My Gun Addiction Solved (sort of temporary)

runco

A couple of weeks ago, I replied to the Gun Addicts Anonymous; Somebody stop me....by Troutburger (http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/77356-gun-addicts-anonymous-somebody-stop-me/), that got me to slow down and reflect on myself. At the same time little did I know that something was occurring that would solve my addiction or at least potentially place me on the path of recovery.

My soon to be 9 year old son is in his 4th year of baseball. He has been an average kid, nothing special, his hitting has always been respectful, and well he has always played in the outfield, you get my drift. This season has been different. He has turned the corner, and for the first time in his career has graduated from the outfield to the infield playing 2nd base and he has been tried at Short Stop. Plus, he is also going to be the #1 in the batting lineup. He is really looking sharp in practice!

So what does this got to do with my gun addiction and obsession? Well, due to his new and great performance, I have purchased him the new Easton Mako bat, New helmet, New batting bag, new cleats, and a new batting net where he and I can practice his hitting. And I want to reward him even more, like baseball summer camp, and maybe trying him on a travel team. When my wife found the new accessories, the bat alone is $300, she said good grief, you are taking this baseball thing just as bad as your gun obsession. He already has 3 other bats that were more than what you can buy at Walmart. I told the wife, one good thing about this new obsession, I won't be into guns as much or have the time (at least that is what I told her)!

So I am on the gun addiction solved wagon, or at least for the next 3 mos.

Other than limited on funds, what has been your gun addiction treatment path of recovery, and have you been cured? If you are reading this post on a gun forum, that may be a silly question. Edited by Runco
  • Like 1
Guest semiautots

Can't think of a thing.  2 girls here, with travel softball and volleyball for both.  Oldest starts UT next year. 

Can't think of a thing.

Be sure not to burn him out. A child has a short attention span. He needs plenty of off time from baseball as well as plenty of practice and playing time.

I have two boys who live for baseball. On is in little league, and one on the high school team.

I've always liked guns but never felt a need to compulsively buy them.  Guns themselves may be an addiction, heck I would even call it a lifestyle, but I've always been content with what I had and welcomed a new gun into the fold when the right deal came along.  Always wanted a 1911, and I waited for years until a really good deal on a Kimber came my way.  Most guns that I have came to me in a similar fashion.  At times in life when I had excess money I certainly bought more guns.  These days with a 4 year old, a wife in college, and a mortgage the purchase of fun things is but a distant memory and something to aspire to again.    

Be sure not to burn him out. A child has a short attention span. He needs plenty of off time from baseball as well as plenty of practice and playing time.

I have two boys who live for baseball. On is in little league, and one on the high school team.

Yes the time off can be spent at the range but that's not going to solve your original problem. Congrats on your sons athletics.

Other than limited on funds, what has been your gun addiction treatment path of recovery, and have you been cured? If you are reading this post on a gun forum, that may be a silly question.

I decided since the safe had overflowed, i should slow down on purchases. I'm spending my funds on my truck at the moment. I upgraded my Dodge Ram to a newer model, so now my gun money will be diverted to... Leveling kit, 35" tires, Bilstein shocks, a new bed toolbox, window tint, and a couple of offload lights mounted behind the grill (or front bumper light bar... haven't decided yet). Hey, gotta have my ride offroadable!!

Oh yes, in the spirit of upgrading my truck, it definitely needs a new "truck gun" ;) Edited by Batman

I decided since the safe had overflowed, i should slow down on purchases. I'm spending my funds on my truck at the moment. I upgraded my Dodge Ram to a newer model, so now my gun money will be diverted to... Leveling kit, 35" tires, Bilstein shocks, a new bed toolbox, window tint, and a couple of offload lights mounted behind the grill (or front bumper light bar... haven't decided yet). Hey, gotta have my ride offroadable!!

Oh yes, in the spirit of upgrading my truck, it definitely needs a new "truck gun" ;)

You....are hopeless.

Typical southern male.   Guns and trucks. Or is it trucks and guns?

• Like 1

Meh, every needs a hobby and guns are expensive. Sure, I have spend more than I wanted on guns, but the king of my spending is still legos. Every month I will buy a set. Been doing it since I was 6. I had to stop for a few months due to moving, divorce and running out of shelves. The last one being the biggest culprit.

Dude, I went down this road with my daughter and softball.  STOP NOW!!!  Buying firearms will be MUCH CHEAPER over the long run!!!  The only good thing that comes out of it is the time you get to spend with your kid. Which I wouldn't trade for the world.  Just wish we'd have spent that time at the range instead of at the ball field with a bunch of stupid coaches.

I have been very conscious of this.  Its at his pace, but I want him to have excellent equipment and opportunities that I did not have at this same age.  He really does like baseball.  Any time that I can steal him away from video games is a big plus in my book! 

• Like 1

Dude, I went down this road with my daughter and softball.  STOP NOW!!!  Buying firearms will be MUCH CHEAPER over the long run!!!  The only good thing that comes out of it is the time you get to spend with your kid. Which I wouldn't trade for the world.  Just wish we'd have spent that time at the range instead of at the ball field with a bunch of stupid coaches.

Thanks for the advice.  The coaches for my son's current team are well known to me.   If we decide to go to the next level, i.e. travel ball, I will be very mindful of the coaches.  I am not necessarily a timid quiet parent, I have got in trouble before for being loud, but not rude or in conflicts with other parents.  :whistle: