powder for pistol ammo

What kind of powder and what brand is good for starting off making ammo for pistol ammunition ? I have got all my eqiptment and just cleaned my first batch of brass. Now I am ready to prime , resize them and all. But I dont know how to chose a brand of powder nor what kind . Any help is appreciated . Oh I forgot to say that I am going to be reloading 9mm.

Edited by tercel89

Find a powder that is actually in stock, or that you can get & then look in a manual to find a load for the projectile that you plan on using & start from the Minimum load.

You won't always be pleased with a powder choice but you will be loading & the ammo should go bang.

It's a start.  Follow the manuals & be safe.

Edited by xd shooter
  • Like 1
Finding powder will be the first trick, finding powder that will work wit all your desired calibers is even harder. I am partial to Power Pistol and Unique, both are widely universal. Others will say W231, aa5, Bullseye, Universal, Titegroup, AmericN Select, Herco, and 2400(debateable) all seem to be the most used. One of the only handgun powders I see regularly is PB(it's in a plain brown tub).
  • Like 1
I've used about all of then now. Shortage has really made me expand my horizons on what I'm loading with.

Unique to me is still my favorite.

700x lately has give me good results in 9mm and 45

Longshot is a new favorite in .40

Bullseye was amazing in 9mm for me

Titegroups been less than impressive in 9 and 45. I'm not really liking it. But it's working good in subsonic 308 and 223.

7625 as also been pretty good. I not impressed but I'm happier with it than Titegroup.

That's just a couple I've used over the last 2 months because it's all I've found. Like others have said. Whatever you find just use it to your likening. Keep trying new stuff and making new loads. You'll find a powder you love for all calibers. Then probably won't be able to find it again. Haha. It sucks it's hard to get pistol powder right now. But such is life. Makes it more fun to work up new loads and try new things. Edited by 173rdABN

It all goes  bang. 

The things to look for are

-- match powder to the cartridges you use.  One powder *can* do everything from 25 acp to 357 mag but its not ideal for the extremes.   Starting out I recommend trying to get one that will do well in all your cartridges, one less thing to deal with early on.

- flake vs ball vs other shapes.  Ball works better when you use volume based measurement systems due to airspace being more consistent.  If you weigh each round, it does not matter.

- economics, consistency, and safety....   a hot powder takes less per shot, so a pound goes farther.  This is the economic win.  A slow powder lets you weigh it better (margin of error is smaller,  3 grains at +- .25 grain error vs 6 grains at +- .25 error, the 3 grain powder is less consistent with that error, see?!)  -- so a slow powder uses more per case (economic loss, consistency win).   Safety... slower powders that overflow the case on a double charge can't be double charged by mistake.   As you can see I lean toward slower powders.

that said I use AA# 5 in the majority of my common rounds. 

Edited by Jonnin