What makes a "scout rifle"?

Guest HillyKarma

Guest HillyKarma

I've heard the terminology from time to time in the past, but I've never gotten a precise explanation of what it means.

Everytime I think I've figured it out, someone else has another explanation of what it is.

I figured I'd come here to ask you studied lot of scholars  :biglol:

From Wikipedia... seems pretty succinct:

These bolt action carbines are typically .308 caliber (7.62mm), less than 1 meter in length, and less than 3 kilograms (6.6 pounds) in weight, with iron and optical sights and fitted with practical slings (such as Ching slings) for shooting and carrying, and capable of hitting man-sized targets out to 450 meters without scopes. Typically they employ forward-mounted low-power long eye relief scopes or sights to afford easy access to the top of the rifle action for rapid reloading.

It was a Jeff Cooper opinion/concept of what he liked in a quick handling utility rifle. It is now a bit outdated with new technology. It has now turned into a term used by people who have their own opinions on a quick handling utility rifle.

I have a modern scout. It's your typical ruger Scout, aka GSR, with a Burris MTAC on Warne QD rings. Scope is mounted over receiver rather than barrel. Action is still fairly accessible. The 1power scope illuminated reticle affords wide field and quick acquisition. Magnification is good for reach.

My other "scout" is a SOCOM with leupold scout scope mounted with Warne Non-QD rings. It's heavy, but quick as hell and a lot of fun.

Here's a pic:

12109443895_0c089d6854_b.jpg

Edited by wareagle

I made one 30+ years ago -

[url=http://s1153.photobucket.com/user/enfield03/media/IMG_20140319_092807_757_zpsd5ac86c7.jpg.html]IMG_20140319_092807_757_zpsd5ac86c7.jpg[/URL]

Model 1894 Swedish Mauser, Fajen stock, wide-angle Weaver 4 power in a Williams side high mount over BUIS Williams peep sight, Buehler safety.

6.5x55 Swedish ammo in the 120 year old action is a bit anemic compared to .308, but it was what was available in my price range.

Edited by enfield
  • Like 1

most of the time when I see it these days, it means a single shot.  I do not know why.   But the general consensus is a bolt action single shot mid caliber  small and light rifle of some sort.  The whole idea is foreign to me, its like going out of the way to pick something of very limited utility in order to have less weight and increased durability. 

My tongue in cheek answers was

- a pink stock, given the state of scouting these days :P 

I find the scout rifle set up to be ideal for most hunting situations. It's especially suited for spot and stalk hunting.

Durable, lightweight and very quick on the target... perfect for creeping through the woods.

IMHO it doesn't HAVE to be a bolt gun but they're going to be lighter than your semi-auto's hence why you want one in a lightweight large mag capacity configuration so it can deliver a volume of rounds before the need to reload. Another big thing is quick acquisition optics, be it a CCO, RCO, or a scope with not a lot of power but enough to get the job done and acquire targets quickly. A scout is not meant as a combatant but rather an observer, their weapons are meant as a form of defense really though that isn't to say that they aren't used in a combat situation. I'm sure though one of the many gents whom have actually done this sort of thing could tell you MUCH more than I ever could as this is all just from my own research.

From Wikipedia... seems pretty succinct:

These bolt action carbines are typically .308 caliber (7.62mm), less than 1 meter in length, and less than 3 kilograms (6.6 pounds) in weight, with iron and optical sights and fitted with practical slings (such as Ching slings) for shooting and carrying, and capable of hitting man-sized targets out to 450 meters without scopes. Typically they employ forward-mounted low-power long eye relief scopes or sights to afford easy access to the top of the rifle action for rapid reloading.

Agreed with that assessment.

Google Jeff Cooper.

^^^THIS.

I find the scout rifle set up to be ideal for most hunting situations. It's especially suited for spot and stalk hunting.

Durable, lightweight and very quick on the target... perfect for creeping through the woods.

Yep, the biggest part in my mind is a weapon that is lightweight AND can be quickly deployed for rapid engagements.

Lot of people use "scout" for any rifle of medium caliber with a forward mounted scope.

The big ones that come to mind are the Springfield M1A Scout and the Ruger Gunsite Scout, such as pictured by wareagle though his M1A is the Socom. 

Edited by whitewolf001

I think Cooper had a weight limit on his version of a Scout Rifle.  Seems like it was 6.5 lbs or so.  He thought a Scout Rifle should be light weight and fast handling.  He also thought that in addition to the forward mounted scope, that irons sights should be part of the rifle, too.  Seems like most rifle manufacturers, are foregoing iron sights.  To me, it's unacceptable for any rifle not to have iron sights and I won't have one without them.

• Like 2
  • 9 months later...

Opinions vary, but Jeff Cooper had an idea of the general attributes of what a scout rifle 'should' be, not necessarily a list of exact requirements. Basically is is an all purpose rifle that could be used for hunting and self defense when needed. If you could have only one gun, it would be a scout rifle.

In a nutshell:

• Bolt action (more reliable, less maintenance)
  • .308 or higher caliber (to take down targets up to 300lbs. at up to 450 yards)
  • Bi-pod (stability for longer range)
  • Forward mounted scope with long eye relief (for quick target acquisition while keeping both eyes open, which is important to maintain peripheral vision)
  • Iron sites (for backup)
  • Simple sling (for carrying)
  • Fixed magnification scope (1 to 2.5x)

The three modern scout models that come to mind are:

1. Steyr Scout: http://www.steyrarms.com/products/hunting-rifles/scout/
  2. Ruger Gunsite Scout: http://www.ruger.com/products/gunsiteScoutRifle/models.html
  3. Springfield M1A Scout Squad: http://www.springfield-armory.com/products/m1a-scout-squad/

I recently bought a Ruger Gunsite Scout (Lefty in 18" Stainless Steel Barrel). Great gun, waiting for my optics to come in the mail. Only negative is the 500 cycles you have to do with bolt to smooth out the action....but all you need to do is get some oil, turn on Top Shot and go to town.

I made one 30+ years ago -

IMG_20140319_092807_757_zpsd5ac86c7.jpg

Model 1894 Swedish Mauser, Fajen stock, wide-angle Weaver 4 power in a Williams side high mount over BUIS Williams peep sight, Buehler safety.

6.5x55 Swedish ammo in the 120 year old action is a bit anemic compared to .308, but it was what was available in my price range.

You wouldn't part with this would you? :hat:

+1 on the Ruger Gunsite... it is a little rough at first, but it smooths out nicely. I've got two and I've hunted with them here and in Africa. It has quickly become one of my go to bolt guns.

I was extolling their virtue for spot and stalk earlier, but I used it in the stand this year and was impressed by how well suited it is for the task.

The smaller size and light weight make it easy to manipulate up in a tree and it's plenty accurate... we were making 300 yard kills off the sticks in Africa, no problem.

I usually top them off with a 1-6x illuminated scope. That's plenty to reach out and touch big game and I can dial it down to one and use it as a red dot sight if things get up close and personal.

Love this gun.

+1 on the Ruger Gunsite... it is a little rough at first, but it smooths out nicely. I've got two and I've hunted with them here and in Africa. It has quickly become one of my go to bolt guns.

I was extolling their virtue for spot and stalk earlier, but I used it in the stand this year and was impressed by how well suited it is for the task.

The smaller size and light weight make it easy to manipulate up in a tree and it's plenty accurate... we were making 300 yard kills off the sticks in Africa, no problem.

I usually top them off with a 1-6x illuminated scope. That's plenty to reach out and touch big game and I can dial it down to one and use it as a red dot sight if things get up close and personal.

Love this gun.

Can you give me a make and model on the scope?

Swarovski Z6i - to my mind the greatest dangerous game scope ever designed... it has ruined me for all other optics.

It is, however, stupid expensive.

I've also had good luck with a more affordable scope in 1-4x... http://www.shopbushnell.com/detail/BSN+711432

It's not nearly as durable as the Swarovski and it's not illuminated but: a. it's a fraction of the cost b. it gives a true one x so I can shoot w/ both eyes open c. has sufficient optic quality to let me reach out a couple hundred yards. d. as advertised, works well in low light

I ran one of those on a lever action .45-70 for hunting hogs and it was great until it took a tumble and died.

I've also thought, but never tried it, that some of the 1-4x optics aimed at the AR market would work pretty well in this role... something along this line: http://www.shopbushnell.com/detail/BSN+AR91424I