any one here ever reload and CBC 762 (308) brass

I tried firing some of this in my Remington 700 with terrible results, the would fail to extract. From the looks of the primer they had been loaded very hot, so I am wondering if it is worth the time to pull the rest of the projectiles and resize then reload the brass for further use. or just send in the brass for recycling all opinions would welcome. As a further note I did read the there was a lot of problems with cbc rounds in the past, just wondering again if the brass is worth dealing with.

thanks in advance

I just went and inspected about 30 rounds of once fired CBC brass I had in the back and couldn't see any signs of high pressure. I dont have any .308 dies but do have a universal decapping die so I knocked the primers out and everything looked good there. I also didn't see any gouges or sign of any extractor issues. So in the name of full disclosure, I have never loaded any CBC .308 brass BUT I couldn't find any reason why it wouldn't reload and run just as well as any other brass. Hopefully someone else will chime in with better info for you. If i'm not mistaken I saw Red shooting some CBC ammo at the range in Woodbury once and I know he loads so there is a good chance he has some first hand knowledge so he might be the one to send a PM to.

Do .308 rounds work well?

7.62 case is not the same as a 308 case, very close, but not the same.

7.62 is just a bit smaller and shorter at the place where the neck it tapered.

You should check you chamber close for defects.

The primer pocket will need some work, ream or swag to remove the crimp.

You have form fired the brass to you chamber, check the brass for cracks and deformation.

If it is OK, reload it and see how it works.

All my 7.62, 308 rifles are semi autos, only bolt action is a 7mm Rem Mag.

That day I was shooting my Saiga, it will eat anything that will chamber.

Edited by RED333

7.62 case is not the same as a 308 case, very close, but not the same.

7.62 is just a bit smaller and shorter at the place where the neck it tapered.

Can you show us a line drawing of both cartridges to back this up?

I've been shooting 7.62 NATO in .308 chambers for over 30 years.

Can you show us a line drawing of both cartridges to back this up?

I've been shooting 7.62 NATO in .308 chambers for over 30 years.

.308 Win vs. 7.62x51--The Straight Scoop( got this from another site)
Before we go much further, lets address the oft-posed question "Are the .308 Winchester and 7.62x51 NATO one and the same?" The simple answer is no. There are differences in chamber specs and maximum pressures. The SAMMI/CIP maximum pressure for the .308 Win cartridge is 62,000 psi, while the 7.62x51 max is 50,000 psi. Also, the headspace is slightly different. The .308 Win "Go Gauge" is 1.630" vs. 1.635" for the 7.62x51. The .308's "No-Go" dimension is 1.634" vs. 1.6405" for a 7.62x51 "No Go" gauge. That said, it is normally fine to shoot quality 7.62x51 NATO ammo in a gun chambered for the .308 Winchester (though not all NATO ammo is identical). Clint McKee of Fulton Armory notes: "[N]obody makes 7.62mm (NATO) ammo that isn't to the .308 'headspace' dimension spec. So 7.62mm ammo fits nicely into .308 chambers, as a rule." You CAN encounter problems going the other way, however. A commercial .308 Win round can exceed the max rated pressure for the 7.62x51. So, you should avoid putting full-power .308 Win rounds into military surplus rifles that have been designed for 50,000 psi max..... Reloaders should also note that military ammo often is made with a thicker web. Consequently the case capacity of 7.62x51 brass is usually less than that of commercial .308 brass. You may need to reduce recommended .308 Winchester loads by as much as 2 full grains, if you reload with military 7.62x51 brass, such as Lake City or IMI.

Well I got it bassacawards

[url=http://s896.photobucket.com/user/redintn/media/308%20bullet%20drop/762v308_zpsf599a24d.jpg.html]762v308_zpsf599a24d.jpg[/URL]

Edited by RED333
Having read all the responses and thanks for them, and let me clarify that I am new to reloading, so this is a learning process for me. Again having read what has been posted and the 2 cases not being the same, what does it take in terms of dies etc to reload the 762 case to 308 round or is better to just scrap them and get real 308 cases? Or again can the cbc case be used successfully as a 308 round with a lighter load then they were originally loaded with. The reason for the original question is I attempted to fire the rounds in my 700 and had problems with extraction as reported in another thread, and decided that I would not use the live rounds any longer, but had hoped I could use the case to reload with a lighter load after resizing the brass, thanks again for the info and help.

Your drawing seems to show that chambers for each could be different. What I'm asking is for you to show me the dimensional difference between 2 cartridges sitting side by side. I don't think that 7.62 NATO is made to a different size than commercial .308. I know about the pressure difference, I'm just talking physical dimension of the cartridge itself.

Red333,

You found info on the net to support your side, so here is what I found to support mine.

Winchester introduced the .308 cartridge to the sporting world in 1952, and was adopted as the official U.S. Military cartridge in 1954, even though there were, at that time, no suitable military weapon adopted nor chambered for the round. The early military nomenclature was T-65, which was still technically an ‘experimental’ cartridge and rifle, having not yet been adopted.

When the trials finally came to a halt, the .308 Winchester was adopted into the  U.S. Military as the 7.62x51mm, later accepted by NATO, and known as the 7.62x51mm NATO.

The external dimensions of the .308 Winchester and the 7.60x51 NATO cartridge are identical in every way, and completely interchangeable, the differences being the web of the military cartridge is thicker near the base, creating a lower internal capacity, thus necessitating a smaller powder charge to achieve identical ballistics, and a slightly larger chamber dimension, due to the nature of military use; dirt, dust, mud, and sand inevitably being ever-present on the battlefield.

Load it light and work up, watching for pressure signs or max velocity on the chronograph.

I've loaded many 7.62 cases in the last 30 years. LC, IMI, TW, Winchester. I don't attempt to load max loads anymore, so all these cases are safely reloadable if you use moderate loads.

Edited by Westwindmike

well ok then, can the case be reliably reloaded for 308 use, using a light load or should the case be tossed? Thanks Again

Like I originally stated, I would not hesitate in the least to reload the brass. I have some of the exact same brass and I fully intend to reload them when I run out of factory ammo for the .308. If you start out towards the minimum listed charge you will be okay. As far as your .308 die set goes, even if the 7.62 brass had slightly different dimensions, they would have the .308 outside dimensions once you run them through your .308 dies. Same goes with .223 because I have never seen a set of "5.56" dies and I have run thousands upon thousands of pieces of 5.56 brass through my .223 dies and never once had an issue. My favorite load isn't close to the max load so I load each case the same whether it is .223 or 5.56 and can't tell any difference from one round to the next. BUT you being new to reloading you should start at the published minimum and work your way up.

• Like 1
Thanks for all the input I will be using the brass, as a side note I did run 1 through a die and it went through with no problems, that was not the case when I had fired about 5 of the rounds when I first used them. As I mentioned, when I fired the first few rounds it was discovered that they were loaded very hot, hence the concerns and questions concerning the brass, thanks for all the imput, happy shooting.
  • Like 1