My new puppy!

58 minutes ago, rugerla1 said:

Thanks Prag! I think the meds are helping already. Just got home a little while ago and he seems to have a little more spunk thank today at lunch. Really wish I knew what happened so I could keep it from m happening again though. Going to keep him on all the meds just to be sure he fully recovers. Last night was scary for sure!

Our furry companions get into so very much, it's almost impossible to protect them all the time. But I'm so very glad he seems to be improving.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, hipower said:

Our furry companions get into so very much, it's almost impossible to protect them all the time. But I'm so very glad he seems to be improving.

Indeed they do! It hurts when they hurt for sure. He’s my shadow anywhere I go. My wife stopped at PetSmart a few minutes ago and picked him up a tennis ball that’s the size of a cantaloupe almost. He can barely carry it but he’s loving that thing. Sure am happier watching him tonight. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, rugerla1 said:

Indeed they do! It hurts when they hurt for sure. He’s my shadow anywhere I go. My wife stopped at PetSmart a few minutes ago and picked him up a tennis ball that’s the size of a cantaloupe almost. He can barely carry it but he’s loving that thing. Sure am happier watching him tonight. 

Wonderful! I'll tell you about mine/ours later. Heading to bed or I'd do it now.

• Like 1

Very glad to hear your pup is doing much better. I just took Darby to the vet on Tuesday for a checkup. Was having a little constipation issue but Vet found nothing wrong except her diet and I got a talking to by the vet about her weight.........LOL When I got her she was way under weight due to a hunger strike she was on after being put up for adoption by original owners. When I got her she weighed 23 lbs in January and weighed 34 last Tuesday. Vet ask me what I was feeding her and I gave her a list of foods and each time I said a food vet gave me one of those looks!!

I know I need to keep her weight down where it is right now so working slowly on new diet. vet said i needed to add more veggies into her meats which is Chicken Breasts and Ground beef I cook for her. She totally refuses to eat dry dog food period and will eat wet Pedigree about every 3rd night for supper which is good. I'm looking at trying to find veggies I can add to her protein products. I tried pumpkin and that was a no. She would not eat her food so going to try sweet potatoe next.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, bersaguy said:

Very glad to hear your pup is doing much better. I just took Darby to the vet on Tuesday for a checkup. Was having a little constipation issue but Vet found nothing wrong except her diet and I got a talking to by the vet about her weight.........LOL When I got her she was way under weight due to a hunger strike she was on after being put up for adoption by original owners. When I got her she weighed 23 lbs in January and weighed 34 last Tuesday. Vet ask me what I was feeding her and I gave her a list of foods and each time I said a food vet gave me one of those looks!!

I know I need to keep her weight down where it is right now so working slowly on new diet. vet said i needed to add more veggies into her meats which is Chicken Breasts and Ground beef I cook for her. She totally refuses to eat dry dog food period and will eat wet Pedigree about every 3rd night for supper which is good. I'm looking at trying to find veggies I can add to her protein products. I tried pumpkin and that was a no. She would not eat her food so going to try sweet potatoe next.

Canned Veg-All? We've used it with several dogs and it seems to work. Just drain the excess water and mix it as you like with other foods.  

• Like 1

We used to feed our boxer canned peas (the smaller size ones) mixed in with her dry food, she loved 'em.  It was so funny to watch her chase a pea or two around in her bowl trying to get that last morsel.  Our boxer got a bit pudgy so the vet recommended cutting back on the dry food and mixing in the same amount of peas.  She lost the weight she needed to and stayed lean but healthy.  Yams or Sweet taters is another subsitute as well.

• Like 1

Just a FYI, peas and vegetables may not be as good as we used to think.  This is literally a new thing just this month: 

The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is investigating a potential link between heart disease in dogs and the consumption of pet food containing peas, among other vegetables.

http://www.aaha.org/blog/NewStat/post/2018/07/13/280457/FDA-warning-Dont-eat-those-peas!.aspx

From the link above:

“We are concerned about reports of canine heart disease, known as dilated cardiomyopathy (DCM), in dogs who ate certain pet foods containing peas, lentils, and other legumes or potatoes as their main ingredients,”

It doesn't sound like it would be a problem just adding some to the existing food.

• Like 1

Well, I'm just not use to having a finicky dog. Every dog I have had pretty much ate dog food but I have never fed my dogs dry dog food. I was finally able to get to talk with Darby's original owners that raised her from a puppy and they said that once she got off dry puppy food they moved her up to small dog dry food containing Chicken and Rice Organic formula but they could not remember what brand it was but they bought it at Sams and it came in a brown bag and was expensive. Well, I took a stab in the dark and bought her a 5 lb bag of Blue Buffalo Small Dog dry food in the Chicken & Rice formula. Gave like 20+ some change for this bag of food. Got it home. Got close to meal time so I put a bowl of it down for her. She walked over and sniffed it and walked away. I figured I would try the she will eat it when she gets hungry program and she went 2 days without touching the food. I put her down a bowl of the chicken I had cooked for her and she ate like she was starved to death and like she was afraid someon was going to take it away from her before she could get it down.

I won't do that to her ever again. When meal time comes food she likes will be in her bowl. Last week I invested in a new electric meat grinder since Krogers has decided they won't grind meat from the butchers Special Mrk down section any longer. I was good at catching pot roasts on slae and I was having them made into burger. Last time I was able to find 4 with great mark downs so I took them to the butcher and he said they don't do that any more. I bought them and brought them home and froze the and waited for my meat grinder to arrive. I thawed them out in the fridge, cut them in strips and ground them up into burger. I cooked up some and frozed the rest to cook later.

I cooked her 5 Chicken breasts on the grill with margarine wrapped in foil along with my steak I bought on sale. When the chicken breast cooled down in the fridge I ran them through the blender also and it made a great chopped chicket nuggets and I gave her about 1 breast worth in her bowl for supper and she ate it up and licked the bowl clean. Made it again for her breakfast but added a small amount of cooked rice into it and she ate it all and licked the bowl clean. She has been eating rice in her chicken most mornings. Vet said not to much is good for her.

Oh well, if nothing else she has made my life much more interesting recently and she seems happy with me and I am with her. 

• Like 1
18 hours ago, prag said:

That's great he's feeling better my friend. Roman is a beautiful pup, heck they're like our children and it makes one feel pretty helpless when they are in need.

Hang in there my friend.

Thank you! He is feeling close to normal this evening I think. He is definitely very much improved over the last 24 hours. Matter of fact he just brought his tennis ball (the small one) over here and laid at my feet while I’m typing this 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, bersaguy said:

Thank you! Good luck with Darby’s diet. We don’t have a dog that has a problem with dry dog food so we got it easy I think. I’d say the sweet potato would probably be a welcome item for Darby, let us know how it turns out. 

1 hour ago, TripleGGG said:

We supplement with green beans. Every dog we've had loves them. Just pour some on top of regular food.  We just buy the cheapest we can find at Costco or the grocery store.  Done this for years. 

Never thought to try green beans, may see if Roman likes them.