URGENT - Permit-less Car Carry in the Senate Tomorrow

Just saw this on an NRA update and was surprised it hadn't made it on here yet.  This is a critically needed bill for those of us who are not 21 yet, and therefore cannot get a HCP.  Its asinine that I live on my own, work and go to school full time, pay taxes, and can own a handgun, but can't keep it in my car to protect myself driving through not-so-great areas of town after midnight just to get home.  

Please contact those on the Senate Judiciary Committee and urge them to support SB 1774.  I feel this has a great chance to pass compared to the "Constitutional Carry" bills in legislature currently.   With only two D's, I see this passing through and onto the floor for a vote, and have little reservation that Haslam wouldn't sign this.  

Here's a list of those on the Committee, any emails or early morning phone calls would be GREATLY appreciated, especially by the younger community. 

Senate Judiciary Committee (SB 2031, SB 1672, SB 1774, SB 1612):

Senator Brian Kelsey (R-31), Chairman
(615) 741-3036
Sen.brian.kelsey@capitol.tn.gov

Senator Doug Overbey (R-2)
(615) 741-0981
Sen.doug.overbey@capitol.tn.gov

Senator Stacey Campfield (R-7)
(615) 741-1766
Sen.stacey.campfield@capitol.tn.gov

Senator Mike Bell (R-9)
(615) 741-1946
Sen.mike.bell@capitol.tn.gov

Senator Lowe Finney (D-27)
(615) 741-1810
Sen.lowe.finney@capitol.tn.gov

Senator Ophelia Ford (D-28)
(615) 741-1767
Sen.ophelia.ford@capitol.tn.gov

Senator Todd Gardenhire (R-10)
(615) 741-6682
Sen.todd.gardenhire@capitol.tn.gov

Senator Mark Green (R-22)
(615) 741-2374
Sen.mark.green@capitol.tn.gov

Senator John Stevens (R-24)
(615) 741-4576
Sen.john.stevens@capitol.tn.go

http://www.nraila.org/legislation/state-legislation/2014/3/tennessee-pro-gun-bills-to-receive-committee-hearings-this-week.aspx

EDIT - The Corresponding House Bill HB1480 will be heard Wednesday the 19th.  

House Civil Justice Subcommittee (HB 1399, HB 1400, HB 1480):

Representative Jim Coley (R-97), Chairman
(615) 741-8201
Rep.jim.coley@capitol.tn.gov

Representative Jon Lundberg (R-1)
(615) 741-7623
Rep.jon.lundberg@capitol.tn.gov

Representative Rick Womick (R-34)
(615) 741-2804
Rep.rick.womick@capitol.tn.gov

Representative Mike Carter (R-29)
(615) 741-3025
Rep.mike.carter@capitol.tn.gov

Representative John J. DeBerry JR. (D-90)
(615) 741-2239
Rep.john.deberry@capitol.tn.gov

Representative Vance Dennis (R-71)
(615) 741-2190
Rep.vance.dennis@capitol.tn.gov

Representative Andrew Farmer (R-17)
(615) 741-4419
Rep.andrew.farmer@capitol.tn.gov

Representative Andrew Farmer (R-17)
(615) 741-4419
Rep.andrew.farmer@capitol.tn.gov

Representative Sherry Jones (D-59)
(615) 741-2035
Rep.sherry.jones@capitol.tn.gov

Representative Mike Stewart (D-52)
(615) 741-2184
Rep.mike.stewart@capitol.tn.gov

Edited by wk05

First I've heard of it too:

"SB 1774

Tennessee Senate Bill

Firearms and Ammunition - As introduced, creates an exception to the offense of carrying a firearm in public without a handgun carry permit that the person is not otherwise prohibited from carrying a firearm and is carrying the firearm in a privately-owned motor vehicle. - Amends TCA Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13."

- OS

I was fairly surprised to see that if flew under the radar here as it was filed in early January.  However, Im assuming that 99% of the members here have an HCP so this is not necessarily "relevant" to them "directly".  

