Do I need a G30

graycrait

OK, it is "fat." But I want to know from G30 users how they carry it, what holsters they use and what SD ammo they prefer.  What aftermarket mods to triggers etc.  

Why? I can get .45 ACP all day long but can't get decent 9mm training ammo in quantity.  I have had 2 G21s and 2 G36's, and won't go back to those.

Thanks,

Craig in Clarksville

I have one. I use a blackhawk Serpa, no mods or aftermarket products at all. I've had it about 6 years and fired many rounds. I still carry it a lot, but you need cover shirt or open carry. Never has failed to fire and I've probably shot everything made for a 45. It's found and earned a good home.
I've never owned a 30, but I've carried a 29sf for just over a year now. Dimmensionaly they're the same, however. Ive always used the cheap Glock Sport Combat holster to carry. It's cheap, very durable, and keeps the pistol tight on your hip and high enough on your belt to keep it out of sight with an untucked shirt. As far as holsters go, you have dozens of options, but that's my 2 cents. Otherwise, I left the pistol as it came from the factory. The only change I may consider in the near future are a set of big dot sights.
I love my G30. I just carry mine in a Don Hume 721ot holster. It was fairly cheap. With an untucked shirt, in the 4 O' clock position, it's not too bad for me. I was torn between a G36 and a G30. Went and shot them both and I loved the feel of the 30. Also had some FTF's with that particular 36. May I ask why you aren't a fan of the G21? Size? I enjoy shooting my G21, but I would never attempt to carry it. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 30SF that I carry IWB in a Don Hume. It does the job pretty well but it is pretty wide. Not as uncomfortable as some guns though. I've been thinking about an OWB to carry in the winter months when it's easier to cover without being obvious. The 30SF will feed anything I put in it. I usually keep Gold Dots or Golden Sabers in it for carry purposes. They work very well. With spring coming on I'll be carrying my LCR more often though. For me, pocket carry with the LCR is more comfortable and just as accessible.

Guest SavageOne

Never owned a 30, currently have a 36, and carried the 21 as a duty gun. I have shot the 30 fairly extensively, and it's a good choice IMO. I frequently carry a 19 IWB in reasonable comfort. (CrossBreed) The 30 is not that much larger. Only real changes that any Glock carry gun needs is a sight change. I like to keep the trigger stock for safety reasons. 

I need one too...!!! Looks ta me like they are the ultimate 45ACP.... I've got his little brothers (...glock 33 and 27...)... I can carry them in a kydex hip holster from AHolster or a great IWB (...leather...) from Andrews Custom Leather Pictures here:  They are a bit pricey but ya cant beat 'em....

http://www.andrewsleather.com/macdaniel2.htm

I just got a kydex OWB for a Glock 20 from this guy :http://www.rkbaholsters.com/Kydex.html

All that bein said; im round and wear loose clothes... I can carry most anything...

leroy

I as others have stated don't carry a 30 but I carry a G29 daily.  Its dimensionally equal.  I carry it in a Raven Concealment holster mostly although I do have a leather DM Bullard that I like.  I just find the Raven holster is light and comfortable and if you sweat it doesn't soak in, fits close to the body, adjustable ride height.  Its fatter than the 9mm versions but I have long fingers so it doesn't really seem to bother me. 

I recently bough a G21 and although I don't carry it I find that its supper sweat shooter.  So I cant imagine I wouldn't like the G30, just gotta have the pinky extension on the mags. 

OK, it is "fat." But I want to know from G30 users how they carry it, what holsters they use and what SD ammo they prefer.  What aftermarket mods to triggers etc.  

Why? I can get .45 ACP all day long but can't get decent 9mm training ammo in quantity.  I have had 2 G21s and 2 G36's, and won't go back to those.

Thanks,

Craig in Clarksville

Hey Craig , My G30 is from 1997 . Has no rails and I use the 9rd flush fitting magazine with it for carry. I carry it strong sided in the Glock sport/combat holster. I went through a crap load of holsters for it then tried the Glock holster and I love it . For "cross-draw"/ weak side carry I use a leather Pro Carry Belt ride from The Holster Store. Some people dont like crossdraw but for some shirts or pants I wear this works for me .  They are out of FLorida and make nice well built good priced holsters. It may look cheap but they are built tough. My ammo varies but my G30 will cycle and feed anything. Thats the great thing about the Glock 30 . I hope you like the pics below . 

[url=http://s768.photobucket.com/user/tercel89/media/g302_zpsff1b23f0.jpg.html]g302_zpsff1b23f0.jpg[/URL]

[url=http://s768.photobucket.com/user/tercel89/media/g301_zpsf44d825b.jpg.html]g301_zpsf44d825b.jpg[/URL]

[url=http://s768.photobucket.com/user/tercel89/media/g303_zps67ffea30.jpg.html]g303_zps67ffea30.jpg[/URL]

Edited by tercel89

I don't always carry a G30 but when I do carry the G30 it is in a Mitch Rosen Upper Limit (UPL) Holster with a Mitch Rosen 5 DM double mag carrier. The holster rides very high on the belt (hence the name Upper Limit). As to ammo....I used to use Corbon 165 but have settled on CCI Gold Dot 230 gr or Winchester PDX1 230gr. They are easier to find and hit same point of aim point of impact as 230 gr ball practice ammo. 

I have two of them... have one on me right now under a loose shirt. I have both a left and right handed holster from Bianchi 7/7L. Carry ammo is the Federal (something-or-other) Hollowpoints. They feed nicely. Otherwise, it's whatever FMJ round I can find for the range.

My G30 is my primary on-body carry weapon and I use a Crossbreed Supertuck.

I also have an occasionally carry my G21 on-body (although usually it's in a concealed "day planner".

Frankly, I think the G30 is an excellent combination of relatively small size with a lot of firepower and, as Glocks tend to be, about as reliable as you could hope for in a semi-auto pistol.

• Like 2
You don't need a G30, but its such a wonderful pistol. Its more than combat accurate and very easy to conceal. I've owned several and my current SF is carried in a Milt Sparks VMII. My defensive ammo of choice is Hornady Critical Defense. Sent from my Obama Phone Edited by LINKS2K

I like my 30SF.  I use a Fobus paddle holster for OWB with a long shirt.  No comfort issues and I have been told it doesn't print.  In full disclosure, as to the print issue I am morbidly obese.  I could probably carry a pocket .380 in a fat fold.  Additionally, I do not have it on my hip every time i walk out the door.  I'm sure a lot of the other posters have way more holster time with theirs.

I had thought to get a single stack .45 for warm weather shorts and t-shirt carry but I'm going to try IWB on the 30SF first.  On the recommendation of a friend, I've ordered an Alien Gear IWB holster.  Looks pretty similar to the Crossbreed Supertuck and the Galco King Tuk (the other holsters I considered) but at a lower price point.  FWIW, my buddy has his 30SF on his hip every time he walks out the door and he likes the Alien Gear.

Haven't tried a lot of different SD ammo (hard to make myself fire too much of the pricey stuff) but I did come across a good deal on some Federal 230gr. Hydrashok some time back and haven't found a reason to dislike it to this point.

The only thing I did was drill a lanyard hole in it like the G17 , 19 and most the rest . Other than that mine is stock . Stock is the best way that Glocks run in my opinion. 

I ALWAYS change the sights on my Glocks...let's face it, the stock sights that come on Glocks (well, at least the standard ones) are just horrible! :)

Some folks need an extended mag release or slide stop but I've never had any problem manipulating the weapon without making those changes.