Crimson Trace laser grips coming for the new Smith & Wesson M&P automatics

TGO David

• Administrator

Reposting this from elsewhere... can't wait til the finished product is available as I'd like to order some for both my and my wife's compacts.

One of the benefits shooting where I shoot is that one of our RSOs has a daytime job at Crimson Trace.

This weekend he brought in an engineering prototype of the LG-660. This is the 1st Lasergrip to incorporate the new 3mm laser diode. It also uses a new type of on/off switch located below the activation switch. Rather than a slide switch, this one is a button-type switch. Press it once, the unit is energized. Press it again, the unit is off.

As you can see in the illustration below: LG-660.jpg

the laser grip simply replaces the interchangeable grip panel. It is installed in the same manner one would use to switch grip sizes. The LG-660 will be available in one size, replacing the MEDIUM sized grip. The unit uses two CR-2032 button cells for power.

Use of the laser grip is intuitive. Power the unit on by drepessing the on/off swtich. Once the unit is energized, grip the weapon as you would normally. Standard grip pressure on the backstrip will activate the laser. In cases where you would prefer not to be lasing away, modify your grip slightly so that the laser does not activate. I find this easier to accomplish with this unit than with the LG-617 (for Glocks 17, 22, 24, 31, 34, 35, and 37).

The new 3mm laser diode gives this unit an advantage for left-handed shooters. If you are of the sinister persuasion and have had the opportunity to fire a pistol with CT grips installed, you may have encountered some discomfort where the diode housing rubs against the knuckle of your strong side thumb. The smaller diode does not require such a large housing and the decrease in size is sigificant. I encountered none of the irritation I had with the Glock unit. This is a Good Thing.

Current 3mm diodes are producing an aiming dot that is larger than the one produced by the 5mm diodes. This may or may not be desirable. Still, I found the nice bright red dot that this unit produces leaves no doubt as to where you are aiming. This dot may be all that is necessary to resolve the problem. Secondly, the reduced housing size should allow you to use your current holster without modification.

There is a small change in grip geometry, caused by the need to accommodate the batteries. I find that this change acutally improves my ability to grip the weapon.

All in all this unit looks like a great implementation for the M&P. At present it seems that the 660 will fit the full-sized 9mm, .40 S&W, .357 Sig, and .45 ACP models. I haven't heard if a model for the Compact M&Ps is under development. I would not be surprised to learn if one were.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I bet that obstruction makes it difficult for a lefty to access the slide release...

For a righty (like me), This would be perfect... There is a similar product for the removable back-strap location on Sig-Pro pistols. If I had either of these pistols, I would get one. I'm a sucker for integrated technology

:confused:

• Administrator

I'm about 90% ambidextrous when it comes to shooting handguns. RH is always easier for me but LH is actually more accurate. Anyway, I have gotten to where if I shoot LH, I just knock the slide release on my 1911 with my LH index finger rather than try to reposition the gun where I can manipulate it with my thumb.

Adapt and survive! :confused: