URGENT - Permit-less Car Carry in the Senate Tomorrow

Yep. I honestly do think he'll let them all pass without a signature. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst situation here. I'd guess there's an 80 pass / 20 fail odds for this bill.

Glad to see that someone is more optimistic than me on this. I don't trust him as far as I can throw a Pilot tanker truck.

• Like 3

Glad to see that someone is more optimistic than me on this. I don't trust him as far as I can throw a Pilot tanker truck.

Me, either.  I hope that he at least lets them pass without a signature but even if he does so I believe it will be because he feels he doesn't need the grief that would come from a veto and not because he is in any way on our side.

• Like 1

Me, either.  I hope that he at least lets them pass without a signature but even if he does so I believe it will be because he feels he doesn't need the grief that would come from a veto and not because he is in any way on our side.

my thoughts exactly. If they become law one way or the other, it will be due to political expediency, not because he approves of them.

Holy hell! I wouldn't have thought he'd have signed it either! Very pleased with the legislative goals accomplished. Look back to the 2014 legislative goals thread on TGO and this was "my goal". Glad it's been accomplished. Fixed the biggest and most fundamental flaw in TN Firearms statutory law in my opinion. Thanks to all those on TGO who put in their support for it!

Holy hell! I wouldn't have thought he'd have signed it either!

Maybe he thinks that signing these, now, will make us forget how he seems to have attempted to hamper gun rights legislation in this and the last session.  It won't.  Still, I am glad to see the 'car carry' and HCP time frame extension bills made official.

Edited by JAB

SB1612

Here ya' go:

http://wapp.capitol.tn.gov/apps/BillInfo/Default.aspx?BillNumber=SB1612

Haslam hasn't vetoed it (yet), just hasn't signed it as of right now.

Surely must be law now then? Perhaps he had a problem with the usurping of local law previously allowed, sort of an internal "states rights" issue, and didn't want to exactly endorse it, couldn't say.

- OS

Surely must be law now then? Perhaps he had a problem with the usurping of local law previously allowed, sort of an internal "states rights" issue, and didn't want to exactly endorse it, couldn't say.

- OS

Judging by the bill status page, all indications would be that this became law on 4/18/14-- without his signature.

Re SB1612/HB1399

Judging by the bill status page, all indications would be that this became law on 4/18/14-- without his signature.

Actually, it was transmitted to the Governor for action on 4/16 so he would have 10 days to act, but that should be up by now...

They are not going to advertise taking away authority from local jurisdictions. ;)

Think of it what you will, I'm a bit conflcted on the issue myself, but I simply don't approve of centralizing authority,

City is to State as State is to Federal Government.  Get my drift?

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 1

City is to State as State is to Federal Government.  Get my drift?

I do. Conflicted on it myself a bit. However, if local jurisdictions cannot allow something that's against state law, why should they be allowed to bar something that is allowed by state law? And I see no justification for the age of the local law to bear into it at all, myself.

Now, the whole question of whether some TN state laws are unconstitutional under its own constitution is another discussion.

- OS

• Like 2
Guest PapaB

I'm confused about SB1612. In reading the bill and amendments it appears, to me at least, to say only State and Fed can ban firearms use and possession from most places.

In the summary it says:

however, this bill does not delete the present law authorization for local governments to prohibit handgun possession in local parks.

Which is correct? Does it stop local governments from banning in parks or not? How about government buildings?

During House deliberations after the amendment was placed, the sponsor was asked that directly and replied that this bill would NOT remove local authority to ban carry  in parks.  I forgot which committee was meeting when that statement was made, but it was made loud and clear: pretty sure it was Stewart who asked the question, but I am old and not real sure what I just had for breakfast...

I'm confused about SB1612. In reading the bill and amendments it appears, to me at least, to say only State and Fed can ban firearms use and possession from most places.

In the summary it says:

Which is correct? Does it stop local governments from banning in parks or not? How about government buildings?

It removes local grandfathered ordinances that some have been using to do that.  They can still ban carry in parks and government buildings by adhering to provisions in the state statutes, however. 39-17-1311 and 39-17-1351 did not change.

- OS

Guest PapaB

It removes local grandfathered ordinances that some have been using to do that.  They can still ban carry in parks and government buildings by adhering to provisions in the state statutes, however. 39-17-1311 and 39-17-1351 did not change.

- OS

Thanks OS, I missed 39-17-1311.

Do we have an update on this? Anyone know the status? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PASSED, signed by Haslam, and its law (starting July 1)!  

On another note - reading the law as it is now, it looks like "car carriers" will be able to legally carry in their vehicle everywhere HCP holder can correct?

PASSED, signed by Haslam, and its law (starting July 1)!  

On another note - reading the law as it is now, it looks like "car carriers" will be able to legally carry in their vehicle everywhere HCP holder can correct?

Don't see why.  There is no exception in the statute for 39-17-1309 (schools) or 39-17-1359 (posted parking lots), like there is in 39-17-1313 for permit holders only.

It simply removes illegal possession charge for locations other than those that are specifically prohibited.

Seems would still be a felony to have loaded firearm on school property in vehicle without a permit, except in the act of picking up or delivering passengers, for example.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot