration date printed on it, a couple of years past the purchase date. They went out of date and were discarded and I haven't re-stocked yet.

Dunno if these things come from "out of date for human use" stock and get re-labeled for fish, with a new expiration date-- Or if they get turned over from human pharmaceutical stock ahead of the expiration date, or what.

I think a wise person MIGHT keep some for SHTF, but not take them except in the sad unusual circumstances that a doctor is not available. The added risk of self-diagnosed use of the pills, IMO, is not worth the money saved on a doctor visit.

Have used em on pets before, would go to the vet and sometimes the vet would say it was OK to use the pills I had rather than buying the pills from the vet. That vet was an aged country vet, who has since retired. Dunno if the current vet I use would offer the same opinion.

Another thing might be to google prescribing/use info for the various antibiotics, and print off the data to keep with the bottles in case of SHTF. So after the comet hits and civilization has ceased, if somebody happens to get pneumonia or a flesh infection or dysentery or whatever, the data sheets could be studied to try to guestimate the best med and dose to try.

http://www.lambertvetsupply.com/Antibiotics_c_25.html

If you're prepping enough to have reasonably wide stock of meds you should really buy a used PDR to stick with them. They are cheap a year out of date and I doubt any of the new meds that are added each year will be what ones that you have access to post SHTF.(You should be stocking common time tested meds) Post SHTF PDRs are a much more reliable resource for medication indications, interactions, and dosing than some pages off the internet. (some websites are fine for medical information, but I've found a few that have GLARING omissions or downright incorrect information.)

Used PDRs around $10 on amazon

Edited by 2.ooohhh

Thanks to everyone for the replies and suggestions.

That is largely what I am thinking.  Also, I am specifically thinking about amoxicillin because - based on some research I have done - it is one of the 'milder' antibiotics but is still a pretty solid choice.  From what I can find, it might not be quite as effective as some of the stronger stuff but it is also very unlikely to have risks associated with taking it (beyond overuse resulting in resistant strains of bacteria, of course.)  Amoxicillin is what I have been prescribed by dentists in the past as a precaution to take before certain dental procedures.

Guest Lester Weevils

I'm completely ignorant of the topic, but if one wanted to keep several around "just in case of the end of the world", metronidazole might ought to be in the list. It is a rather old drug, but will work on some of the mundane stuff, and there are some thangs metronidazole will kill that the other common ones won't touch at all.

I was recently having a discussion with my Medical Director on medication shelf life. Money is tight everywhere my friends...

This is in no way medical advice, and merely posted for informational purposes. I am not a midlevel practitioner, just a grunt in the machine. But I have worked in this field for 41 years and have therefore developed some opinions and have some observations. Please consult someone that knows what the hell they are talking about...that obviously isn't me... :cool:

Taking the wrong antibiotic for the wrong infection can be worse than you can imagine.

The recommendation for a PDR is a sound one.

You may also want to consider getting a Tarason Guide or a Sanford Guide. (links below).

Antibiotics and most all non-liquid medications will still be viable for many years after their expiration date.

I had, but no longer have, the pdf to the S.L.E.P. or Shelf Life Extension Program performed by .gov to stem the waste of medications being tossed after their "best by" date, their expiration date, given by the FDA and Big Pharma. Face it, there is no profit without selling... Heck, even Quick Clot (an inert substance) has an expiration date since it carries FDA aproval.

imho, if a medication is protected from light, heat (temperature extremes), and oxygen, it can remain viable for an extended period of time...just like food can.

Please examine the links below and make your own determination as to what you need to do.

Also please consider that medication allergies can range for annoying to deadly.

Make a plan ahead of time. Consult a knowledgeable provider. Know what medication for what ailment.

Also know that if you start an appropriate antibiotic for it's targeted microbe, you must take it for the completed prescribed time frame or you simply encourage antibiotic resistant microbes that that can be a bear to treat.

Be safe.

To Quote RESQDOC "Do No Harm, Do Know Harm".

http://www.amazon.com/Tarascon-Pocket-Pharmacopoeia-Lab-Coat-Edition/dp/1284026841/ref=pd_sim_b_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=0NKYK2NM9KB49NDKBFDD

http://www.amazon.com/Sanford-Guide-Antimicrobial-Therapy-Guides/dp/1930808747

http://www.survivalblog.com/2010/07/a_doctors_thoughts_on_antibiot.html

http://www.usamma.amedd.army.mil/dod_slep.cfm

http://www.ofcaems.org/ds-Stability_Profiles.pdf

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/EmergencyPreparedness/Counterterrorism/UCM253309.pdf

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2000/04/02/drug-expiration-part-one.aspx

Guest theconstitutionrocks

I did get some from a vet online order once (will have to go look up the company), no problem ordering. 

Also, I posted this before (and got flamed for it), but there is a company (Alaska?) called medcall assist (www.medcallassist.com). These guys operate a telemedicine service designed primarily for fishing/back country emergencies. You do have to register, and there is an annual fee ($125 last I checked), but they can supply you with a kit which you can tailor (or order what you want/need although no narcotics, which is a good thing). The plan is that you now have this stuff and if you can't/don't want to go to the ER you can call them and their physician will work with you over the phone to diagnose/treat the issue.

OK, yeah, I know...."playing doctor" (ducking the sabot rounds) but if you want script stuff this is a good way to do it. 

FWIW, I order just to have my own kit ready to go. I stay within the limits of my training/skill set, and don't order things I don't know how to use.