Steel Guide Rods... Have you ever broken a plastic one???

Guest mechanically

Guest mechanically

I just wondered if there was anyone in the TGO universe who has ever lost function on a handgun due to a failed factory guide rod?

I was thinking about adding one to my latest trigger job, but then realized that I don't think I've ever heard of one failing.

Convince me to spend more money!

[quote name="mechanically" post="1124473" timestamp="1394801989"]I just wondered if there was anyone in the TGO universe who has ever lost function on a handgun due to a failed factory guide rod? I was thinking about adding one to my latest trigger job, but then realized that I don't think I've ever heard of one failing. Convince me to spend more money![/quote] Had the guide rod in a Gen II Glock 19 practically disintegrate. Granted, it had not been well maintained or stored, but nonetheless, the weapon ceased to function. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Watched a video of a Glock that melted it's rod in a 1000 round torture test. Firing as fast as mags could be inserted. Rod melted at around 800 rounds with the gun too hot to touch with bare hands. The gun did not malfunction and ran the rest of the test with no guide rod.

Just a few weeks ago the guide rod in my Walther PPS 9mm split on one end. I began to clean it after I got home from the range and as I went to take it out - zing - it all went to pieces. Like I said, the end had split. Functioned fine at the range. I replaced it with one from BT guide rods. I have only fired about 25 rounds since. Will fire more later before I return it to carry duty.

G19.....I was like the 20th owner. No clue on the service of this pistol but it had a hard life before I got it. After convincing my dad to loose the revolver and try a Glock at the range, something broke and binded, locking the slide back. After some disassembly and light pounding the guide rod came out in 3 main pieces and multiple small pieces with a 2 piece recoil spring. Can't say what broke first causing the other to break but like I said, this was a beat up wore out glock. Replaced broken stuff with new factory stuff and she ran like a champ. Sold it on down the road after another few 100rnds through it.

Parts break, plastic or metal, so do what you want but have spare parts available if something does break. That's my advise. 

Guest mechanically

that must mean cz's are subpar because my 75b's both have plastic guide rods

My CZ is actually what prompted me to ask the question...

I think captured recoil springs, al la Glock, are probably a different system anyway.

What the h3ll comes with a plastic guide rod?

Besides the Glocks and CZs mentioned, Berettas (including military issue M9)

Oh yeah, AR-15 has partially plastic "guide rod" (buffer, which does mostly same thing)

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
[quote name="Oh Shoot" post="1124845" timestamp="1394858025"]Besides the Glocks and CZs mentioned, Berettas (including military issue M9) - OS[/quote] I've seen a few, but I've never been issued a M9 with a plastic guide rod. I've had at least a dozen different ones during my time in. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Besides the Glocks and CZs mentioned, Berettas (including military issue M9)

I think the U.S. built Military M9's have steel guide rods.

My M&P’s have steel, but I‘ve seen people wanting to change them to tungsten. Some people will buy anything. biggrin.gif

I have not had one fail yet. I've not personally seen one fail.

From my understanding, the reason for a plastic guide rod was for cost and weight.

Plastic is cheaper and weighs less than metal. Not only that but since a lot of Guide rods and recoil springs are recommened replacement parts

at some number of rounds. So it being plastic not a real issue if you preform the "routine maintenance" suggested by the manufacturer.

At least not for me it isn't.

On a side note: I believe the Gen4 Glocks have gone to metal guide rods.

But I think this was due to the design rather than it being a plastic issue. The plastic rod was a one piece.

The new Gen4 is a Dual Spring setup.

Guest Lester Weevils
I read up on the plastic guide rod issue a bit a few years ago. Can't recall details, but came across opinions that some of the migration to plastic rods such as in beretta 92 might have been as much design improvement as cost savings.

Also, some plastic guns, it was said that replacing with steel guide rods would be counter productive, because a metal guide rod could chew up points of contact between the steel guide rod and the plastic frame, eventually damaging the gun. Edited by Lester Weevils
[quote name="TnShooter83" post="1124977" timestamp="1394902754"] Plastic is cheaper and weighs less than metal. Not only that but since a lot of Guide rods and recoil springs are recommened replacement parts at some number of rounds. So it being plastic not a real issue if you preform the "routine maintenance" suggested by the manufacturer. [/quote] I would agree, and that is after having a plastic guide rod disintegrate in my hands during disassembly. This was on a Gen 2 that was likely used as a hammer at some point or to prop up an uneven table. 2 of my pistols have plastic rods in them, and I don't intend to change them out any time soon. I do believe, however, over time this is something that should be replaced if a person shoots a lot or leaves their pistol in their truck where there are extreme temperature changes. For most, though, if your pistol wasnt tied to the bumper of a jeep and drug through the woods for 30 miles, you're probably okay. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk