Ladies, why did you get your first gun?

Guest hustle

OK, I know that most women don't have/carry guns. There are always many different reasons that they carry. Sometimes they are motivated by a bad personal experience, or they just came from a family of gun nuts. Personally, I was raised around guns. I shot guns with my Dad for almost as long as I can remember. We had targets set up on the bank in the backyard, and my brother and I even helped dad pull the lead out of the targets for reloading. I was just wondering what made some of you get guns. Did something scare you into getting one, is it for security, is it for hunting, is it for fun, or have you just always had one?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Several years ago my brother took me to a range with many assorted handguns. I shot several calibers in semi-autos, revolvers, strange little I-don't-remember-what-country-they-came-from guns, and a precious little derringer. And he didn't even bring all he has. It took a while just to unload the guns and ammo from his truck. He has one that is a 44 revolver with laser sites and a scope. It was so heavy I could hardly hold it up, but did long enough to hit dead center. (It was very loud.) And there was a Desert Eagle that was fun.

I had a blast. I'd always know he was into hunting and had many long guns and handguns but never took notice until he invited me out. He took me another time to shoot some of his long guns which I thoroughly enjoyed, too.

Not long after I got my first handgun and added another a year or so later. There are many more I want but don't have the spare funds. It is an expensive hobby. And I finally got my HCP this last summer. :D

Edited by ~Emily~

My brother has a friend like that. It's great. They let me shoot all of their guns, and since I don't know which guns they're bringing, I get to shoot their ammo too. :D

I totally feel you on the $ issue. I wish I could get some more too.

I come from a family of sportsmen.....guns & shooting, hunting, fishing, camping, etc. I shot my first gun, a Winchester model 94 lever action .22 with a scope, when I was 4 years old. My dad would kneel on the ground and let me stand behind him with the .22 rested on his shoulder and shoot targets, cans, or whatever was available. From targets and cans I moved up to squirrels, and then a 12 guage shotgun and deer. My dad was a WWII vet, an avid gun collector and shooter as well as a hunter, so I grew up shooting rifles, shotguns, and handguns of all makes, models and calibers. When my dad had free time, we were shooting, hunting, fishing, or camping somewhere. I've had access to my own loaded gun in the house since I was 12 years old and I've had my carry permit for over 10 years. My dad believed in having the ability to defend yourself and your family, and passed that belief down to me. Now, my son is almost four, and I'll soon be starting to teach him all the great things my dad taught me. I just hope I can make my dad proud and keep his legacy alive.

I was threatened and it is my word against his so I have no recourse on a verbal threat that only I heard. I was miserable going anywhere alone. I finally decided to take the safety course and get a carry permit so that I could protect myself if I need to. I don't like to go anywhere without my handgun.

Edited by Guns&Dobes
Guest Boomhower
I was treatened and it is my word against his so I have no recourse on a verbal threat that only I heard. I was miserable going anywhere alone. I finally decided to take the safety course and get a carry permit so that I could protect myself if I need to. I don't like to go anywhere without my handgun.

I wouldn't go anywhere without the Dobes :screwy:

Guest BarqueCat

We were stationed in San Diego in 1992, hubby was on West Pac. A woman was raped in her own bathtub. Five days (waiting period) later I had a letter out telling him not to surprise me coming home and a shiny new GP100. That gun still lives by my bed.

As for the carry permit - I think it is a right that should be excersized, so as soon as I could, I got one.

I wouldn't go anywhere without the Dobes :rofl:

LOL actually that does help, I was taking them with me a lot, one or the other and sometimes both but there are places I couldn't take them like Walmart and that is when I decided enough was enough and got the handgun and carry permit.

This person of whom I refer actually came to my door and when he saw my dobermans he backed up as they stood there and growled at him. This was before he threatened me.

Husband got the bedrooms completed on the second floor & I decided that if I was going to have to sleep up there I was going to at least get a shotgun. Handguns came next, of course.

