Political Correctness Run Amok (Today's Edition)

Garufa

OS,

I never considered tossing them in the food processer & grinding them into patties, maybe just maybe if I dumped a ton of seasoning in there with them I could choke them down.

Anyway I eat a lot of fish, all kinds of fish ... it's a regular staple food in our household, but I can't seem to get used to the foul-flavor of any species of carp.

It doesn't matter if I fillet out all of the dark meat & mud vein, they still taste like what I'd imagine unwashed ass to taste like. :)

If you look at the river as a living thing, a carp IS the ass :)

RichardR, 

How is the shad? I know back in the day even our first president and his men enjoyed them out of the Delaware but I've heard they are extremely boney. I've heard they are tasty and a put up a good battle but the bones are a problem for cleaning. Just wonderin.

Guest semiautots

If you look at the river as a living thing, a carp IS the ass :)

So is the catfish, and you fellers eat the crap (sorry for the pun) outta that fish!

RichardR, 

How is the shad? I know back in the day even our first president and his men enjoyed them out of the Delaware but I've heard they are extremely boney. I've heard they are tasty and a put up a good battle but the bones are a problem for cleaning. Just wonderin.

We have gizzard and threadfin shad in TN, nothing like the ocean run shad on the eastern seaboard. But they are small, 6 or 7 inches max adulthood.

What most people call "shad" in TN are actually skipjack, or river herring, 1-4 lbs. And trust me, you just don't want to fool with them unless you were starving.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

RichardR,

I have only ever used them as bait, as far as bait fish go they are the best.

Around here they are pretty small, swim in big schools, are easy to net & have a nice oily flesh that really gets the scent of a baited one really far down river.

But I've never tried eating them.

We have gizzard and threadfin shad in TN, nothing like the ocean run shad on the eastern seaboard. But they are small.

What most people call "shad" in TN are actually skipjack, or river herring. And trust me, you just don't want to fool with them unless you were starving.

- OS

Well said OS. :)

Right on, thanks for the info on the shad. I'da been looking for the salmon size. Bait it is. Just picked up a fishing kayak so I'm looking forward to seeing what I can reel out of Douglas.  

The skipjacks are sporty to catch on light tackle, that's about it. Carp is a delicacy compared to them in the frying pan IMNSHO, mainly because the herring flesh softens after death really quickly. Growing up, folks like to say they're rotten before you can get them off the hook. :)

skipjack.jpg

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Right on, thanks for the info on the shad. I'da been looking for the salmon size. Bait it is. Just picked up a fishing kayak so I'm looking forward to seeing what I can reel out of Douglas.

Good luck tossing a cast net from a kayak, I have a hard time doing it standing in a flatbottom, I guess you could find a bait shop that has live-tanks with shad for sale in it but I don't usually mess with any live bait aside from crawlers or crickets when I'm fishing from a canoe or kayak, in fact most of the time I just use lures & jigs, it simplifies things a bit in the cramped space.

Unfortunately I am not familiar with the Douglas, is it fast or slow moving water? Shallow or deep? Clear or muddy? Lots of inlets, outlets, oxbows? Anyway you will either have to drift fish, tie off or anchor - depending on the location, current & water conditions I usually end up doing a bit of all three during the course of the day.

A good DSI sonar/gps unit is IMHO invaluable for finding (and marking) not only where the fishies are but also stuff like drops/holes, bottom composition, structures & shoals/ledges.

The gps feature can save those locations to your map so you can find them again & it can also help you find your way back home if the river you are fishing is unfamiliar to you & has a lot of branches, inlets, outlets, oxbows, etc & you need to find your way back to your pickup point before dark sets.

Oh that reminds me, I should mention that while canoeing & kayaking is fantastic fun (with or without fishing) paddling them up a river, especially one with a strong fast moving current is exhausting, so I usually start my trip up river & work my way down with the current to a predetermined pickup point.

It is always also good to have two-way marine radios (one for you, one for the person at the pickup point) cell-phone coverage can be spotty (at least most places that I fish) & cell-phones tend to stop working when they get wet.

WTH does any of this fishing talk have to do with yet another guvment entity deciding what people can and cannot call things?  Let's try to focus people.   :lol:

Hey there's a special dispensation for fishing and golf! Ain't it in the Constitution somewhere?

- OS

I say we call them "The Fish Formerly Known as Asian Carp" and give them some sort of undescernable symbol as their real name...

... or maybe a symbol of a fish with slanted eyes.

I'm pretty sure it's offensive to even think of slanted eyes.  Lord only knows what would happen if your children drew stick figures with flat lines for eyes instead of circles.

WTH does any of this fishing talk have to do with yet another guvment entity deciding what people can and cannot call things? Let's try to focus people. :lol:

LOL I am sorry, I figured everyone would be in agreement that those responsible for making this an issue are all douches.

Besides the thread drift was about FISHING! Oh man do I luvz me some fishing :)
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest sigequinox

it amazes me that our lawmakers seem to have the time to deal with such nonsense as well as all the unconstitutional gun proposals. We are in a bad economic state, most nations of the world are in poor economic state, Russia wants Ukraine back, China wants Hong Kong and East China Sea back, Hilary Clinton, Eric Holder and others are knee deep in scandals no one is doing anything about, our rights are being dissolved, Obamacare is a [useless] mess, Russia is working with South American countries to bring ships over to our hemisphere, unemployment is high, welfare and government aid is spiraling out of control, some states are close to declaring bankruptcy, some cities already have, heroine and prescription drug epidemics are spreading and somehow these POS are sitting around drafting papers about the damn Asian Carp? WTF has happened to this country?

