M&P 10 vs SR 762

Ray Z

I sold a couple of safe queens and now I'm in the market for an AR in 308. I got a look at the S&W at the last gun show and it looks good. Looked at the SR 762 on Ruger's site. Both look good. Which one would you get and why?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought the M&P10 w/18" barrel and it's my keeper. It uses Magpul Pmags and most DPMS 308 type FF handguards fit it. I'm not sure about the Ruger SR 762 standardization with other 308's.  I've added MI ff handrail, low profile gasblock, Troy Battlesights front/rear, Burris QD mount with Nixon 4-12x40 scope and Harris bipod. Groups well and fun to shoot at 100yds. I need to try it at 300yds. I had a FNAR in 308 and ths is more friendly and easier to disassemble.

M&P with scope and Troy sights added in original configuriation:

[url=http://s1029.photobucket.com/user/lshel63/media/SHOTGUN/43-SWMampP10-RS.jpg.html]43-SWMampP10-RS.jpg[/URL]

M&P10 with modifications:

[url=http://s1029.photobucket.com/user/lshel63/media/SHOTGUN/47-SWMampP10-RS.jpg.html]47-SWMampP10-RS.jpg[/URL]

Edited by lshel

If it's in your price range I'd recommend you take a look at the SCAR 17. I've had four different ARs in 308 and the SCAR is the one I decided to stick with.

Thanks Major Kong but that's way, way out of my price range. I've still got a Bersa Firestorm that I'm looking to turn loose of for $250. But that still doesn't get me near the $3200 range.

The SW has 5R rifling in barrel which enhances accuracy and the thinner barrel helps in overall weight. Either 308 is a good entry level for the money. I believe the SR 762 being a piston operated is more expensive out of the box. I sold three handguns to buy my M&P10 and to add some extras. Good luck with your choice !

Bud's Discount Guns has both SR 762 piston driven 16" barrel at $1542 (8.6#) and SW M&P10 18" barrel midlength gas block $1249 (7.7#). The SR 762 has a picatinny rail but does not say if freefloat which would be a plus on cost and accuracy.

Like my M&P10 just fine. It is currently wearing a 13.8" TRX but there is a VTAC rail on the way for it. Going to take the 3-9 off and run a 1-4 on it. It is going to be an intermediate range heavy carbine.

The TRX & the 3-9 are going on a CMT 308 when they are released.

Mark

Between the Sig 716 and Ruger.......opinions??