PT709 or TCP

So I still have not found a Semi Auto carry piece.

Small or it will stay at home.

Does no good in the safe does it?

9mm would be nice, but

NO, I am only considering these two pieces so limit comments on best choice between the two please.

Thanks.

Edited by Louisb

My best recommendation is to shoot both and pick the one you're most comfortable/accurate with. 

How do you intend to carry it and how concerned are you with concealment?  The TCP is clearly a pocket pistol and nearly invisible.... you can buy a phone that's bigger.  The 709 can be a pocket pistol, if you've got big pockets.  Since the 709 is considerably larger, it's likely to be much easier/fun to shoot.

With today's .380 shortage I would consider a PT709.

I've found .380 easier to come by than 9mm.  YMMV. 

I have both..and I really like both. The TCP is perfect for pocket carry. The 709 is more for IWB carry. I think they are both great for defensive purposes. The 709s trigger isn't marksmen oriented, but that's not what I bought it for. The TCP is hard to beat for the money. Long smooth trigger with no external safety. It has an internal hammer.

we had a 709 and I really liked it.   Sold it as the wife has gone revolver over auto, not because of any issue.   It was reliable and small, best way I could describe it is a lot like a small glock would be.

Not a fan of DAO so the tcp is not something I have tried.  Likely it is also reliable, if you can manage to pull the trigger.  So, basically, its a smaller caliber in a harder to use gun, and in every way I can think of apart from the dimensions (in which case, by the way, both lose to smaller pistols), the 709 is 'better'. 

I know you said keep it to those 2 but I recommend you consider anything and everything.  There are tons of other small pistols in the 380 and 9,  and again, given how different these 2 are, I can't think of a common theme to even make a suggestion, all I was able to get was {small, possibly must be taurus brand}.

I have owned both.  Still have the 709 and only sold the TCP because the wife bought a Bodyguard and didn't need two pocket pistols in the family.  I love the 709 and it has been 100% reliable.  Long trigger pull but a reasonable reset.  If you don't specifically need a pocket gun, I would go with the 709 out of your choices.  9mm over .380 considering stopping power, availability, cost, etc.