Glock 27 Car Storage Solution

Guest sigequinox

Guest sigequinox

So I can't have my gun on me at work, and I work in a typical high crime city. The street I work on is safe but only because it's on Yale University property. The rest of New Haven is a crime ridden liberal cesspool. Needless to say, I want my gun around.

But there was a problem! I did not want one of those lock boxes under my seat for 2 reasons:

(1) If I ever "needed it" I would need to access it quickly in a pinch. Next time your in your car, observe how little space there is between you, your steering wheel and under your seat. Imagine trying to manipulate a safe that open outward under there and trying to get a gun out while some Home Boy is trying to drag you out of your window at a red light.Situation one is just not tactically sound. In reality I would need to keep the gun in my center console until I get to work and then lock it up. The reverse when I leave. This leads to conflict number 2.

(2)  I did not want to have to expose my gun in my work parking lot every day when I arrived--taking it out of the center console (where it accessible if I need it) to move it to lock box under seat. vice versa at end of day.

The solution: to integrate a lockbox IN MY CENTER CONSOLE so that the gun never leaves the spot that it needs to be for easy access. I found a lockbox the exact dimensions of my glock 27 which, coincidentally, fit PERFECTLY in the hallow space of the center console lid. Horay.

The [extremely easy]process:

(1) Remove center console lid padding--exposing the basic box structure. Drill out two holes for the bolts that will secure the safe.

IMAG0078_zps7c4f65a8.jpg

(2) Cut bolts down if necessary and install box.

IMAG0079_zps59cb3a87.jpg

(3) Put lid back on

IMAG0083_zps5a7b4de4.jpg

(4) Modify cable to fit insde the tight space and drill another hole at bottom of center console to prevent someone from just prying the cover off and worrying about the lockbox later. ( Regrettably,I still haven't done this step)

(5) Enjoy safe gun practices

IMAG0081_zps27f61b92.jpg

Box cost about $20-25 bucks if I remember correctly.

Edited by sigequinox
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest sigequinox

Hand paint, not spray paint the lock black.

Nice idea. However, once I finally getting around to cable locking the actual lock box to the center console itself, this may draw attention to the box. At that point though, even if someone tried to rip the whole lid off, it would be secured with cable to the base console. Although I suppose there's no harm in covering every base. Some "camo" on the stainless steel lock mechanism just might make the difference for some opportunistic scumbag quickly unloading the contents of my car.

Guest sigequinox

nice looking setup. What brand the box did you buy.

Sorry, forgot to put that info in the initial write up... Box is a Helix personal safe.

http://www.amazon.com/Helix-Personal-Safe-Tether-61019/dp/B000GOYCYU

Good work. Do you mind my asking what type of vehicle you have?

Vehicle is a 2008 Nissan Sentra.

It fits so perfectly that an adult hand cannot get around the box and attempt to compromise the safe. The only option right now is for them to rip the whole lid off, but eventually I am going to tether that to the base of the center console as well. And thanks to poster above I will paint the stainless part of the safe black to draw even less attention to it.

Edited by sigequinox
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest Lowbuster
Can you drill down through the bottom of the console and teather the safe underneath somewhere like the parking break? Edited by Lowbuster