LOL actually that does help, I was taking them with me a lot, one or the other and sometimes both but there are places I couldn't take them like Walmart and that is when I decided enough was enough and got the handgun and carry permit.

This person of whom I refer actually came to my door and when he saw my dobermans he backed up as they stood there and growled at him. This was before he threatened me.

Unfortunately my dobe would have wanted to lick him to death. Now my min-pin on the other hand, everyone is scared of him - he thinks he is my dobe's size, and if he doesnt know you you're dinner for him lol ;)

Guest Angel 24/7

I was raised in a family of no guns. Xdshooter has always had guns. Spring this year he made me go shoot his xd & a marlin model60. I loved it!

So xd & I together got our permits!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest TinkerBell

i dont have a gun yet but i plan to get one n the near future. not 100% sure what ima get but prolly a sig mosquito cause its the 1st gun my bf got me to shoot and i loved it.. i just want a fun gun right now to take to the range when we go. my dad is a hunter but i was never interested in guns or shooting. my bf finally talked me into goin to the range and i had a blast with it. i think the fact of not knowing about guns is what scared me bout guns.. ya im still scared of em but i know the safety of using them now which makes me feel more at ease.

Tinkerbell, I think it's awesome that you're learning how to shoot and having fun with it! Most people that have a fear of guns also lack any knowledge or experience with them. I think the Sig mosquito is a great choice and you'll be able to shoot all you want for very little $ Have fun! :)

Guest Valkyrie

I used to be BEYOND terrified of guns. Loud noises freak me out and guns just flat scared me. Whenever Verbal and I would go somewhere and I knew he had his gun on him, it freaked me out.

Then, I went shooting and decided it wasn't too bad. The more I shot and learned, the more I loved it and wanted a gun of my own. Besides, I don't enjoy having to wait around for someone to come help me when I could very well take care of the situation on my own. I'd rather not be helpless if I'm ever in a situation where packing would be a good idea.

A couple days ago, the girl from "The Seventies Show" was on the Ellen Degeneris show......it was the rich spoiled one, Jackie.....I can't remember her real name. Anyway.....she is in the Max Pain movie with Mark Wahlberg. Ellen asked her about her role in the movie. She told Ellen about how she had to learn how to shoot a gun for the movie. She said that she had always been afraid of guns, but that after she started shooting, she thought it was "awesome!" She said something to the effect that she didn't know why she liked it so much, and that she was really surprised at how much fun it really was. I was smiling and thinking how cool it was to hear her saying that on a widely viewed show like Ellen........BUT, then she kind of 'caught' her obviously liberal, ignorant and anti gun self.....and said something to the effect of Oh, I'm not saying that I believe people should have guns......but in a "safe" environment with a lot of "trained" people around where you're shooting at a target.....it's fun. So....it's ok to go to a range, use a gun, and shoot at a target, but it's not ok for people to actually own a gun. Pure ignorance. I really hope that she has more oppurtunities to shoot and maybe change her mind about guns someday.

Speaking of Ellen and guns.....while I'm on the subject......I saw Joe Biden on there last week I think. Ellen has a dunk tank and whenever someone gets dunked, the show donates $ to Breast Cancer awareness. So Biden was throwing the ball and going to dunk "Elaine" from Seinfeld......he told Ellen before he started throwing the balls "I have secret service with me, and I've got it worked out with them that if I miss they'll shoot the sucker!" I love when politicians and actors think it's ok to have armed bodygaurds and secret service to protect them......but it's not ok for the average law abiding citizen to own/carry a gun to protect themselves and their families.

Ok, that's my rant for the day :mad: LOL

• 4 weeks later...

When I started dating Buk, back before we got married, I knew that he was into guns. He immediately started taking me out to the range and teaching me to shoot. He taught me to defend myself, if he ever wasn't there. Shortly before we got married, he got me my own Sig 226 with nifty night sights. GAWD, I loved that gun! He got it for me to have with me when he worked night shift, and I was home alone. He's really good in that every new gun we get, I'm taught how to strip it, load/unload it, shoot it, etc. That way, I can shoot anything I can get my hands on in an emergency.

• 2 weeks later...

There are hunters in my family and though I grew up around them, I didn't consider shooting guns until about 10 years ago when I started thinking that I should arm myself for protection. I finally tried shooting handguns last month, and when my finances allow I plan to purchase a gun & ammo, take class(es), get permits/licenses, join the NRA, visit gun ranges more often, etc.

Whew - I know it's gonna cost a pretty penny to get set up, but it'll be worth it! :)

My mother did not like guns and preferred not to have any in the house. My dad honored her wishes for the most part. When I was very young, he had a rifle and did some hunting, but it did not last long. As a teen, I knew he had a 32 semi auto. I would take it out of the draw and handle it, never pulling the trigger.

In college, I joined the rifle club and spent some time on the range, but never competing. Except for being allowed to shoot rifles and hand guns of friends, I had little experience. That changed when some friends took me to a range where you could rent handguns. I was hooked Luckily they had ladies days with free lanes and rentals, just buy the ammo.

It was not long after that I enrolled in a class. I soon had my carry permit, but still did not have a weapon. I had to make a 1200 mile trip to buy my first handgun. Yes, it was worth it.

Shirley

• 1 month later...
Guest Dr. Pepper

When I was growing up, apparently my step-dad had several guns, but I never really knew about them. I remember when I was in college later and my family (all girls. Five, including me) was having a discussion about guns. My step-dad said he was going to get my mom a PPK to carry around in her purse and she said, "Like hell you are." And I said, "Get it for me!" He never did. Unfortunately.

Now I have a husband who wants me to be able to defend myself should I ever have to. We have gotten into guns at the same time. We got our carry permits at the same time and we both really enjoy spending our "spare" money on guns. Of course, at one time I was against guns, socialized to think they were horrible and I used to give my uncle guilt trips for hunting. Poor guy. Now I wish I knew HOW to hunt (to be prepared....you never know....). He doesn't hunt anymore, presumably from my very effective guilt trips. :)

Anyway, I think it's an attractive trait for a person to be confident about their ability to defend their life. I think it's a downer to hear about people being unaware of the realities in our dangerous world. I agree with Packin' Mama about Biden and that liberal viewpoint. Makes me throw up. I guess we're all evolving. Maybe Ellen will evolve too. I'm going to start a talk show called Women Who Kick Ass. No, I mean REAL ASS.

There's my rant. I like your avatar too, Hustle.

• 1 year later...

I'm a state Correctional Officer (Lt.), and already authorized by law to carry anywhere in the state once vested.

Correctional Officers see thousands of convicted felons during our careers, but on the outside, released felons are far more likely to remember us than we are to remember them because there are fewer of us to remember. All a Correctional Officer has to do to make an enemy is to do her/his job.

I bought and carry my beloved Sig P229 .40 so that I at least have a fighting chance, at home or in public.

Guest blackbeltchick

I've always liked guns until my friends husband shot her three times, turned towards me and started shooting as well. He then turned the gun on himself and blew his brains out. If that wasn't bad enought, I had an ex-husband put a gun between my eyes and threaten to blow my brains out. I had nightmare for many nights. But my wonderful husband I have now has help me over come those nightmares. I no longer fear being around guns and I love shooting. I don't leave home without at least two.

I've always liked guns until my friends husband shot her three times, turned towards me and started shooting as well. He then turned the gun on himself and blew his brains out. If that wasn't bad enought, I had an ex-husband put a gun between my eyes and threaten to blow my brains out. I had nightmare for many nights. But my wonderful husband I have now has help me over come those nightmares. I no longer fear being around guns and I love shooting. I don't leave home without at least two.

I can't even imagine how that must have affected you.....and how helpless you had to have felt. Many women would be scared to death of guns after something like that......I'm so glad that you went the other direction! :blink: