URGENT - Permit-less Car Carry in the Senate Tomorrow

Hopefully. In my home state is was a crime for me to transport my pistol in my car, but I was too young for a permit. Several years ago they changed the law to make it legal. It has helped me to reconcile my past criminal ways.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I worked some unsavory places back in La, I know what you mean.

I did get popped for car carry in '95 here.  Long story, but one of the few times I had a handgun in car that wasn't loaded. But the carts were in same bag as the revolver.

They dropped it, but I didn't get the gun back. And it was a relatively rare heater too, a beautiful stainless Ruger Redhawk .357.

- OS

[quote name="Oh Shoot" post="1141837" timestamp="1398236314"]I [i]did[/i] get popped for car carry in '95 here. Long story, but one of the few times I had a handgun in car that [i]wasn't [/i]loaded. But the carts were in same bag as the revolver. They dropped it, but I didn't get the gun back. And it was a relatively rare heater too, a beautiful stainless Ruger Redhawk .357. - OS[/quote] I'm glad you beat the charge but hate you lost the Ruger! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

It ain't over till the Fat Lady sings...if you are cynical with regards to the current administration/leadership, that is.  The delay in transmitting could be seen as a tactic to ensure there is no stomach in the legislature in returning to override - that would mean they would have to suspend campaign efforts that so many were chomping at the bit to get on with (and have)...

And it was a relatively rare heater too, a beautiful stainless Ruger Redhawk .357.

- OS

Maybe that is why you didn't get it back.  Heck, it might even be why the charges were dropped.  Someone just wanted you to go away so that they could get on with enjoying their new, free Ruger.

Looks like the Governor is on the clock now.  Bill was finally transmitted to him. 

http://wapp.capitol.tn.gov/apps/BillInfo/Default.aspx?BillNumber=SB1774

I see that the bill to extend the valid period for HCPs has also, finally, been sent to Haslam.  There must have been a whole passle of legislation that came in toward the end and that was being sent all at once to him.  I read in the newspaper last week that there was a bunch of legislation to be sent to him and that the legislators had already decided not to reconvene for a veto override session if he vetoes any of those bills.  For his part, though, Haslam said that he didn't anticipate vetoing any of them even though some weren't exactly what he had hoped for (it seems like it was some of the education bills were referred to specifically - not a peep about any pro-gun or pro-carry bills.)

My hope is that Haslam realizes that pro-gun rights folks are watching him while the antis and the media seem to be pretty quiet about the bills in question - at least so far.  If he knows his fellow the antigunners aren't watching but we are, maybe he will think that the best political move is to either sign them or just let them pass.

• Like 1

Maybe that is why you didn't get it back.  Heck, it might even be why the charges were dropped.  Someone just wanted you to go away so that they could get on with enjoying their new, free Ruger.

Well, actually could have gotten it back had that been my um...only legal problem and acted on it right away ... like I said, long story.

- OS

[quote name="Oh Shoot" post="1142369" timestamp="1398376763"]Well, actually could have gotten it back had that been my um...only legal problem and acted on it right away ... like I said, long story. - OS[/quote] Glaucoma medication? Haha. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Looking back at the weapon carry laws that I routinely ignored (not intentionally, just didn't know any better) from the time I started driving on public roads at 16, I'm really lucky that I never got snagged for carrying illegally.

But not being the ruffian that Oh Shoot is :) I managed to get pulled over only rarely and never searched.

My gosh, I carried (in the car) practically everywhere, including when I was commuting to UT.

Carried on my person a lot too, just not as much. Particularly not while I was at school.
This bill, if signed into law, will fix an annoyance for me. I believe right now when my wife (no hcp) and I are out together, and I have to run into a posted or prohibited location and leave her and my gun in the car, I am supposed to unload and separate the ammo from the gun. Stupid thing to have to do (and I don't) but this would fix that for me. I figure I'm not the only one with this problem. My wife isn't anti-gun by any means but she's not all that interested in shooting and not motivated to get her hcp. Edited by wtl

they should have changed the expiration of the carry permit to the holders birthday.

Different bill than the one discussed in this thread but that is part of what SB1672 will do if Haslam signs it or allows it to pass unsigned.  Under that bill, along with extending the valid period for an HCP to five years, permit expiration dates can be staggered just like they did with drivers' licenses several years ago.  The end result would be that the HCP would expire every five years on the HCP holder's birthday, just like drivers' licenses.

Edited by JAB
I hope that passes for the expiration date. And the car carry I have the same problem with leaving the gun in a car with wife or a loaded backup being in gun safe in car/truck when she jumps in to go somewhere. JTM We the People of the United States, in order to form a more Perfect Union......

So, does the day it was transmitted - the 23rd in this case - count as one of his ten days?  In other words, is this day six or day seven?  Does he have until Saturday or next Monday to sign, veto or let it pass?

No idea. Car carry, firearm preemption, and HCP extension all three still show unsigned, all transmitted to His Nibs on same day.

- OS