Honoring Marswolf......

This is just a thought.....but what does everyone think about retiring Marswolf's post count? I know that retiring his avatar had been brought up in another thread.....but I thought that maybe retiring his post count could forever honor him here on TGO.

It could go like this.....when anyone reaches the 5,985 postcount that Marswolf had.....their post count could just stop there in remembrance and honor of Mars. It could either just show the 5,985 post count or better yet, it could just not have a number anymore and simply say "Marswolf." It would be everyone's goal to instead of having the highest post count on TGO to just simply reach "Marswolf."

Hey, it's just a thought. I'm getting ready to leave for church and thought I'd throw it out there....see what everyone thinks.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

It would require quite a bit of altering to the database and code. I'm going to have to think on this one as it would probably end up being a small gesture that would end up lost in the mix of things over time.

Perhaps I can come up with a way to mark the profiles of those who have gone on before us to indicate that their user account here exists in memoriam.

It would require quite a bit of altering to the database and code. I'm going to have to think on this one as it would probably end up being a small gesture that would end up lost in the mix of things over time.

Perhaps I can come up with a way to mark the profiles of those who have gone on before us to indicate that their user account here exists in memoriam.

I think that is a good idea...

Guest Phantom6
that's a good idea Tungsten..I was thinking that, while it's a wonderful idea, I would settle for just a simple link that posts the names dates and perhaps a picture of those who've gone on to their final reward.

That would be my suggestion as well.

Guest Phantom6

Towerclimber forwarded this to me last night-

-------------------------------

Date: Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 7:23 PM

Subject: Shannon

As far as I know, the memorial for Shannon will be on Saturday at noon at Hamlett Dobson in Kingsport.

I am working on the details for the Memorial Service.

If you or anyone else who is coming want to speak, please let me know so I can include it in the details.

I don't have a picture to include so that would be good if anyone could send one.

I need this by Wednesday to take to the funeral home on Thursday.

Respectfully,

Theresa McMahan

-------------------------------

As some of you may know, Marswolf was on the Library Board there in his community. Ms. McMahan is with the Watauga Regional Library and worked with Shannon to improve public library service in the northeast Tennessee counties of Carter, Greene, Johnson, Sullivan, Unicoi, and Washington by providing a variety of types of assistance to local public libraries.

Regrettably, Sharon and I will be unable to attend Saturday but we will be keeping Shannon in our prayers.

I am not going to be able to go. I have privately made my peace with Mars death.

After he is buried I will make my way to Kingsport to visit the grave.

I am going to visit family this weekend in Cincinnati. Not to disrespect Shannon but life is for the living and I intend to enjoy life this weekend in his honor. I am pretty sure he would see my point, and would be the first to tell me to go on.

• Administrator

Mike, you're not alone. Since this all came to a head, I was given the opportunity to visit with my kids. Because of band and cheerleading, they haven't been able to visit me since the start of the school year. I've got to put family first when these opportunities come up... so I won't be making the trek to East TN this time.

Another forum I am on has groups set up for donators (red stars), vendors (yellow stars) admins (green stars).

A few years back, we set up a group that a small US flag icon for military forum members who died while serving.

It sounds like a similar approach might work in this instance as well.