Chainsaw/small engine woes

tnguy

Definitely not the case. Don't even have the chain on right now.

Well, now wait a second.  Is the side plate and safety brake on the saw?  The brake usually grabs the clutch, the chain need not be present for that to work.  

• Like 1
Guest Lowbuster

Thought mine was messed up last fall. Turns out the handguard was in the full forward position. After about an hour of pulling on the rope I happened to hit the handguard back into the right position and she fired right up. Made me feel very dumb :/

I've done this too
Guest Bonedaddy

Mine is bad about flooding real easy which can make it a b90th to start but here's somethin' my small engine repair dude showed me and a lot of people won't notice and that's the damn mud dobbers will build a nest deep inside the muffler and block all air flow keeping them from starting. Screwdriver poked around in there might tell ya or ya may have to take it off and soak it a while to see. And make sure your carb diaphragm is in good workin' order. I've had my ol' Homelite 240 for 17 years and don't know how long my dad had it before he died and it always starts as long as I put Stabil in the fuel and it's always ethanol fuel. I did have to put a new ignition module on it several years back, though. Since then, no problemo.

Here is what I do. I spray CARB CLEANER directly in the cylinder through the spark plug hole.

It will either start or not start.

If it starts it's a fuel issue.

If it does not start it's a spark issue.

If it is a spark I pull the plug and ground it to a GOOD ground and look for a spark.

It needs to be hitting consistently and fairly bright. If that doesn't help I move to the magneto.

I regap and clean it. I use 600 grit sand paper.

If that doesn't help I resort to throwing thing and saying bad words.

Sometimes, but rarely this seems to help...lmao.

If it's a fuel issue, I pull the carb and clean it.

Pull the jets and make note of how far any jet or air screws are turned in.

COUNT THE NUMBER OF TURNS IT TAKES TO REMOVE THEM.

REINSTALL WITH THE SAME AMOUNT OF TURNS. DO NOT GO FURTHER.

This will usually get it running. You can fine tune later.

You need a piece of wire to stick in the small port and venturies .

Just find some electrical wire and strip it until you find the size you need.

Then spray all the ports and hole you can see and get to. Wear safety glasses and keep your mouth closed.

You will get wet doing this.

Alternatively soaking the whole carb and all it's part are better, but it takes longer and can damage plastic parts.

So be careful. I'm just "cheap" and don't want to spend $30 on a can of cleaner. Not unless I have too.

The $4.00 can of Carb Cleaner usually does fine for small carbs.

I generally do the same thing.  And a big +1 to the safety glasses....  You never know where that jet of carb cleaner might come squirting out from, and a face full of carb cleaner sucks.  AMHIK....

I generally do the same thing.  And a big +1 to the safety glasses....  You never know where that jet of carb cleaner might come squirting out from, and a face full of carb cleaner sucks.  AMHIK....

It DOES burn the eyes. That isn't second hand knowledge.

Pull a piece of bristle out of a wire brush and hold it with hemostats. The wire is stiffer than electric wire and works better. Bending a 90 in the end of one is handy too. I keep a straight and a bent one all the time for cleaning carbs.

Pull a piece of bristle out of a wire brush and hold it with hemostats. The wire is stiffer than electric wire and works better. Bending a 90 in the end of one is handy too. I keep a straight and a bent one all the time for cleaning carbs.

The wire from a twist-tie works as well.  But be careful as some jets are quite delicate and simply passing a wire through the hole can change their size enough to affect performance. 

• Like 1
Well, pulled it out of the box today. No choke, no priming, no gas. Started first pull and ran for all off about 2 seconds. That puts it firmly in the fuel supply in my book. I have a carb kit so hopefully I'll get to that later (it's too nice a day to spend fixing chainsaws).