Medal of Honor awarded for race?

Guest TankerHC

Guest TankerHC
I know the History of no black Americans being awarded the MoH during WWI and WWII. Plenty of exceptions have been made over the last few years concerning the rules and time limits and awarding the medal and the President stating it was to make a correction on racism. Fine, if they earned it, and a grateful Nation feels they deserve it, then they deserve it.

But here is what I don't get. Are they being awarded the medal for heroism or for the color of their skin?

I only ask that because of Lt. Garlin Conners situation. He is the second most decorated soldier of WWII. Four Silver Stars, four Bronze Stars for Valor, seven Purple Hearts and the Distinguished Service Cross, nominated for the MoH twice. Veterans, historians, General's, Representatives and senator's all want him to be awarded the Medal. He was wounded and sent to a field hospital?, they were going to put him out. Instead he left the hospital, went back to his unit, killed 50 enemy, wounded over 100 more and voluntarily went forward and called in artillery fire saving his unit.

Yet for 17 or 19 year's everyone and his brother has been trying to get him an exception, but they can't. Only audie Murphy is more decorated.

This week 24 black veterans are being awarded, because exceptions were made for them. Their background is not even close to Lt. Conner.

Lt. Conner is the wrong color i suppose or he would have already received it. I also propose he is from the wrong pla. Rural Kentucky.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2
So, because the stupid decision makers are screwing LT Connors that means that those men didn't earn their commendation because they are receiving it now? Sent from my Obama Phone Edited by LINKS2K
I love it how people (mostly politicians and corporate leaders) announce their total disdain for racism, then they turn around and take actions (hiring, firing, promotions, awards, etc) based on race as a major factor. I've always felt that racism was wrong in all flavors and at all times, and two wrongs don't make a right. I can understand the argument about making a few reparations to more quickly balance the scales or right injustice in isolated cases, but believe we are well past those days now, so any continued accounting for race as a factor is just furthering racism.
LT Connor is more than deserving of the honor, but belittling another service members contribution is down right ignorant in my opinion. Especially when we have a country that exist on the backs of the very small percentage of volunteers who fight for our freedoms. Sent from my Obama Phone Edited by LINKS2K
  • Like 1
Guest TankerHC
Who said they didn't deserve their honor? What i am saying, or should say asking, is the same thing a lot of people in hog places are aski ng. How can you give 24+ Medals to correct racism with all of these exceptions while simultaneously deny someone clearly deserving an exemption? What is ignorant about that? Oh, I can tell you what is ignorant about that. See sentence 2 above.

Guest TankerHC
Ok thats it. Got tp stop using Tapatalk and just use the browser. I'm on the road and have been using Tapatalk almost exclusively except for about an hour in a hotel. All i can see is the last response to the op. Not sure if I took the last response out of context but it looks like iexdx9i 9. That makes 4, I need to be able to see the lead ups.

[quote name="LINKS2K" post="1126580" timestamp="1395179265"]why is it difficult to believe that these warriors didn't earn their honor?[/quote] I honestly didn't read the news story, just the headline that said Obama awarded the MOH to 24 black soldiers. That certainly indicates he was using race as a major factor when selecting this group, unless you believe that he did a comprehensive review of all candidates and just happened to pick 24 black soldiers in a row by sheer coincidence. If the story said he had awarded 24 caucasian or latino soldiers I would have made the same conclusion. Race, sex, religion, etc. shouldn't even be listed on the nomination form, and certainly shouldn't be a major factor in any review or decision.
Guest TankerHC
Obama made it clear this time and the last. These 24 awardees were selected to correct a racial injustice. That's a helluva basis on which to award the Medal of Honor.

Guest TresOsos

Obama made it clear this time and the last. These 24 awardees were selected to correct a racial injustice. That's a helluva basis on which to award the Medal of Honor.

Yeah and this is a helluva a racist administration.

Guest TankerHC

I don't think I would take it out on those 24 Soldiers.

I'm not sure who is disrespecting these soldiers other than Obama. Using the MoH in a mass awards ceremony to correct a racial injustice is extremely disrespectful in more ways than one. What would have been wrong with several smaller ceremonies and proclaiming the award for what it is? Actions above and beyond. Well I can tell you. Not only has he belittled the awardees but also the Medal. As well he has basically told Lt. Conners family that he did not count due to the color of his skin.

[quote name="TankerHC" post="1126629" timestamp="1395184099"]I'm not sure who is disrespecting these soldiers other than Obama. Using the MoH in a mass awards ceremony to correct a racial injustice is extremely disrespectful in more ways than one. What would have been wrong with several smaller ceremonies and proclaiming the award for what it is? Actions above and beyond. Well I can tell you. Not only has he belittled the awardees but also the Medal. As well he has basically told Lt. Conners family that he did not count due to the color of his skin. Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2[/quote] I certainly doubt that the black soldiers who were honored feel disrespected by receiving the award. Those soldiers could probably care less about the POTUS's personal/political agenda. They were honored and that's all that matters.
  • Like 1
Guest TankerHC

I certainly doubt that the black soldiers who were honored feel disrespected by receiving the award. Those soldiers could probably care less about the POTUS's personal/political agenda. They were honored and that's all that matters.

Regardless of what anyone thinks. The way it was announced and is or will be carried out is more than disrespectful. These men were not even nominated for the award. They were selected based on race.

Guest TankerHC
BTW, where is the defense of Lt. Conner?
Where is Lt. Conners exception? He has dozens of high ranking people fighting for him and his widow. And has continously been told no. But when Obama wants to use the medal to pander, which is exactly what he has done, all he needs to do is select 24 people, push it through and use his pull.

They did quite a few of these mass MoH ceremonies after the Civil War. Most were rescinded later when reviewed they showed no merit. That medal should not be used in any way as a political statement. That is exactly what the President has done.

I haven't read up on this, can someone tell me if the recipients are current military and actually selected because they are black, or is this a list that goes back some time and they were able to find 24 black guys who could have reasonably received it but didn't? Notice I'm not asking about being nominated, could they reasonably have received it? Edited by TrickyNicky
Racism is profitable, it’s profitable for those that claim it and it’s profitable for those that take the cases.

Is anyone going to believe the NY city FD is racist in its hiring practices? Doubtful, yet the tax payers will pay out $98 million in a suit settled today. Because they claim they don’t have as many black and mexican firefighters as the should; money will be paid to those that couldn’t make the cut.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/18/black-new-york-city-firefighters-lawsuit_n_4988335.html?utm_hp_ref=new-york&ir=New%20York

They were not all Black as I watched it on news tonight. There were several Hispanics included in the mix so I don't know that it was a real totally Black issue. It was more like a minority issue and I think the news media and Obama made it a Black thing.  I do think very strongly that Lt Connors more than anything else does deserve  a MoH if anyone does. I'm actually surprised that Reagan missed him or it was never brought to his attention or I am sure Reagan would have seen to it that he received one. I think the issue needs to be kept alive and we all should write our respective elected representatives and request that Lt Connors receive the honor he has more than earned.............jmho

[quote name="TankerHC" post="1126657" timestamp="1395187716"]BTW, where is the defense of Lt. Conner? Where is Lt. Conners exception? He has dozens of high ranking people fighting for him and his widow. And has continously been told no. But when Obama wants to use the medal to pander, which is exactly what he has done, all he needs to do is select 24 people, push it through and use his pull. They did quite a few of these mass MoH ceremonies after the Civil War. Most were rescinded later when reviewed they showed no merit. That medal should not be used in any way as a political statement. That is exactly what the President has done. Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2[/quote] Have your written your Congressman and military leadership regarding the oversight about Lt Conners? If so, what did they say? Also, have you been this passionate under the previous Presidential administrations and have you written the leadership for those periods of time as well? If so, what was their response? Perhaps, you should start a grassroots campaign for the defense of Lt. Conners and bring this issue to the forefront.
  • Like 2
Guest TankerHC
It isn't The Congressional Medal of Honor, it's the Medal of Honor presented by the President in the name of Congress.

[quote name="TankerHC" post="1126657" timestamp="1395187716"] They did quite a few of these mass MoH ceremonies after the Civil War. Most were rescinded later when reviewed they showed no merit. That medal should not be used in any way as a political statement. That is exactly what the President has done. Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2[/quote] That wasnt the same. They gave out Medals of Honor to hundreds of National Guardsman as reenlistment bonuses, because there was no standard back then and they needed people to stay in the unit. Comparing that to this is like comparing dog crap to filet mignon. The 24 that received the MoH all deserved it as far as I could tell, but considering there were actual investigations on each one to ensure they met the criteria is more legitimate than what has been done in the past. There are several MoH recipients who did not participate in combat or meet the modern day criteria for the award. There was a general who got it as a service award. Lindbergh even got one. So no, this isn't about Obama. Obama didnt recommend these troops for the MoH. He didnt conduct the investigation into these cases and he didnt authorize the Medal. He simply presented them at a ceremony. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 3
[quote name="TankerHC" post="1126736" timestamp="1395196122"]It isn't The Congressional Medal of Honor, it's the Medal of Honor presented by the President in the name of Congress. Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2[/quote] Okay, so the president is the sole person who recommends and authorizes the Medal? Got it. Guess I've been reading the award requirements wrong all those years. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
There are two distinct protocols for awarding the Medal of Honor. The first and most common is nomination and approval through the chain of command of the service member. The second method is nomination by a member of the U.S. Congress, generally at the request of a constituent, and the subsequent approval via a special Act of Congress. In both cases, the Medal of Honor is presented by the President on behalf of, and in the name of, the Congress.[58] Since 1941, more than half of the Medals of Honor have been awarded posthumously.[59] Medal of Honor recipients are usually personally decorated by the President.[60] If the Medal of Honor is awarded posthumously it is presented to the recipient's family.[61] Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Guest TankerHC

Have your written your Congressman and military leadership regarding the oversight about Lt Conners? If so, what did they say? Also, have you been this passionate under the previous Presidential administrations and have you written the leadership for those periods of time as well? If so, what was their response? Perhaps, you should start a grassroots campaign for the defense of Lt. Conners and bring this issue to the forefront.

I write everyone when it concerns veterans and is required. Should say call. What amazes me the most is how the original post is ignored and everyone defends the President's action's. He made it racial. When a President proclaims that he is going to " correct a racial injustice" by awarding the MoH then he just brought a racial and political element into the award. I've done plenty over the last 15 year's and continue to do so. How about you?