BREAKING Better buy all the 5.45 you can find

M855 has steel jacket over lead core. So does all the currently manufactured Russian stuff.  Because a magnet sticks, lots of folks think it's steel "core", but it's not.

- OS

Are you certain of that? This was copied from Wikipedia and is more in line with what I previously thought to be true:

Cartridge, Caliber 5.56 mm, Ball, M855 (United States): 5.56×45mm 62-grain FN SS109-equivalent ball cartridge with a steel penetrator tip over a lead core in a partial copper jacket. [green tip]

Are you certain of that? This was copied from Wikipedia and is more in line with what I previously thought to be true:

Cartridge, Caliber 5.56 mm, Ball, M855 (United States): 5.56×45mm 62-grain FN SS109-equivalent ball cartridge with a steel penetrator tip over a lead core in a partial copper jacket. [green tip]

Well, okay, steel "tip", whatever. Point is, it's not a steel core.

Course, if No_One is correct, apparently wouldn't mater if it were depleted uranium core.

- OS

I've got one more question to raise.  I mean this in a good Christian way.

Where the @#%$ is the NRA, GOA, etc. when the ATF runs amok with these rules...

GOA finally moved on it.

I found this e-mail alert this morning.

Link below.

Lawless Obama Shreds More Constitutional Protections for Steel Core 5.45x39 Ammo
Wednesday, 02 April 2014 20:18 Written by Gun Owners

GOA finally moved on it.

I found this e-mail alert this morning.

Other than crying "foul", and spreading the word with the article, it doesn't sound like the GOA is actually doing anything yet.

From the last line of the article:

"ACTION: Please contact your representative. Tell him to reject any ATF spending bill which does not defund ATF's unlawful regulatory activities."

Other than crying "foul", and spreading the word with the article, it doesn't sound like the GOA is actually doing anything yet.

True...but it's a far cry more than the NRA is doing...

Unfortunately, "We the People" aren't doing our job either...we keep re-electing the same asshats. :squint:

The NRA is not going to go up against the ATF for one specific type or "brand" if you will, of ammunition.  First of all, there are substitutes so no one's rights are being violated, other than in the pocket, but what does the government care about that.  Second, the NRA has some deep pockets but not deep enought to fight this battle.

The NRA is not going to go up against the ATF for one specific type or "brand" if you will, of ammunition.  First of all, there are substitutes so no one's rights are being violated, other than in the pocket, but what does the government care about that.  Second, the NRA has some deep pockets but not deep enought to fight this battle.

On one hand I agree with what you're saying. We have to choose our fights wisely.

Heck..I don't even own an AK in this caliber...

but it's still the chipping away of our rights, one little piece at a time, that bugs me.

Okay, I thought it was any of the 5.45X39 import stuff.

No, no shortage at all with newly manufactured Russian stuff in that caliber. Hasn't really jumped way up in price from norm either, 'bout a quarter a round in hand.

Bad news is, this is about same price as for .223 or 7.62x39, but not the cheaper hit that folks that use it have been accustomed to with the surplus stuff. 'Bout like if they stopped all the surplus for 7.62x54R suddenly I reckon -- the Mosin would suddenly become the most closeted gun in America!

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
We'll is still cheaper then 7.62, but best I figure,223,556 is still running.45-.50 a shot. So if 5.45 runs in the AR I'm ahead, for 7.62 I'll keep running it in the AK, until they come up with a reliable AR for 7.62

At TulAmo running .25 I'll keep shooting my new little friend the 5.45
At least on the range!!

FlyBoy Edited by Flyboy

ATF has released official statement now, don't think that has been posted?:

http://www.atf.gov/press/releases/2014/04/040714-special-advisory-test-examination-and-classification-7n6-545x39-ammunition.html

"TEST, EXAMINATION AND CLASSIFICATION OF 7N6 5.45X39 AMMUNITION
On March 5, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) received a request from the U.S. Customs and Border Protection agency (CBP) to conduct a test, examination and classification of Russian-made 7N6 5.45x39 ammunition for purposes of determining whether it is considered “armor piercing ammunition” as defined by the Gun Control Act (GCA), as amended. Since 1986, the GCA has prohibited the importation of armor piercing ammunition unless it is destined for government use or testing. The imported ammunition about which CBP was inquiring was not destined for either excepted purpose.
The Gun Control Act of 1968 (GCA), as amended, defines the term “armor piercing ammunition” as:
“(i) a projectile or projectile core which may be used in a handgun and which is constructed entirely (excluding the presence of traces of other substances) from one or a combination of tungsten alloys, steel, iron, brass, bronze, beryllium copper, or depleted uranium; or
(ii) a full jacketed projectile larger than .22 caliber designed and intended for use in a handgun and whose jacket has a weight of more than 25 percent of the total weight of the projectile.” (emphasis added)
When ATF tested the 7N6 samples provided by CBP, they were found to contain a steel core. ATF’s analysis also concluded that the ammunition could be used in a commercially available handgun, the Fabryka Bronie Radom, Model Onyks 89S, 5.45x39 caliber semi-automatic pistol, which was approved for importation into the United States in November 2011. Accordingly, the ammunition is “armor piercing” under the section 921(a)(17)( B )(i) and is therefore not importable. ATF’s determination applies only to the Russian-made 7N6 ammunition analyzed, not to all 5.45x39 ammunition. Ammunition of that caliber using projectiles without a steel core would have to be independently examined to determine their importability."

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • 3 weeks later...

Yeah, I completely trolled that POS good for nothing prick on Facebook, and I wouldn't believe it if AIM or Cope's hadn't confirmed it.

Why do you hate him?

And why admit you're a troll? 

Not meaning to stir the pot but it I'd like to know why you feel that way.

Edited by frontier737

Why do you hate him?

And why admit you're a troll? 

Not meaning to stir the pot but it I'd like to know why you feel that way.

The way he carries himself is why I don't like him.

I'll admit, I was upset about the 5.45 ban, but I can't forget about his warning in early March about how 7.62 was going to be gone. Completely wrong.