URGENT - Permit-less Car Carry in the Senate Tomorrow

It feels good to have written my state senator for two years about this and to finally have something done (even though he played no part in it other than voting it through).  Every now and then the political system does work to our advantage.  

Now to wait for the news networks to report about how this will lead to wild west styled shootouts in the street over road rage...

This was about the best thing that came out of the legislature this year.  It looks like you can have any loaded firearm in your any privately owned vehicle and won't need to have an unchambered long gun.  That is good.

FIFY!

As opposed to that giant turd of a bill that passed last year. (39-17-1313).

They passed a law that will allow people to carry in a vehicle without a permit, but squashed permitless carry in general? Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Patience...

The frequently used favorite tactic of the left, incrementalism, can work both ways... a little progress at a time is not as good as passing it all in one fell swoop, but it's better than going in the opposite direction.

The killing of the general OC bill was a shame, as well as the "parks" bill, but there were several others that went through OK, including the knife rights bill.

We'll get there eventually, just never give up-- the rights-grabbers never do, that's for sure.

Edited by tartanphantom
  • Like 2

Gotta be careful though. That restaurant carry bill got us the stupid relaxation on what passes for a carry prohibited sign.

Explain. I thought gun buster sign or no guns or weapons sign had to be posted in plain view before entering the building.

Explain. I thought gun buster sign or no guns or weapons sign had to be posted in plain view before entering the building.

The gun buster sign was NOT valid signage up until a couple of years ago when they passed "guns in bars".

We need to eliminate that whole sign law for people with permits or remove the 500 dollar fine.  I understand that we do not know of anyone with a permit being charged with this sign law, but it is something that is open for abuse.

Edited by 300winmag

We need to eliminate that whole sign law for people with permits or remove the 500 dollar fine.  I understand that we do not know of anyone with a permit being charged with this sign law, but it is something that is open for abuse.

There was a thread here on TGO about a man who WAS charged with carrying past a posted sign somewhere in Memphis I believe.  IF I remember correctly it was a man who carried under a shoot me first vest into a motorcycle dealership where a shooting had occurred not too long before and hired a security guard.  Said SG stopped and held the man, called the PD - man was arrested and charged for carrying past posting.  Im not sure what the judgement ended up being, but again I THINK - it was the loss of his HCP for a year.  PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong - I'm sure some of the fold timers on the forum can chime in.  

TDR - I feel that this (SB1774/HB1480) makes the gun laws much LESS convoluted.  Try going to the range with multiple handguns, rifles, shotguns, and keeping the ammo and weapons out of the access of the driver and immediate vicinity of the weapon on range day in a car - because what in my mind and an officer who's had a bad day's mind could be VERY different.  Even though its just a class C misdemeanor - I sure don't want to explain that on a grad school application.  

EDIT - Just re-read TDRs post and now see that it could very well be directed at the signage issue!  No worries.

Edited by wk05

Baby steps. We got all these repressive laws a little bit at a time. We are beginning to get rid of them a little bit at a time. Just be thankful that the momentum now seems to be in our favor.

Actually no, we got hammered in 1870, when the "Intent to go armed" clause was introduced, and the Citizens of Tennessee lost their Right to bear arms, all in one fell swoop as they say.

• Like 3

Actually no, we got hammered in 1870, when the "Intent to go armed" clause was introduced, and the Citizens of Tennessee lost their Right to bear arms, all in one fell swoop as they say.

I must not have been watching the news back then and missed all that. First gun laws I remember was 1968.

With the way the bill is worded, is it legal for someone with a HCP to carry a loaded long gun "one in the chamber", in their vehicle, if the person claims it it for self defense? Or is it only legal to insert a round in the chamber if they feel the need to use it for self defense?

With the way the bill is worded, is it legal for someone with a HCP to carry a loaded long gun "one in the chamber", in their vehicle, if the person claims it it for self defense? Or is it only legal to insert a round in the chamber if they feel the need to use it for self defense?

It'll be legal for ANYONE (who can legally own firearms) to have a loaded firearm of any legal type in vehicle, including one in the chamber.

Permit doesn't matter, one in chamber doesn't matter. That whole section is repealed and new one inserted in its place.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

I have the answer to the sign law.

The sign should have to be a very specific design. Colors, fonts, sizes, everything specified exactly. No ambiguity. Additional wordage in Spanish if they want, I don't care.

How do we get them to go with this?

You haveta buy the signs from the government

The signs are $50/piece.

The grabbers get to grab, the gun owners get clear and unambiguous signage and the government gets a new revenue source.

Who's with me?

Think we could get them to go with annual renewal? ;)

The sign should have to be a very specific design. Colors, fonts, sizes, everything specified exactly. No ambiguity. Additional wordage in Spanish if they want, I don't care.

The signs are $50/piece.

The grabbers get to grab, the gun owners get clear and unambiguous signage and the government gets a new revenue source.

Who's with me?

If Haslam doesn't like it, he'll have House Finance committee find a way  to put a financial burden on that is more than they'd take in by enacting it!

- OS

• Like 2

The signs are $50/piece.

Who's with me?

South Carolina has some very, very specific requirements for the sign to be legal.  The instructors of a South Carolina CCP class pointed out that there was at least one guy who had a business making these very specific signs and marketing them to SC businesses.  Of course for this to work for our benefit in TN, we would need a specific law that you could only be arrested for carrying past that specific sign; Oh Shoot mentioned in another thread that the TN AG gave the opinion that a legal sign was not needed.