Edited by sigequinox

it amazes me that our lawmakers seem to have the time to deal with such nonsense as well as all the unconstitutional gun proposals. We are in a bad economic state, most nations of the world are in poor economic state, Russia wants Ukraine back, China wants Hong Kong and East China Sea back, Hilary Clinton, Eric Holder and others are knee deep in scandals no one is doing anything about, our rights are being dissolved, Obamacare is a [useless] mess, Russia is working with South American countries to bring ships over to our hemisphere, unemployment is high, welfare and government aid is spiraling out of control, some states are close to declaring bankruptcy, some cities already have, heroine and prescription drug epidemics are spreading and somehow these POS are sitting around drafting papers about the damn Asian Carp? WTF has happened to this country?

You're not alone, theres a storm a brewin!

I've actually been thinking of tossing a shotgun in the boat & skeet shooting them as I tool up & down the river, I always seem to manage to get at least a couple that fly up and try to smack me in the face &/or land in the boat, those end up as cut bait, but they ain't anywhere as good as shad.

I even tried to figure out a way to eat them, but even smoked with hickory they were pretty foul tasting.

They are a serious problem regardless of what some overly sensitive asshat wants them to be called, personally I think they are a freaking plague.

Fun shootin'! That sport's already been invented at Reelfoot! When you run through them and find them just turn around put a gunner on the front and drive circles through them and blast away when they jump!

I know one thing if a nasty ol eagle won't eat Asian carp I'm not going to either. Them things will usually eat anything so there must be something wrong with them.

Has a non-invasive species of plant or animal ever came out of Asia?
Guest Lester Weevils

The skipjacks are sporty to catch on light tackle, that's about it. Carp is a delicacy compared to them in the frying pan IMNSHO, mainly because the herring flesh softens after death really quickly. Growing up, folks like to say they're rotten before you can get them off the hook. :)

skipjack.jpg

- OS

For more thread drift-- I'm ignerant of fishing and fish, only did it a couple years as a teen in new orleans where it was real convenient for a kid to do. Just catch a bus to lake ponchartrain then take the fish back home on the bus, dripping fish slime onto the bus floor off the stringer. Seemed normal enough that time and place. Or just walk a few blocks to one of the many canals.

Anyhoo, in the brackish water big lake ponchartrain, there were big schools of mullet that would never bite a hook, and there were predator fish called in that locality skipjack. As best I recall those skipjack were fairly skinny fish maybe three feet long or better. If you could hook one they would put up a purt good fight but can't recall if they were good eating. I was told those skipjack were salt water fish also common in the gulf. They seemed to hunt in packs-- It was very common to witness a school of skipjack corral up a school of mullet and start cutting it to pieces, and a big round piece of water would look like it was boiling for awhile. One location, at the mouth of industrial canal entering the ponchartrain, a salt water inlet to the lake, it looked like the skipjack would hold routine mullet ambushes, didn't have to wait all day to see one.

So are you aware of that kind of "skipjack" and what it might be called other places? Assuming that if it was so common in the louisiana gulf, maybe common other gulf or even atlantic regions?

So are you aware of that kind of "skipjack" and what it might be called other places? Assuming that if it was so common in the louisiana gulf, maybe common other gulf or even atlantic regions?

Maybe the ladyfish, "skipjack" is one colloquial name for them. I've caught them in the Keys, and no, nobody eats them. Dunno if they are in Pontchartrain or not but apparently can do brackish water too. (edit: looks like they are indeed in Pontchartrain).

I never caught one but about half the size of this one. They do acrobatics like small tarpon when hooked, similar to our own skipjack. (edit: looks like there are actually tarpon in Pontchartrain sometimes too).

Rhad%20Hayden%20Boat%20Record%20ladyfish

But there is also a "skipjack shad" or "skipjack herring" down there in Pontchartrain too, get to about 20" apparently, and may even be same thing as our TN skipjack "river herring" so dunno.

Mullet are strange. Delicious, yet used more for cut bait and chum. People do catch them on hook and line, but very specialized technique necessary.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
[quote name="Oh Shoot" post="1135680" timestamp="1396982457"] Mullet are strange. Delicious, yet used more for cut bait and chum. People do catch them on hook and line, but very specialized technique necessary. - OS[/quote] Over on the gulf they pick them up with a cast net, and they are sold roadside and smoked. Absolutely delicious. I would argue better than smoked salmon for flavor. I expect to enjoy some in about 30 days. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Guest copperhead_1911

Apparently the term Asian Carp is now offensive to some...probably one or two people.  Now legislation is needed so as to not hurt anyone's delicate feelings.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/03/27/minnesota-legislators-consider-renaming-asian-carp/

This kind of crap (among other things) is how we are losing our country more and more and more. There is no freedom of thought even anymore. I think it was Mozilla that just had a CEO ousted because he dared support traditional marriage.

Guest semiautots

This kind of crap (among other things) is how we are losing our country more and more and more. There is no freedom of thought even anymore. I think it was Mozilla that just had a CEO ousted because he dared support traditional marriage.

Whoa now.  Don't be bringing that up . . .