"SB 1774

Tennessee Senate Bill

Firearms and Ammunition - As introduced, creates an exception to the offense of carrying a firearm in public without a handgun carry permit that the person is not otherwise prohibited from carrying a firearm and is carrying the firearm in a privately-owned motor vehicle. - Amends TCA Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13."

- OS

So it essentially makes vehicle carry w/o a permit legal for those 18 and above?

I really don't see how this has any more chance of passing than any of the other firearm related bills this session.

It certainly won't hurt to contact the above folks as well as your own senators/reps (if yours isn't already among those listed above) but the problem...the roadblock is Haslam, Harwell and Ramsey...any bills they don't want to reach the floor for a vote won't; they'll get regulated to a committee, sent to "summer study" or killed with a fiscal note.

Notice the NRA did not mention:

HB 2145/SB 1607 by Weaver/Beavers, Firearms and Ammunition - As introduced, expands and amends the Tennessee Firearms Freedom Act to limit federal actions in this state; creates an offense to knowingly enforce or attempt to enforce any federal enactment or enforcement action punishable as a Class A misdemeanor or Class C felony for subsequent offenses; revises other provisions related to violations and liabilities.

HB 1667/SB1733 by Pody/Beavers, Firearms and Ammunition - As introduced, protects the right of a person to transport and store a firearm or firearm ammunition in a privately owned vehicle; prevents any owner, lessee or manager of real property from taking adverse action against a person transporting or storing a firearm or ammunition; creates a civil cause of action for damages.

Edited by Worriedman

I really don't see how this has any more chance of passing than any of the other firearm related bills this session.

It certainly won't hurt to contact the above folks as well as your own senators/reps (if yours isn't already among those listed above) but the problem...the roadblock is Haslam, Harwell and Ramsey...any bills they don't want to reach the floor for a vote won't; they'll get regulated to a committee, sent to "summer study" or killed with a fiscal note.

I don't think Haslam will be as much the issue as Ramsey - Haslam "said" (key word here) that he would sign the permit less/constitutional carry pending in legislation. I personally don't think car carry would be a big issue with him. Especially considering the pro-2A safe haven TN is being made out to be and current political climate.

"SB 1774

Tennessee Senate Bill

- OS

The only problem I see is the way it reads in oh Shoots post, it says not otherwise prohibited from carrying. I can see anti gun cities claiming someone under 21 is prohibited from carrying a weapon and trying to ban them from doing so.
  • Like 1

I don't think Haslam will be as much the issue as Ramsey - Haslam "said" (key word here) that he would sign the permit less/constitutional carry pending in legislation. I personally don't think car carry would be a big issue with him. Especially considering the pro-2A safe haven TN is being made out to be and current political climate.

Of course he did...I was at the TFA meeting when he said it. But I don't believe it because he and his Dark Side cohorts are not going to let any bill reach his desk that he doesn't want to sigh (whether it's "firearms related" or not). So...it's easy to make promises to do something when you'll never have to do it. :)

• Like 2

The only problem I see is the way it reads in oh Shoots post, it says not otherwise prohibited from carrying. I can see anti gun cities claiming someone under 21 is prohibited from carrying a weapon and trying to ban them from doing so.

Yep. With all the frigging lawyers on the frigging hill in Nashville, why can't these friggers write a frigging bill that doesn't have some huge frigging gray area in it?

"adult person not prohibited from owning a firearm by state or federal law" would of course do it, assuming they want to exclude minors  So give me my frigging honorary JD already.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

Yep. With all the frigging lawyers on the frigging hill in Nashville, why can't these friggers write a frigging bill that doesn't have some huge frigging gray area in it?

"adult person not prohibited from owning a firearm by state or federal law" would of course do it, assuming they want to exclude minors  So give me my frigging honorary JD already.

- OS

Because then it would be far to easy to make your case and why would you need a lawyer? It's self protection at it's best. I would love to ban lawyers and bankers from politics. If we did, it would be an actually honest ballgame.

• Like 1

- OS

It is what lawyers do, if they wrote simple to understand laws, they could not charge as much for their services, and believe me, they charge for their services...

• Like 1

Based upon how they self report their occupations (there may be a few closet JDs out there), there are I believe 9 reps and 6 senators who are attorneys.  (If I've missed one or two, mea culpa  but I'm pretty close.)  That's 15 out of 132.  Significant no doubt but not at all an overwhelming number considering how many other industries are represented in equal or greater numbers.  Ever count how many business owners there are?  Bankers?  My bet would be on insurance agent as the number one occupation.

I'd suggest that one of the problems has been that their weren't enough lawyers in the legislature at times.  I'm not suggesting that non-attorneys aren't capable of understanding the process nor that all attorneys are the best and brightest.  I would say that blaming "all the lawyers" is a bit of an over simplification.  

Edited by Mike A

I was fairly surprised to see that if flew under the radar here as it was filed in early January.  However, Im assuming that 99% of the members here have an HCP so this is not necessarily "relevant" to them "directly".

We all have friends and family members without HCPs

(Though there may be one or two exceptions)

Based upon how they self report their occupations (there may be a few closet JDs out there), there are I believe 9 reps and 6 senators who are attorneys.  (If I've missed one or two, mea culpa  but I'm pretty close.)  That's 15 out of 132.  Significant no doubt but not at all an overwhelming number considering how many other industries are represented in equal or greater numbers.  Ever count how many business owners there are?  Bankers?  My bet would be on insurance agent as the number one occupation.

I'd suggest that one of the problems has been that their weren't enough lawyers in the legislature at times.  I'm not suggesting that non-attorneys aren't capable of understanding the process nor that all attorneys are the best and brightest.  I would say that blaming "all the lawyers" is a bit of an over simplification.  

Five of the 9 members of the Senate Judiciary Committee are lawyers, they may not be an overreaching majority in the legislature, but they are predominant in the Senate Judiciary Committee.

http://wapp.capitol.tn.gov/apps/billinfo/BillSummaryArchive.aspx?BillNumber=SB1774&ga=108

Agrees on the poor wording of the bill. I'm probably the only one on this board (besides Mr. Cain), that hopes to be an attorney :/ However, after reading the above, "TO ME" the intent was to allow car carry like GA has, as noted in the last paragraph of text.

"This bill replaces the exceptions described in (1) and (2) with a general exception to the prohibition against carrying a weapon with the intent to go armed so that a person carrying or possessing a firearm in a motor vehicle will not commit an offense if:
(1) The person is not otherwise prohibited from carrying OR POSESSING a firearm; and
(2) The motor vehicle is privately-owned."

Five of the 9 members of the Senate Judiciary Committee are lawyers, they may not be an overreaching majority in the legislature, but they are predominant in the Senate Judiciary Committee.

I was not aware of that but it does not surprise me.  I suspect that most of the members of the legislature are probably assigned to committees related to their occupations or experience.  I agree that the attorneys have a disproportionate effect on the matters handled by that committee.

And to make the point, 4 of the 5 attorneys just voted to kill Beavers' Firearms Freedom Act, with Bell, Green and Campfield voting "Aye".

I do not know why the attorneys on that committee voted against that bill nor do I know enough about the bill to offer my worthless speculation.  That said, while I do not follow the legislature intently, I do from time to time get information and summaries regarding bills in specific areas.  Any time you start thinking the legislature passes some absurd laws, look at the ones that don't pass.  There are quite a few "sounds like a good idea" and "this will be popular with my constituents" bills that get proposed that thankfully die when someone points out that those bills are unworkable or constitutionally infirm.  Some of those "someones" are attorneys.  Just saying :). 

Actually, the members of committee are selected for their adherence to leadership.  Individual thinking, love of the Constitution are not highly prized.  The ability to deliver to Business interest (it is well known that the Chamber of Commerce is the largest single contributer of dollars to legislators) their agendas is paramount to the current ruling Junta.