Taurus/Back Up Gun

• 3 weeks later...

I own several Taurus guns; a 9mm, 44mag, 38 snubby, .380 and a Raging Judge 410/45lc. Only had one problem with the .380 and it was fixed quickly and returned in excellent order plus I got 2 free extra magazines for my trouble. The Judge is always with me on the farm. I know Taurus has been through some rough times but IMHO they work well.

In the spirit of "Opinions are like buttholes; everyone's got one, and they all stink!" I'll say that I've had a Taurus .380 and a Slim 9. Both had better triggers than the Kahrs and Rugers of the same class, and both ate all ammo that I tried to put through them. The Taurus .22 revolver that I bought for my wife was a total POS.

• Like 1

Alright, I got what I want.  I found a Ruger SP101 in .357 magnum with a 3" barrel used (barely) for just over $400 at Nashville Armory.  I just started paying on it so it'll be a little while before I have it, but for all intents and purposes it's MINE!  Thanks for all your input!

[quote name="wablackhawks" post="1142500" timestamp="1398392786"]Alright, I got what I want. I found a Ruger SP101 in .357 magnum with a 3" barrel used (barely) for just over $400 at Nashville Armory. I just started paying on it so it'll be a little while before I have it, but for all intents and purposes it's MINE! Thanks for all your input![/quote] Great price!

I will give you my Buyer Beware Taurus story.  I WAS a big fan of the 709 Slim.  Almost identical to the S&W Shield.  I have had it for at least 6 years, so it was made before the firearms 'crunch'/panic period.  Shot it frequently and essentially flawless......until it had a misfire, then another and then to the point it would rarely shoot.  I thought it needed a new striker assembly.  Sent it back to Taurus (as I recall cost around $60).  Taurus kept it for 3 months telling me they had to order parts.  They replaced the barrel because the headspace was out of spec.  Still didn't solve the problem.  Then they replaced the striker assembly, which by the way they had to 'order'.  Another month goes by.  According to them that did not fix the problem.  They didn't know what was wrong evidently.  With a less than pleasant phone call, to their credit, they sent me a new gun.  I sold it, NIB.  My biggest problem is that of quality.  So the moral of the story is; I wouldn't trust my life to a Taurus.  Will they honor their lifetime warranty; yes, eventually.

Edited by chances R

Alright, I got what I want.  I found a Ruger SP101 in .357 magnum with a 3" barrel used (barely) for just over $400 at Nashville Armory.  I just started paying on it so it'll be a little while before I have it, but for all intents and purposes it's MINE!  Thanks for all your input!

Great gun and a great price, but that is a heavy BUG. There is one thing that you need to be cautious of and that is the ejector rod. If you ever start doing emergency reloads or practicing them beware of the flimsy ejector rods, they can bend.