Pleasant surprise at work today

I was looking for something in our employee handbook today and stumbled on this recent change under "causes for forced termination":

Possession of a weapon or firearm on company property except when it is kept out of sight in a locked vehicle.

Before this, we weren't allowed to have one at all. I'm assuming that this was done to accommodate the new law. At any rate... pretty cool. Edited by daddyo
  • Like 9

Congratulations!  I kind of doubt that most places would change their employee handbook in such a manner as the law doesn't require them to make that exception.  I am pretty sure that my employer has not.  Good for you that your employer did take that step.

Good find. Sounds like a great place to work.

My last place of employment had a very strict no firearms policy. Not on company grounds or vehicles. Period. Several carried at their own risk.

One day we came in and found that the office area had been burglarized. And during the search process and checking the building out; police found that the Office Sales Manager was packing. LOL

Somewhat embarrassing for him.

But strangely enough...he kept his job. Unlike a couple of common employees that were found in violation previously.

My company has a very vague "no weapons" policy but many of us leave our guns in our cars. How are they ever going to find out? 

Florida also has a law that says that employers cannot prevent me from keeping a firearm in my vehicle. 

• Like 1

My company has a very vague "no weapons" policy but many of us leave our guns in our cars. How are they ever going to find out? 

Florida also has a law that says that employers cannot prevent me from keeping a firearm in my vehicle. 

That's my advice. Keep it out of sight and don't tell anyone about it, not even your best friend.

You might as well not have one if its locked in your car..  :-\  Though having it afterward is convenient :) Cool beans

That's the whole point - I can have it with me going to and from work and not worry about violating company policy. I can also go to the range after work, meet someone to trade with or have it available to carry with me if I stop somewhere on the way home. It's a win all the way around.

Now, if we can just get them to change it to allow carry while at work....

I have a friend, whose wife's cousin knew someone that worked at a place where there would be a verbal confrontation or telephone threat from a customer. Although at that particular workplace there is a 'no firearms' policy. However whenever such a threat is made, that employee is always asked if he has his weapon in a handy location. Funny how guns are such a bad thing until someone feels they need one.

Now, if we can just get them to change it to allow carry while at work....

You have options other than getting the .gov involved.

1. Lobby your employer to allow it.

2. Find an employer who allows it.

3. Start your own company and allow it.

You have options other than getting the .gov involved.

1. Lobby your employer to allow it.
2. Find an employer who allows it.
3. Start your own company and allow it.

Sorry, I was referring to my employer, not the goobermit. Edited by daddyo
  • Like 1